UPGRADING A PENN 49

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: trond_solem on November 06, 2014, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2014, 06:12:42 PM
Quote from: trond_solem on November 06, 2014, 05:34:27 PM
Just finished the 49 to 349 upgrade.
How on earth it is possible to fit the 349 bridge into the 49 sideplate without altering the screw holes are beyond my imagination.
Just look above, its right there in black and white.
I'm glad you gave it a shot, just don't discourage anyone else about doing this modification, if me and you can do it so can they. This isn't really a big deal, I actually think its a cool modification. There was no need to alter the plate on mine, just set the bridge screws a little at a time and they will fit with no issues.
Sal

I tried that, but I couldn't get more than two screws to enter. Just making the holes wider made me able to get all the screws to enter, but they couldn't be tightened. If I tried that, the bridge was pushed against the edge of the plate and the main gear was locked against the outer edge of the plate.
I think there must be two versions of either the 49 reel or the 349 bridge.

Yes, that could very well be, it doesn't take much. I'm glad you were able to make it work.
You must admit, it is a cool upgrade.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

Yes, it is a realy cool upgrade. In a way it is a franken-reel built of parts from at least two different reels.

I spooled on some mono backing yesterday and it worked sleek and sweet. No gear noise or hickups. When I get the 500 meter spool of 60lb braid, I am going to fill it up with that. I expect to be able to add some 250-300 meters of braid in addition to the backing.

This is going to be a great reel for deep water codfishing this winter.  We regularly fish at depths of 100 to 150 yards for cod during the winter. A fast retrival rate is essential when I don't want to use most of my time pulling the jig or fish up from the bottom.

trond_solem

I have an idea for double-doging the 49, 149 and 349 reels without loosing the anti-reverse disconnect.
I don't know if it's possible since I have to run a disconnect link over to the new dog. The idea is here, but it has to be tried to be sure it can be done. The link may have to be rerouted, but it will always be possible to come up with some solution to the problem.

trond_solem

5+1 drags for the 49 - 349 franken-reel anyone?

5x 0.5mm thick 349 (non-H version) carbontex drags, 3x 0.5mm thick 349 keyed washers and  2x 0.5mm thick 49 eared washers will make it possible to fit the first 4 carbontex, 2 keyed aand 2 eared washers inside the main gear. The last carbontex and keyed washer will be outside the main gear, but that isn't a problem.

So, who can supply me with the thin steel washers? The carbontex washers can be found at Smoothdrags. I may have to enlare the ID of them, but that is an easy task.

trond_solem

For those who wants to take the #49 reel to its limits, Here are drawings of a new and thicker bridge in stainless steel. The bridge post is screwed into the bridge.
This will secure it better against being broken loose from the bridge.

This bridge is about the same thickness as the 349 bridge and stainless instead of brass makes it even stronger.
It is possible to replace the bridge post with a thicker one for the 349 gear sleeve.
If anyone wants to have a go at it, send me a PM and I will give you the DXF file.

trond_solem

Hex insert and washers for the #49 or the #49/349 hybrid reel.
Just fresh from the lasercutters.

I have washers for both the #49, 98-60 gear sleeve and the #349, 98-349 gear sleeve.

trond_solem

Just installed the hex drag system in my #49/#349 hybrid reel. The hex insert fits nicely into the steel main gear.
Because the cutouts for eared washers in the gear, the insert won't go completely to the bottom, but that is ok, since the bottom carbontex working on one side only, no matter if it is hex shapped or round. I made a 0.5mm round carbontex for the bottom. A keyed washer on top of that, and the next hex shaped 1.2mm carbontex is well inside the hex insert.
the last hex carbontex is also well inside the hex insert. The keyed washer on top of that is halfway into the insert. There is no way the hex carbontex washers can get out of the insert.

3 hex drag washers +1 round at the bottom and one under the gear. That is 8 drag surfaces at work.
Wow! Far more drag available than I can handle!

Smooooth and easy to adjust from light to heavy settings.

