Penn 710z

Started by Cone, January 04, 2013, 01:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 03, 2017, 05:43:32 AM
That line roller is definitely not normal.
There are no plastic line rollers on the z series.
Someone has pudged it.

Hi Daron, it isn't plastic. It's metal, and attracted to a magnet, but just not chrome or SS which is why it has me stumped. I see they are not available through Scott's so wondering if it is a dodgy!

Cheers,
Andrew

Shark Hunter

Sorry Andrew,
From the pic, I thought it was plastic. I have all the left handled even number z series and ss series and have never seen one like that.
It is new to me.
Daron
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ruffy on November 03, 2017, 04:54:38 AM
Here is a picture of the line roller. Is this normal?

Cheers,
Andrew
Hello Andrew, the line roller is very much normal.
On the first generation spinfishers, line rollers are Tungsten Carbide.
You will also find those on the Z series, but most on the ones with the blue box ...unless someone used the wrong box.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Thanks Sal, I had no idea?
Still taking me to School. ;)
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 03, 2017, 10:39:38 AM

Cheers,
Andrew
You will also find those on the Z series, but most on the ones with the blue box ...unless someone used the wrong box.

Best,

Sal

You should feel fortunate you've got the carbide roller! IMHO, in the older reels, nothing beats a carbide roller. SS won't hold a candle to the carbides. In the old days most of the better quality rods had a carbide tiptop. The rest of the guides were SS wire, agate, etc. but the tip ring was carbide on a good rod. They called them carboloy, the same thing used on masonry drill bits.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

wfjord

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 03, 2017, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 03, 2017, 10:39:38 AM

Cheers,
Andrew

Best,

Sal

You should feel fortunate you've got the carbide roller! IMHO, in the older reels, nothing beats a carbide roller. SS won't hold a candle to the carbides. In the old days most of the better quality rods had a carbide tiptop. The rest of the guides were SS wire, agate, etc. but the tip ring was carbide on a good rod. They called them carboloy, the same thing used on masonry drill bits.

That's particularly good to know!

After overhauling an old green 710 I recently acquired, I turned my attention to the ugly blackish looking line roller that couldn't be polished to a shine.  Next day took the reel to my local best tackle shop to see about getting a nice new shiney SS roller, but none of the SS rollers he had would fit so he gave me another old ugly black carbide roller identical to the one on the reel. Oh, great. So, back to the house, and I cleaned both of them up best I could and put one back on the reel, thinking I'd just have to live with it.  Ha! ---The joke's on me; and now I've got an extra one! 

oc1

The tungsten carbide tips are dark grey like that too.  I saw a couple of rods with carbide striper guides as well.  That stuff is really hard and won't groove, but it's also brittle so you have to be careful about not whacking it on something.
-steve

Ruffy

Thanks for the replies guys, I was waiting on some parts from Scott's before I posted a reply. Sounds like I did well, I've got a 710z with a carbide roller and metal sideplate! I got a new bail wire and fitted it up, which threw up a few issues of its own. When I put it in, the spool was at the top of its oscillation. The moment I went to wind it became very stiff. Turns out the crimped end of the new bail wire stuck out so far into the rotor that it impacted on the spool, taking a gouge out in the process >:( I had to take the bail wire off several times, filing down the crimp to get it to fit without taking too much meat off. I've greased the gouge on the spool and will have to keep an eye on it, without anodising now its an entry point for corrosion.

For anyone who has the same issue, the crimped end must not go through into the rotor at all. The gap between the spool and rotor is tight, if the bail wire sticks through at all you'll most likely have dramas.

Ruffy

A couple of observations as well. When I had the original cone shaped bail wire, I couldn't use a 704 handle on this reel. The handle fit, but impacted the bail wire every few rotations when the moons aligned. The new bail wire has a slightly smaller footprint, and the 704 handle fits a treat. If I see a 704z handle that matches colour I'll swap them over for a bit of extra leverage. Lastly was the drag washers, being an early 710z the top metal washer was dimpled with matching indentations on the drag knob. While it gave the drag a click type feel I wasn't a fan of how it incremented the drag, Scott's offer a replacement kit with new HT-100's, two flat keyed washers and one eared washer. The drag is now buttery smooth!

happyhooker

Just ran across this topic.  Very interesting.  Getting me more interested in Penn, for sure. 

Frank

handi2

I was still using Mitchell 300's while my friend got his new 712. We didn't like the clicking drag knob either so we turned that top washer upside down. We were bridge fishing for flounder, Spanish Mackerel, and Redfish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wfjord

I put new HT-100s in my 710, too, but I'm not fond of that knobby clicking metal washer, either.

Swami805

A side note on carboloy tip tops for rods, They still make them. I still use them on rods with the old bridged guides. Pretty much unbreakable and super slick. I have a few sets of guides with all carboloy rings too, pretty bullet proof for guys who are hard on their gear. Would be a great material for line rollers
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ruffy

Quote from: wfjord on November 24, 2017, 12:56:19 AM
I put new HT-100s in my 710, too, but I'm not fond of that knobby clicking metal washer, either.

Unfortunately you can't buy that washer separately from Scott's, you can only buy the complete stack of metal and HT-100. I needed new Ht-100s as my reel had the original stack in it, so I wasn't that fussed. I do now have a spare flat washer though, happy to put it in a plain envelope and send it back stateside if you'd like? Just PM me your address and I'll get it out on Monday!

Cheers,
Andrew

wfjord

Thank you very much, Andrew, I appreciate your offer.  I'm going to first check with a local tackle shop in town here that has a decent selection of parts for spinfishers. It also gives me a good excuse to spend time in the shop looking at stuff.  If they don't have one I'll give you a holler.