building a shark rod

Started by Redfish King, January 22, 2013, 12:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

Can anyone describe the ideal rod for shark fishing from the surf.Im hearing everything from 10ft to 5ft ? Roller guides would be ideal but im hearing they like to freeze up. Are they really that much trouble?Im being optimistic and would like this rod to catch anything out there like 600 lbs or bigger? I will be building this rod myself so if anyone could suggest a blank brand that is the best or model number for the blank that would be very helpful.Baits will be deployed by kayak no casting needed.

Alto Mare

With the numbers you're talking about, you might want to go with these ;) ;D

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2493.msg14474#msg14474
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Steve-O

Well, that is a tough one to nail down. Lots of personal preference factors to address.  But if it were me and given you won't need to cast big chunks of bait I would skip anything over 8 feet. Will the rod be one piece of two? That right there would be a big determining factor up front. How do you plan on transporting it? Will you travel by plane to your fishing destinations? If transporting isn't an issue, then go with a one piece blank. Plenty of rod building supply houses out there with good stuff. Mudhole is who I use.

Spiral wrapped quality guides is the way I would go, also and skip the roller guides unless you're dead set on using them...again it's a personal preference. A rod for hauling in 600 plus pound fish is going to be fairly stout with a LOT of backbone. It may make catching smaller ones less of a fun fish fighting challenge and the rod will feel more like a crowbar ...unless you have a generous supply of BIG sharks in your waters. Another factor to consider in your build. Enough rod to get the job done to release your fish with enough energy to swim away and still have some bend in it while playing/fighting the fish to shore. So a good strong, stiff butt section, a fairly stiff mid and tip section for hooksetting, VERY good rod seat and guides components, a great looking guide wrap job to your  personal tastes and quality line and terminal tackle. 

And THEN have someone who is a regular shark fishing rod builder give their best advice and go for it!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Redfish King on January 22, 2013, 12:03:42 PM
Can anyone describe the ideal rod for shark fishing from the surf.Im hearing everything from 10ft to 5ft ? Roller guides would be ideal but im hearing they like to freeze up. Are they really that much trouble?Im being optimistic and would like this rod to catch anything out there like 600 lbs or bigger? I will be building this rod myself so if anyone could suggest a blank brand that is the best or model number for the blank that would be very helpful.Baits will be deployed by kayak no casting needed.

Just for further clarification...baits will be deployed by kayak...does that mean that the baits will be paddled out with the rod still on shore?  Are you fishing from a kayak? beach? pier?

What side line are you considering using?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

i don't build rods but I agree shorter will be better if you aren't casting baits out. I would also put a spiral or acid wrap on the rod. It makes a lot of difference when fighting a large fish and not having to fight rod torque. JMO Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

SoCalAngler

Shorter means more leverage on your side and longer gives more leverage on the fishes side. As far a spiral/acid wrapped rods I'm not sold on them. This concept has come and gone several times since around the late 50's. All I know is the big fish hunters here on the west coast and Mexico have tried spiral wrapped rods and return to conventional wrapped. If a rod is splinded/spined right you should not have a twisting problem. Roller guides do need more upkeep to keep them working well and if your going to spectra back your reel most here go with ringged guides. Some use a roller tip top with rings and I have also seen some use a roller stripper with the roller tip top.

saltydog

This really depends on the reel and where you are fishing and some personal preferances.I fish off the Texas beaches and roller guides are an issue you don't want to deal with,salt from the ocean spray and wind blown sand can gum them up in a hurry.My ideal big shark rod coupled with a 10/0 -16/0 reel would be an unlimited class 10 foot blank with 10 extra heavy ring guides triple wrapped and two coats of epoxy.I know they say shorter is better but the longer rods help keep your line out of the water off the first bar and out of most of the weed that barrels down the beach.Now if you have a truck rack and can get your rods up in the air 5 to 6 feet then you can go with shorter rods of the 5 to 6 foot variety but I would stay away from roller guides just because I have seen them on really windy full of spray days fail miserably and the bearings get all tore up on just one outing.And any of the rods you use off the surf should be pretty stiff because you do need extra setting power especially using 20/0 circle hooks and really big j hooks in whole rays.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Where are you fishing at? Do you like to stand up or sit down? Bridge fishing in florida, 8 to 10ft. Sitting down on the beach, longer rods like that. Stand up on piers or off the beach, rods 7ft and under will treat you best. My two bread and butter sticks are 6ft and 6'6". Got one that im waitin to pick up a 14/0 for, its about 5'6"
Grayson Lanier

