Applying Cal's Grease

Started by striper15, January 15, 2013, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Mic on April 15, 2015, 08:52:36 PM
I know this is an old post and I hope yawl don't mind me bringing it back up but I have a question that is well, important to me.

Should I use Cal's to lube the drag washers, assembly and mechanicals of the right or handle side of the reel and use marine grease for the clicker or left side ?

Are there any issues with cross contamination of these two greases if I used Cal's for the drag washers and marine grease for the mechanical drives on the same side ?

Yawl are great!

Thanks for all the help, Mic

Not a big deal at all. Really the Cal's will prevent any regular marine grease getting into  the washers, or, you can use a high temp marine grease like Penn grease and lube everything (including the washers) with it.

I think Alan has said that marine greases as they age can make for a sticky drag but I think this is in the *very old* category. Penn currently recommends their grease for drag washers too (a high temp Lithium based grease with marine additives).

Kinda just like Cal does too as you can also use his grease anywhere in the reel (and Accurate does this).

Mic

Thanks John,
That's what I was looking for. I would guess a pound of Cal's would last me a life time. Using it on the mechanics as well as the drags will keep it simple for me and that's the way I like it.
I didn't note who said that they cut the brush back on an acid brush, but that in it's self if something that is sure going to come in handy. I never thought about that. I just been saving every wore out tooth brush in the house for reel work. Now I got to get me a couple of acid brushes. Great idea~!

I'll be sending you a Pay Pal Miss Dawn for a pound of Cal's come Monday when I get back in.

Thanks again yawl~!