Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Started by rickjc, November 20, 2009, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I'd better start hitting up some mechanics.  Alan gifted one to me and it's going down...maybe I just need to refurbish the unit with more powerful transducers?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

by gifted, bryan means that i dumped it off on him because i wasn't using it and got tired of tripping over it all the time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CEShawn

I hate to bring this up, but been thinking about buying one of the small harbor freight ones with a 20% off coupon to try it.  Onboard our ship we have a huge unit, probably 40-60 gallons. 

Anyone dared, I know the size issue but I think there are just some pieces I want to try and learn.  To me its just part of the game, you just get into the park, dont hit a home run the first time at bat...

Pro Reel

I had one of harbor freights large one that lasted me 4 years. That's literally thousands of reels it cleaned. The only thing I hated was it didn't have a basket, it has a flat tray. I think it's hornady that sells an identical unit under their name for gun cleaning. They sell a full tray to fit it for around $15.

foakes

From what I have read -- this is the IDENTICAL unit sold by Lyman, the gunsmith and supply company -- comes out of the same factory in China -- just rebadged.

Many reviews state they work very well for small parts and such.

Any Ultrasonic cleaner works on the same principle --

A solid state electronic system driving transducers to transmit a sonic wave pattern through a liquid -- thus depending on the type of solutions -- clean small parts.

If I was buying this unit, I would download the 20% off coupon -- may or may not work if an item is already on sale.  Then I would buy the extended warranty for 2 years from HF for $20.  These are unrepairable due to the low price -- so if a failure occurs in the first 2 years -- you would get a new one.

With HF, one must be a savvy shopper when evaluating quality -- some things are very good values -- some are just junk.

Use separate containers inside the water reservoir filled with your choice of cleaners.  I use purple degreaser for greased metal parts, and simple green for bakelite, plastic, and more vulnerable items.

The reviews are decent -- and worth a try, I believe.

Let us know how it works out, if you get one.

Best,

Fred

Ship to Shore 95563 2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner 95563 alternate photo #1  2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner 95563 alternate photo #2
2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
Ship To Shore - Item#95563

Read 75 ReviewsWrite A Review
Clean jewelry, eyeglasses and valuables in minutes
Bookmark and Share
Only: $119.99
Sale: $84.99
Qty:  

This item may be available at your local Harbor Freight Tools Store
Add to Wishlist View Shipping Rates

Product Overview
Customer Reviews
Warranty
User Manual
Description

This ultrasonic cleaner makes it easy to clean items like jewelry, eyeglasses, waterproof watches, silverware and more! Just fill the cleaner with an appropriate ultrasonic cleaning powder (available separately), mix with water and then just drop in the items to be cleaned. The ultrasonic cleaner works with or without heat and features a clear-view window so you can see its cleaning power in action!
Higher power - 160 watts for more cleaning action
Five preset cycles takes the guesswork out of cleaning
Easy to read digital timer
Heated water function for improved cleaning when needed
Clear view window
Cleaning cycles with LED readouts
Specifications
Name   2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
SKU   95563
Brand   Chicago Electric Power Tools
AC Volts   120
Application   Jewelry, eyeglasses, waterproof watches, tableware, small metal parts
Quantity   1
Wattage (watts)   160
Product Height   7-1/4 in.
Product Length   11-3/8 in.
Product Width   9 in.
Shipping Weight   6.55 lb.
Accessories Included   Parts basket

Ship to Shore 95563 2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner 95563 alternate photo #1  2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner 95563 alternate photo #2
2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
Ship To Shore - Item#95563

Read 75 ReviewsWrite A Review
Clean jewelry, eyeglasses and valuables in minutes
Bookmark and Sharej
Only: $119.99
Sale: $84.99
Qty:  

This item may be available at your local Harbor Freight Tools Store
Add to Wishlist View Shipping Rates

