For Sale $64.99 ea: 416 Stainless Steel Heat Treated 4:1 Gear Set for PENN 113H

Started by Black Pearl, January 22, 2013, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

That Sucks Steve!
I hope you figure it out. Alan's gear sets are the best out there right now. I didn't have any problems with my 113h. I used the stainless sleeve and yoke. I didn't even have to sand them and they worked flawlessly. I am sure it is something simple. Hang in There!
Life is Good!

steve chung

thanks again Sal, i'll give that a shot.

Shark, i hope that is the case. everyone seems to love these gears.

more results soon.

Alto Mare

Steve, I forgot to mention that I had the same, but mine was with the 114H. I sanded the SS yoke and everything was fine afterward. I purchased a few of these gears from Black Pearl, my 113h's are working nice and smooth.
If you think about it, it could only be one of two things, the ss yoke or BP pinion.
Do as I mentioned above, If that doesn't work you will need a new set.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steve chung

the BP gears worked fine in the 2nd reel. night and day difference.

after taking some more measurements it ended up that the first reel had a slightly wider spool shaft nub. i popped the ring off the BP pinion gear and filed/sanded the notch from roughly 5.77mm to 5.85mm. Sal, i also took some steel wool to the spool shaft and inner side of the pinion gear. the inner diameter was a hair tighter like you said.

success! freespool under load is no prob now. now its time to get some albacore!!

thanks for the advice Sal. your knowledge and willingness to share is appreciated.

Shark Hunter

Glad you got it figured out Steve! ;)
Sal sure has the knowledge and has helped me out when I was in a Jam more than once.
Good Job! ;D
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

Quote from: steve chung on September 07, 2013, 06:40:12 AM
the BP gears worked fine in the 2nd reel. night and day difference.

after taking some more measurements it ended up that the first reel had a slightly wider spool shaft nub. i popped the ring off the BP pinion gear and filed/sanded the notch from roughly 5.77mm to 5.85mm. Sal, i also took some steel wool to the spool shaft and inner side of the pinion gear. the inner diameter was a hair tighter like you said.

success! freespool under load is no prob now. now its time to get some albacore!!

thanks for the advice Sal. your knowledge and willingness to share is appreciated.
I am glad that you got the problem resolved.

broadway

To the A.T. Crew,
       I just had to let everyone know that these gears are the real deal.  I have done a lot of homework on gears and pinions, and will say these are the smoothest gears that have ever been in my 113h.
I haven't had them in my reel long enough to give you a corrosion resistance update, but I will say they do there job and do it well.  I have the Accurates and Newells in my other 3 (113H) wire lining reels that will be for sale as soon as I remove them in the fall.  Just glad I bought enough for the work horses....  I had faith in you, Alan.  Thanks for not disappointing!
I will keep you guys posted on corrosion resistance sometime next season.
All the best,
Dom
PS- I get no dough from anyone to say what I just said!

Shark Hunter

I totally Agree. I am more of a bigger Penn Senator Guy, but these gears are Crazy good! ;D
Life is Good!

floating doc

That is really exciting! I'm waiting for the 112H set, which is close to production. Any one else would be selling them as is instead of continuing to refine the design, but then they would just be another set of good aftermarket gears.

That's obviously not the standard here.
Central Florida

Clipper

Thanks for the call Black Pearl.  I appreciate your advice and your excellent customer service!
Another day in Paradise!

Squiggy

Has anyone tried this gear set in their ProGear YTS? I'm interested in upgrading that reel with this and the upgraded drag washers.

maxpowers

Quote from: Squiggy on May 12, 2014, 01:47:01 AM
Has anyone tried this gear set in their ProGear YTS? I'm interested in upgrading that reel with this and the upgraded drag washers.

Works great in the Progear.  I have one set each in my 541 and 454.  I recently switched out the 4:1 BP's gear for a 3:25 steel gear in the 454  to get more torque but the 4:1 gear is beefier.

Squiggy

Quote from: maxpowers on May 12, 2014, 06:01:41 AM
Quote from: Squiggy on May 12, 2014, 01:47:01 AM

Works great in the Progear.  I have one set each in my 541 and 454.  I recently switched out the 4:1 BP's gear for a 3:25 steel gear in the 454  to get more torque but the 4:1 gear is beefier.

Thanks for the info!

Black Pearl

This 113H gear set is restock.

We have changed the SS material from 316 SS to 416 SS heat treated material.

You can get it from Scott's, Smooth Drag, Brian's fishing supply, and my online store.