My scale bottomed out at 29lb. It is possible that there is a pound or two more drag, but it is more than enough for this reel.
Anyway, this is a reel that can be used for coalfish to halibut fishing here in Norway.

I have two inserts with washers for either 349 or 49 size gear sleeve for sale if anyone is interested.
Stainless steel in all parts.
I can cut more of them if the interest is there.

George4741

I think that with the gear sleeve and drag washer upgrades, it might be wise to replace the wimpy Penn reelfoot with an aluminum Newell one.  I've seen several 30-49 reelfeet noticeably bent.  I imagine that many folks looked at the stock 49 and thought "really big reel means really big fish" ::) and overtightened the drag 'till things bent.

I like this thread.  With an aluminum spool (not readily available with a 349H) these 49 upgrades should make it the equal of a 349H.

viurem lliures o morirem

trond_solem

Quote from: George4741 on January 05, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
I think that with the gear sleeve and drag washer upgrades, it might be wise to replace the wimpy Penn reelfoot with an aluminum Newell one.  I've seen several 30-49 reelfeet noticeably bent.  I imagine that many folks looked at the stock 49 and thought "really big reel means really big fish" ::) and overtightened the drag 'till things bent.

I like this thread.  With an aluminum spool (not readily available with a 349H) these 49 upgrades should make it the equal of a 349H.

Or you can use a full aluminium frame.

trond_solem

A half frame for the 49 reel is cheaper to make and will make it a lot stronger.

This can be remodeled to fit the 349 reel. It's just small adjustment in the model.

If you want this made, please help finding a CNC shop that can make them.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

surfcaster

Nice That half frame would be great I'd be down for 2.
Tight Lines,Richie

Crow

I've read through this thread, several times....gathered up bits and pieces, and decided to give it a try ! I'm deviating from Sal's method (probably a mistake !) a bit....using the dog from the 349, instead of the 49, and "up grading" to the 113H stainless gear sleeve. In order to maintain the same "depth of contact" on the gear set....I'm having issues getting the bridge screws to start, and there will have to be some "minor" screw hole enlargement.  I also needed to do a bit of "Dremel work" on the plate, in order to get clearance for the dog / dog pin. Also, in an attempt to use a metal washer, (under the "under gear carbon fiber), "dremeled" the gear "housing" a bit deeper, and also increased the "bore size a bit, trying to gain a bit of "wiggle room" (this was a mistake , on my part, as I "punched through" the plate (along the bottom side)...so, that will need a "band aid" to stop water intrusion . So, I'm "dropping " the under-gear metal washer, and just using the CF.
    When (and IF !) I'm successful in getting the bridge where it needs to be , for both gear mesh, and screw alignment, I'll post again, with a few pix !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cor

This modified reel resembles nothing I remember of the trusty old 49's from my youth!   Wow quite some work!
I see this thread stretches over some years, first time I've seen it.
Cornelis

Crow

I'm not really sure if this *query" should belong here, or, in the "regular" 49 thread....but, I've already "re drug" (installed new HT 100's) a couple of my first 49's....the carbon fibers came from Scott's, and I re used the metal washers from the 49...all of those "metals" are brass...although some LOOK like stainless, because they are nickle plated. And several of the 49's I tore down, had the "ears" either severely deformed...or , in one case, torn clear off. I've noticed, also, a difference in the thickness of the metal washers, from one reel to another. Now, in checking parts lists at Scott.s, and looking at what's available from Smooth Drag...I have a question...does anyone make a "real;" stainless eared washer, that fits the 49 main gear ? Especially a "thicker" washer ? A "real" 49 washer, will fit the I.D of the 49 gear, but will need to be either "bored out" to fit the 113H sleeve (or, "filed out", in the case of the "keyed" washers. For the "keyed washers, " I could use 113H, even though the O.D is slightly smaller(and, I really don't want to do that, as, IMHO, I'd be losing a lot of drag area...much more on the OD of the washer, than that lost on the "inside", by filing out the hole on a 49 washer, and the "eared "washers from that kit won't work, at all (correct ID, but the ears won't engage the slots in the main gear.      Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !