building a shark rod

Started by Redfish King, January 22, 2013, 12:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: saltydog on January 22, 2013, 08:39:26 PM
........... especially using 20/0 circle hooks and really big j hooks in whole rays.

can anybody tell me whats hook model is recommended on a big J-hook to shark fishing?
or know where I can buy a pre-made rig with a 18/0 or 20/0 J-hook? 

I have a friend that wants to fish with a rig like this one

The Baja Guy

fishhawk

Quote from: Redfish King on January 25, 2013, 03:14:48 AM
Im actually planning 3 rods and maybe a fourth.They will be one piece and I dont plan on flying with them.I will be fishing Texas beaches starting with my home beach Mcfaddin.I have heard comments that McFaddin is not a great place for large shark I have fished it for years for bull reds and havent exactly noticed large numbers of serious sharkers here.Its either true no big shark or not well fished for big shark- Im going to find out.I will be dropping bait off of kayak with pole on beach. A 10 foot pole sounds right for the conditions here seaweed and getting above the first few breakers.Also the right 10 footer could be fast enough on the tip for good play on smaller shark.What do yall think?Also my first thoughts on reels were 9/0 penns older models (i have 3) already have carbontex washers with Cals grease in them.Having never fished monster shark before tell me if the following sounds ok?Using 9/0 penns as much 100 lb Power pro as I can get on one suppose to be 1000 yards - i think not but we will see? Whatever they hold Im going to top off with 50 yards of 80 lb Berkely big game.Im also going to fit these reels with some custom handles.If im dreaming with these 9/0s doing the job let me know because Im on a mission if I need bigger reels let me know.Everyones help here is not only greatly appriciated but will be key to my success.Go big or go home.600 lb shark on the beach by 1/24/15 pics will be posted here.I need some blank brand names and some suggestion on guides im thinking rollers are not going to be used too much of a maint. headache.
as far as big sharks at mcfaddin are concerned....Theyre there....wasn't that many years ago they shut down swimming at sea rim cuz of big sharks and lots of them!

UKChris

Steelfish, I think you'll have a hard time finding any 18/0 or 20/0 J hooks these days. They are much bigger than the same number in circle hooks. Mustad used to make a 20/0 Sea Master 7699 but they dropped both the 20/0 and the 18/0 many years ago. I have a few 18/0 but wouldn't part with them for $50 each. I have never seen the 20/0 in spite of many years searching fo rone for the collection.

Similarly, Mustad used to make Southern & Tuna 7691 hooks up to 18/0 but now even the 16/0 are rare as hen's teeth. So far as I know, only the Sea Demon 7731 is still made in 16/0 size and you may have to hunt far and wide to find anyone stocking them. Generally, not so many people use big hooks today, though I guess Texas may be an exception  ;)

I know circle hooks are the bee's knees when it comes to conservation, but sometimes a big J hook is just what you need.

The Mustad Shark Hook 4484 (I think) is made in large sizes up to 19/0 or 6" gape but doesn't have the same precision-made big-game styling of the foregoing models but looks a but more rough and ready in its design.

There are some very large hooks still made by Mustad for commercial fishing but these generally seem to be old stock you stumble across in out of the way tackle stores.

Tightlines667

Large 18/0 commercial circle hooks are readily available hete in Hawaii.  You can order from Pacific Ocean Producers, VAK, and others.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

Chris, is the Sea Master 7699 20/0 the Mustad with a forged needle eye (as opposed to making the eye by bending the shank into a loop)?  Those were commonly used for pier/jetty/beach shark fishing along the Texas coast some 50 years ago.  There were hundreds, maybe thousands of them around and it's the sort of thing that might be lost, but would never be thrown away. The biggest fish hooks I have ever seen.  Someone at Roy's Bait and Tackle may know where to find one. https://www.roysbaitandtackle.com/
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: UKChris on June 01, 2017, 04:33:02 PM
Steelfish, I think you'll have a hard time finding any 18/0 or 20/0 J hooks these days. They are much bigger than the same number in circle hooks. Mustad used to make a 20/0 Sea Master 7699 but they dropped both the 20/0 and the 18/0 many years ago. I have a few 18/0 but wouldn't part with them for $50 each. I have never seen the 20/0 in spite of many years searching fo rone for the collection.

Similarly, Mustad used to make Southern & Tuna 7691 hooks up to 18/0 but now even the 16/0 are rare as hen's teeth. So far as I know, only the Sea Demon 7731 is still made in 16/0 size and you may have to hunt far and wide to find anyone stocking them. Generally, not so many people use big hooks today, though I guess Texas may be an exception  ;)

I know circle hooks are the bee's knees when it comes to conservation, but sometimes a big J hook is just what you need.

The Mustad Shark Hook 4484 (I think) is made in large sizes up to 19/0 or 6" gape but doesn't have the same precision-made big-game styling of the foregoing models but looks a but more rough and ready in its design.

There are some very large hooks still made by Mustad for commercial fishing but these generally seem to be old stock you stumble across in out of the way tackle stores.

thanks, I think Im covered that my man Daron just sent to me
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21781.msg237024#msg237024

this are actually for a good friend, but its "an old dog" and "you cannot teach new tricks to an old dog", he hates circle hooks so I couldnt convince him to keep using them, he wanted a big strong J-hook for shark fishing, but thanks for your explanation, its good to know all that, now I can pass that info

The Baja Guy