international 50T - written by kamu !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by alantani, December 08, 2009, 11:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Tools of the trade yamaha lube and drag grease a must!!

I lubricate all screws with corrosion x to prevent breakage

NOTE: broken quadrant screw

Remove handle locking plate (key #: 110A)

Remove handle screw using penn reel tool (key #: 23)

Remove bridge cover (key #: 124)

NOTE: salt intrusion

More salt intrusion

Remove right side plate assembly (key #: 1)

NOTE: hardened grease, salt intrusion on inside of right plate assembly

Remove spool assembly (key #: 29L)

Drag washer (key #: 117)

It's hard to see, but more salt on clicker plate (key #: 81)

salt, salt, and MORE salt!

even MORE salt.

Spool bearings (key #: 55), not even worth trying to save

I use WD40 to wash and lubricate all parts except drag washer before reassembling

Main gear assembly

Broken quadrant screw after removal

Remove shields and grease bearings reinstall shields

Repacked bearings before reinstalling shields

Light coat of grease on spool

I used locktite only on these screws because i found a few that have come loose

Grease the drag washer

Finished  drag washer

Left plate assembly key #: 27

Lets install the main gear assembly,be sure to lube stud key # : 134 and coupling plate key #:119

Install main gear first, then shaft

Attach connecting plate(key #: 119 to drive gear (key #: 5)

Both side plates, lightly coated with grease to prevent salt damage

Completed right side plate assmebly

Install pinion shaft in spool NOTE: added 5th belleville washer () () Stock configuration changed to: ((())

Spool sleeve made from alluminum

Install drag washer and cover

Install spool and left side plate assembly

Grease around pinion, just for my own peace of mind i think i have salt a phobia

Light coat of grease on clicker plate

Grease all hole's  to prevent salt intrusion. i brush grease on screw threads by habit
because on reels with frames the tollerance's are tight and no place for the grease to escape.
i noticed screws hard to tighten all the way down, too much grease and force the screws will cause frame cracking in my opinion. i may be wrong but dont want to find out the hard way.

thanks alan for letting me post this on your page. i wanted to show how bad salt can be on those high dollar reels. reels take a beating trolling here in hawaii, but a little service and some prevention will go along way. i think this shows why reels should be serviced before 1st use. i am glad i could rescue these reels and i need to thank you alan for giving me the reel repair bug         aloha  kamu

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Kamu or Alan or -
I'm rebuilding an International 50 and it has the original asbestos drag washer. Should I go with the 117DN-50 Dura Drag or the 6/1-50 HT-100? I'm not expecting to use the reel more than about 6 days a year for tuna, etc., and it will be loaded with 130# spectra. The reel looks great inside with no evidence of salt water intrusion and the drag plates are fine.
Also the spool bearings are good; pulled the seals, cleaned, lubed with reelx and made a sleeve. Will probably get new main bearings.

Kamu, thanks for doing the tutorial! 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Rob, change the drags.  I believe that the dura-drags are greased and the ht-100s are dry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

kamu,your one of the reasons this site is so good.every time some one takes the time to post a tutorial all fishermen and ladies around the world benefit.how about it ladies,who will be the first ::)

kamuwela

use the dura and cal's  you know the drill lol. thanks for all the possitive comments everyone. alan deserves the credit, most of you who started here know what i mean.
                                         aloha
                                         kamu

anykine77

Kamu, Alan

Have you ever had to change the pre-program key pin for the.  A friend of mine says it should be changed every so often, but I have never heard that before or seen it mentioned on this site.

Thanks

Ron

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: kamuwela on January 27, 2011, 09:06:59 AM
use the dura and cal's  you know the drill lol. ......
                                         aloha
                                         kamu
Aloha kamu. That's what I needed to know. ;)

Mahalo,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

anykine is this ron? anways if you are talking about the cam follower locating pins, then yes. i have seen a few lately showing its age. salt water enters through the right side plate just under the handle,and into the right side plate. check the main shaft bearings, right plate bearing, cam housing,cam follower and locating pins.

anykine77

Thanks Kamu,

The reel looked pretty good, very little salt.  I just didn't think those pins actually wore out.  I never had to change on my reels, but he wanted to change on his penn 80s.

Ron

kamuwela

they dont actually wear out. they get corroded then hang up in the grooves of the cam housing.when adjusting the drag youll notice it doesnt return to free spool easily. most wont even notice,  untill  backing off the preset. i have seen a few st's that had to replace the cam housing and follower due to salt intrusion. like everything else its all about maintance. see you in the harbor, good luck.

Alto Mare

Kamuwela,thanks for what you contribute to this site. I'm still green and catching up on previus posts.You guys make it so easy to take a chance on working on  reels.  Although some repair men post here, I wonder if most repair shops like this or hate it. Keep up your great work. I would like the opportunity to meet you someday when I am back in Hawaii re-visiting our honey moon spot, as we do every so often. Take care, Sal
Alan, thanks for this great site, love it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i think this is the best possible thing that could happen for a repair shop.  guys will look at this and say "hey, i can do this myself" and buy parts.  other guys will look at this and say "no way!" and bring it in.  and others will still wait until their reels are too far gone, no matter what.  raise the awareness and you will bring in more business. 

Alto Mare

Alan, not to bring politics into the picture, have you ever considered running for President? I think there is a nice desk there that you could still work on  reels on the side.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Alto Mare