Product Overview
Customer Reviews
Warranty
User Manual
Description

This ultrasonic cleaner makes it easy to clean items like jewelry, eyeglasses, waterproof watches, silverware and more! Just fill the cleaner with an appropriate ultrasonic cleaning powder (available separately), mix with water and then just drop in the items to be cleaned. The ultrasonic cleaner works with or without heat and features a clear-view window so you can see its cleaning power in action!
Higher power - 160 watts for more cleaning action
Five preset cycles takes the guesswork out of cleaning
Easy to read digital timer
Heated water function for improved cleaning when needed
Clear view window
Cleaning cycles with LED readouts
Specifications
Name   2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
SKU   95563
Brand   Chicago Electric Power Tools
AC Volts   120
Application   Jewelry, eyeglasses, waterproof watches, tableware, small metal parts
Quantity   1
Wattage (watts)   160
Product Height   7-1/4 in.
Product Length   11-3/8 in.
Product Width   9 in.
Shipping Weight   6.55 lb.
Accessories Included   Parts basket
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CEShawn

So I picked up that one at Harbor Freight this morning.  I was going to pick up the generic, basically jewelry one because I only wanted to clean a few parts, small parts at that.  We'll next thing I know, I use the 20% off coupon and I see this one has a heater so off I went.  I read the reviews, interesting as always, best highlight was it does not work like a commercial unit, well guess what its was $70 after discount, welcome to Harbor Freight.

I just wanted to try it with a few things and get the feel for it, I think I will be shopping for a better unit down the road because I can tell its handy. 

First off, dont know me, I literally just threw some parts in it and liked how they came out.  If I could figure out how to shrink pictures properly I bet if I used my nice Nikon you could see a difference in the parts.  I was leaving to look at a center console for my brother today, so I literally threw a reel in (with mono, its going to be taken off and renewed anyways) and had the wife cycle it a few times when I was away.  The most annoying feature was that it only runs for 480 seconds, to bad it wasnt easily changed, why it cant constantly stay on I dont know, duty cycle maybe lol.  The heater will stay on for 45 minutes, it gets warm, but not hot but again $70.  I know this, when I use it in my garage which is 45F today, it was steamy hot, of course due to some action too.  I will do the spool later after I take the line off. 

So here are some pictures, not sure if you can see or not... I was happy but also wonder if its the same as my neverdul but I can see crap out in the simple green solution.  Also trying the Dawn bit too...

What a week of learning :)

CEShawn

I wanted to just clean a couple of end plates.  This was dropped in, with heater already running, dropped in 1-8 minute cycle and then removed. 

This is stuff that didnt come off with just a paper towel.

CEShawn

So I think I need to learn a little more before I use the ultrasonic unit, yes there is a learning curve I bet. 

How come I can drop Penn handles in, then I think it was Okuma handle's in but then drop in a Daiwa Seagate handle and the knob looses its black color and becomes white?

Just using simple green...

Pro Reel

Simple green will discolor some items if left very long at all. Black is the worst, it will oxidize it. I pre clean everything with solvent, to remove grease, then use us cleaner to get tight spots. Just a few minutes then check them. If need longer, use dawn dish soap or era laundry soap. the era is good for green stained reels from pond scum.

Tightlines667

Quote from: CEShawn on March 28, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
So I think I need to learn a little more before I use the ultrasonic unit, yes there is a learning curve I bet. 

How come I can drop Penn handles in, then I think it was Okuma handle's in but then drop in a Daiwa Seagate handle and the knob looses its black color and becomes white?

Just using simple green...

The shimano rubber handles are prone to degradation if left in solvents (they become tacky), and older penn internationsl handles (with UV damage can lose their outter coating in solvent/ultrasonic bath.  Also, thin or cortoded copper parrs can get damaged in powerful ultrasonic cleaners.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Sharkin904

I've got one coming from my tool guy, did side work for a trade. How do these work? Fill tray with water, put tub with simple green for example, and parts in the water, turn on, magic, and done? I honestly don't know lol