UPGRADING A PENN 49

Started by Alto Mare, January 13, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Crow on October 13, 2017, 05:23:19 PM
    I've read through this thread, several times....gathered up bits and pieces, and decided to give it a try ! I'm deviating from Sal's method (probably a mistake !) a bit....using the dog from the 349, instead of the 49, and "up grading" to the 113H stainless gear sleeve. In order to maintain the same "depth of contact" on the gear set....I'm having issues getting the bridge screws to start, and there will have to be some "minor" screw hole enlargement.  I also needed to do a bit of "Dremel work" on the plate, in order to get clearance for the dog / dog pin. Also, in an attempt to use a metal washer, (under the "under gear carbon fiber), "dremeled" the gear "housing" a bit deeper, and also increased the "bore size a bit, trying to gain a bit of "wiggle room" (this was a mistake , on my part, as I "punched through" the plate (along the bottom side)...so, that will need a "band aid" to stop water intrusion . So, I'm "dropping " the under-gear metal washer, and just using the CF.
    When (and IF !) I'm successful in getting the bridge where it needs to be , for both gear mesh, and screw alignment, I'll post again, with a few pix !
Very good Crow, show some pics as you move along.

Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

My first "iteration" of the upgrade was to remove some material from the inside of the face plate, to allow clearance for the 349 dog, and it's mounting pin. I "dremelled" out the area, and began "test fitting" the 349 bridge.  I used a step drill to enlarge the opening in the faceplate, to clear the larger gear sleeve (I'm using the stainless version), and began "deepening" the area that houses the main gear. My hopes were to be able to use the thin stainless washer and carbontex from the 113H kit, under the gear. Problem was, in order to get enough room, I actually "punched through" the surface of the plate (that area can be seen in the pic). That can be patched , on the outside, so it's not an insurmountable problem. Biggest issue I'm having is in getting all four screws to thread into the bridge....I used a tapered reamer to slightly enlarge the holes (from the "inside") a bit at a time, and "dremelled" the inside of the bore that accepts the main gear (to give me some wiggle room for the gear).  I'm attempting to maintain the same spacing between the "center" of the gear sleeve, and the "center" of the spool shaft....that will ensure the correct "mesh" of the gear teeth, and, in doing so, found that two of the bridge  mounting holes needed to be enlarged quite a bit....more than I really feel comfortable with. With the gear mesh "close" to what I want, the holes in the yoke slotted (to allow the somewhat wider spacing of the screws) I'm only able to get 3 , of the 4 screws started. In order to start all 4 screws, my gear spacing leaves my "comfort range", and the gear stars dragging on the side of the bore.  I'm not done "playing" with this plate, but I'm starting another "concept" (actually, two others) to try....brazing all four mounting holes shut, on a 349 bridge, positioning the gear spacing where I *think* it should be, then re drilling and tapping new holes. That will solve (I hope!) the gear spacing problem, as well as give a bit more "security" to the mounting. It will mean that the "tail" on the dog be bent, slightly, as the position of the mounting pin will have changed, slightly. I have the holes brazed shut, nd I'm ordering the correct taps. The second "option" is replacing the smaller gear sleeve "post" in a 49 bridge, with the larger post (I'm using one from a 113H). Pressing it into place, and brazing from the "outside".
    I removed the posts from both bridge assemblies, enlarged the mounting hole in the 49 bridge, and pressed the larger post into place....and that's when "pilot error" jumped up and "bit me in the butt' ! In pressing the post, I neglected to make...and use...a tool to allow me to press from the raised shoulder, at the base of the post....and pushed from the end....bad move !! the "undercut" area on the post folded over !  More "parts" are coming, for another try !  In using the "stock" 49 bridge plate....gear spacing should be correct, as will the mounting screws....and, the use of a 49 dog would be possible, without any "dremell work" on the inside of the plate, although, I would rather use the 349 dog....and that will mean installing the two pins (the dog "pivot", and the "spring mounting") needed , into the 49 bridge plate. Actually, all three of these "options" are still on the table, as I want to see which turns out to be the "easiest", as well as the "most secure"
   Stay tuned !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

For what it's worth....my wife had a Doctors apt this afternoon....and I took the face plate, bridge, and screws along....also my computer  lap desk , and a screwdriver (I'm sure , from the looks I got in the waiting room, folks thought I was waiting for an opening in the psych ward!). Anyway, with no main gear, all four screws went right in....so, I guess I need to "relieve" the bore some more !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bill B

Good work brother.....keep it coming....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!