Redfish King

Im actually planning 3 rods and maybe a fourth.They will be one piece and I dont plan on flying with them.I will be fishing Texas beaches starting with my home beach Mcfaddin.I have heard comments that McFaddin is not a great place for large shark I have fished it for years for bull reds and havent exactly noticed large numbers of serious sharkers here.Its either true no big shark or not well fished for big shark- Im going to find out.I will be dropping bait off of kayak with pole on beach. A 10 foot pole sounds right for the conditions here seaweed and getting above the first few breakers.Also the right 10 footer could be fast enough on the tip for good play on smaller shark.What do yall think?Also my first thoughts on reels were 9/0 penns older models (i have 3) already have carbontex washers with Cals grease in them.Having never fished monster shark before tell me if the following sounds ok?Using 9/0 penns as much 100 lb Power pro as I can get on one suppose to be 1000 yards - i think not but we will see? Whatever they hold Im going to top off with 50 yards of 80 lb Berkely big game.Im also going to fit these reels with some custom handles.If im dreaming with these 9/0s doing the job let me know because Im on a mission if I need bigger reels let me know.Everyones help here is not only greatly appriciated but will be key to my success.Go big or go home.600 lb shark on the beach by 1/24/15 pics will be posted here.I need some blank brand names and some suggestion on guides im thinking rollers are not going to be used too much of a maint. headache.

saltydog

A 10 footer would be great but on your line you should go with 500 yards of the braid and top off with as much mono as you can, because the bars here in Texas will eat your braid up,you will just be sitting there and then slack line no rig and alot of lost braid.And as for sharks most places they say don't have big ones just don't have anyone fishing there.You put out a dinnerplate sized ray or a 3 to 5 pound mullet and see what happens especially if you are 100 to 200 yards off the beach.
MacArthur

Redfish King

Right on saltydog am going to give McFaddin a good go when I get geared up.500 yards of braid sounds good and will save money.So what brand of mono and test?Do you think the 9/0's will be ok or should I go bigger?Im planning a trip to PINS in late summer.

Bunnlevel Sharker

600yds of 130jb topped of with 80 to 100lb mono........I use Berkley Big game
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

80# Jerry brown for braid and 80# big game for topshot that stuff is tough and has done real well for me.A 9/0 is good and if you don't get to crazy on the drag you can land almost anything.Remember the farther down your spool goes the drag pressure goes up and if you don't practice drag control by backing off to keep the same pressure ,you will be like many with the tale of he almost spooled me but then broke off and I had to reel in all that line for nothin.By the time you put out your drop with a starting drag of a full reel set at 10 pounds remember that drag has also increased with that 300 yard drop to about13 to 14# and if you get a really good shark on that takes a couple hundred yards on his first run and you are half a spool down you are in the 18 to 20# plus range.The further you empty the spool the higher the drag and if you don't back down you can suffer breakoffs (which alot of guys think are caused by the bars)which most are not or you can damage your reel.A standard 9/0 can get 25 to 30# of drag with a ss gear sleeve and a one piece frame but is more realistic around 18 to 20# max without modifacations.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

The 80 jb has a bigger diameter than the 100, and both are alot more expensive than the 130.....
Grayson Lanier

Squirmypug

A 60-80lb rated rod is usually good for shark fishing from the beach/pier. I like rods that are 5'6"-6'6" and 7' would be the max length I would use. A 9/0 will catch some big fish if you set it up right, talk to guys that fish near you and find out what works. Around here you don't need long drops to catch fish but my reel is set up with 600yds of 100lb JB and 60 yds of 100lb BBG. I have never even been close to having my reel spooled by a fish.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!