Upgrading a Penn 117 (14/0)

Started by Alto Mare, December 29, 2012, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Daron, I don't remember where mine came from, I got them a few years ago off someone. I only have two and they're installed in my reels. I'm also interested in doing what you're doing and been putting together some gear for myself for a while now.
I've asked Alan to get us some over a year ago,  he said he would have to order quite a few. I don't think there is much demand for those :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 18, 2013, 11:04:43 PM
I am sure Lee can hook me up with some ss dogs to Double dog it!

Yup, I still have a few and can make small runs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I'll take a pair of those Bad Boys Lee. When you get my check for the 114's, send those to me and we will do it again.
Life is Good!

RockyMtnKurt

HI Sal. I really appreciate the picture documentation of your excellent build and the SS dogs look really sweet. I was wondering if it is necessary for the dogs to simultaneously engage to provide the optimal mechanical advantage on the anti-reverse gearing?  Thanks for your time and help.

Bunnlevel Sharker

With double dogs, you have to options. simutaneous and alternating. Alternating takes out handle slop, and simultaneous adds more strength
Grayson Lanier

RockyMtnKurt

Got it. It would seem to me simultaneous dogs also spreads the force on the gear to the two points, which would lower the force at each contact point. Now that I think about it, the shaft may benefit by having more balanced pressure from both sides with simultaneous dogs which might help on bushing or bearing wear as loads increase. Thanks for the quick response.

Shark Hunter

Simultaneous is the way to go on these Monsters Kurt. After reading these old posts, I sure have come a long way, mainly from Sal. He does some astonishing things to these reels. There is a lot to be learned here.
Now I own this Reel! Thanks Sal!
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I hated to do this, but it was for the greater good! ;)
I need the electramate sleeve out of this reel from Sal for testing to a higher power!
Your Dating System help up well old Buddy. 8)
Two things stand out here that are not like my double dogged 14. The Second Dog and the bottom of the bridge are knife edged.
Just admiring the masters work. His second dog cut is a little shorter than mine as is the spring, maybe that's why I fought mine so much.

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I can't take the credit for that one, that was Dominick's idea. He does come up with some good once in a while ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

crackerman

I just looked it up, these stainless sleeves are available from electramate. Are they a direct drop in for the original penn part? Prior to this had never even known they existed...

Shark Hunter

Yes,
They are plug and play if you want to pay $100 each! :o
Life is Good!

crackerman

Direct from electramate they are 80, plus tax and shipping. Anyone here have an electramate account that can catch us big senator guys a break?

Shark Hunter

Just wait a little while. They might be for sale on here soon. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 26, 2015, 11:04:43 PM
Just wait a little while. They might be for sale on here soon. ;)

Still waiting...........

BTW Daron, I love your reel service date marking system..better then a sharpy or sticker in my opinion :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

That was Sal's writing John. I bought this reel from him. Dominick gave him the idea.
Life is Good!