UPGRADING A PENN 49

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Mounted the reel and tested it, I was a little disappointed to find that I was only able to get 10lb with the star tight all the way.

I will try a couple of things and see if I can get a little more.
These are nice reels, but not easy to use, I installed some magnets and the reel is much more manageable now.
I was  able to cast it with no issues with the line

I'll keep you posted if I get to increase the drags a bit.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal,
Interesting thread.  You are the first person that I've heard of who magged a 49. 

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 28, 2013, 02:23:15 PM
Mounted the reel and tested it, I was a little disappointed to find that I was only able to get 10lb with the star tight all the way.

Maybe enlarging the hole in the sideplate and installing a 113H drag pressure washer is an option?  That should distribute the pressure more evenly to the drag washers.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

George, I'm able to get a birdnest just by dropping 6oz ;D.
It is working much smoother now with the magnets, I personally like it. I also gave it a shot casting at the back of my house, only about 80 feet, but the line peeled off nicely.
Good thinking on the plate, I actually thought about installing a top hat. I believe there are some with the easy access drag system on those, am I wrong? It would be nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

This may be way out of the box, but is the copper to soft to apply adequate pressure? I think something harder like steel or aluminium might hold more drag. I really love this reel, I will eventually build one of these.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Brass has good compression strength but SS  does not flex as much.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 28, 2013, 06:45:36 PM
George, I'm able to get a birdnest just by dropping 6oz ;D.

And that is a good thing? ;D ;D

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 28, 2013, 06:45:36 PM

Good thinking on the plate, I actually thought about installing a top hat. I believe there are some with the easy access drag system on those, am I wrong? It would be nice.

Yes, as the following link suggests, I was thinking about how Aaron's father used a 113H drag cover washer on his 49.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2364.msg13395#msg13395
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on April 28, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
This may be way out of the box, but is the copper to soft to apply adequate pressure? I think something harder like steel or aluminium might hold more drag. I really love this reel, I will eventually build one of these.

Ron
I was leaning towards the spacer sleeve also, but not for being soft, I was thinking that the wall was too thin to apply even pressure.
I did manage to figure it out, as I was turning the star, I noticed that it wasn't sitting square with the handle. I removed it andsure enough it did have a nice bend. I see a lot of the star tip bent, but I've never seen one bent close to the threads as this one.
I can't show a picture, my wife has the camera.
Anyway, I'm now getting 16# from replacing the star. I'm happy with it, but I think I can squeeze a little bit more out of this one.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the link George, I forgot all about that. Not a good idea increasing drags on a reel that already has issue with the stock bridge plate and sleeve, but I'm not taking anything away from Aaron's father for doing so. Must be a very smart man, as I said it there, no wonder Aaron is so talented, took after his dad. Good stuff George, thanks for the reminder.
Sal

George4741

Again, not taking anything away from Aaron's father, but I don't think the last ht-100 and keyed washer in his 1+4 drag did much to increase drag, as we know a 1+3, 1+5, etc. is the way to go for drags to properly work.  Two keyed washers with an ht-100 between them still act as one drag washer.  Maybe he used them as spacers.  But I DO like the idea of enlarging the hole in the sideplate and adding the 113H "top hat" washer.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

BTW, concerning the drag numbers on your 49; my 349H with a 1+5 drag maxed at only 18lb.  Still good enough for me as I plan to spool it with #40 or #50 mono.  I guess some individual reels do better (or worse :-\) than others.  
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on April 29, 2013, 02:05:22 AM
  But I DO like the idea of enlarging the hole in the sideplate and adding the 113H "top hat" washer.
  George
I hope so, or I would get upset ;D.
I just did mine, but now one of the screw is not lining up :-\. I believe if I enlarge the holes on the yoke a little, I will be ok, I only need a hair.
Here is my cut out on the plate.....to be continued, I'm going to bed.

Keta

Can you braze the holes and redrill them?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Sal, your project is lookin' good.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Back in business!
Just a quick re cap: This isn't about increasing drags,this is about trying to beef up the gear sleeve.
The 49 generates around 15lb, I've experienced from the past that the stock gear sleeve doesn't hold up with those numbers.

bridge on the left is used for the upgrade, you can see for yourself on size differance.
The four bridge screws are now going in nicely, I needed to shave just a hair more on the new plate opening

here I have it set in with all four screws

planty of clearance with the gear now

and here is the finished reel

16lb is all that I'm able to get with the star tightened all the way, I could increase it, but it will do just fine as is.

I'm very happy with my results, the reel works nicely.
enjoy it for what its worth!
Sal

john2244