113h 4:1 Gears from Ebay- I see a problem

Started by Joel.B, February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I was just sent this reel today, from a guy in Florida- the cranking was rough, loud and stuttery- so much I only turned it a few times before opening it up. Looks to have those fancy new affordable stainless 4;1 gears that are being sold on Ebay. The slot in the pinion for the yoke- tolerance is too tight, I can barely slide the end of the pinion into the slot- my other pinions work fine with his yoke, my other pinions no want to fit into his pinion's slot........

not sure how to proceed, I think he should get seller to send him a new pinion or set. i can use a fine stone and relieve it ever so slightly but i'd rather he got what he paid for before paying me to make them right

I guess these gears are made in Taiwan by an "injector manufacturer"

Cone

I hate to hear it. I put a set in a 113h wide and other than being a little noisy they seem fine. I hope the seller makes it right. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Joel.B

I see what problem is- the smaller teeth closest to the collar each have a burr on the leading edge from when they were cut. Its like each one had  razor thin edge that folded over.......bad batch I guess.

Alto Mare

I popped mine in here:

Idid not have that issue, I was actually impressed with the way they were machined, but do not have a bunch to compare  :-\, I only purchased one set.
The reel is working nicely though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

SS on SS gears tend to be noisy and feel "grity".

Quote from: Joel.B on February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM
The slot in the pinion for the yoke- tolerance is too tight, I can barely slide the end of the pinion into the slot-

I'd rather have it tight and then hand fit it with a file.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Joel.B

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2013, 01:40:01 AM
SS on SS gears tend to be noisy and feel "grity".

Quote from: Joel.B on February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM
The slot in the pinion for the yoke- tolerance is too tight, I can barely slide the end of the pinion into the slot-

I'd rather have it tight and then hand fit it with a file.

As would I but this is not just "tight" the burrs are cutting into the yoke and you cant even turn the pinion with your fingers when on the yoke.   Wife is getting me the "macro" lens and I will try to snap a pic of the issue in a moment

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

QuoteI'd rather have it tight and then hand fit it with a file.

I'd prefer to have it perfect to begin with.  :D
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Joel.B

OK now I can also clearly see that the pinion teeth are plated in some kind of foil and the plating is coming off

has anybody actually fished these gears and then cleaned and inspected them afterword?  

I think the main gear is fine but don't think these pinions will hold up to much use at all.   The material is very light and soft, and whatever they are plated in has not even held up to being installed and tested.........

Joel.B

Alto Mare

I copied the picture so I could zoom it, I didn't see anything. You can only zoom a little,  it gets out of focus quickly. Can you take a shot so we can see what you're talking about?
I measured and weighted the gears before installing them, if I remember correctly, the pinion was a little heavier that the accurate pinion, the main gear was exactly the same. I have pictures and notes somewhere, but can't find them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I've got old eyes so I couldn't see anything either. I haven't fished mine yet. I guess the real test will be afterward when I open it up. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Joel.B

I took pics but can't get close enough to capture the burrs. I actually determined that it is the "plating" that is folding over the top of the tooth

if you look at 2nd and 3rd pic in the listing, use the ebay mouse-over zoom feature and look at the very tip of the bottom short teeth of pinion, they are almost as burred as these. If you look at same spot on Penn/Newell/Accurate gears it is a clean cut

Joel.B

when I zoom these in my picasa file I can  see the problems..

Black Pearl

I believe that the problem with this gear set is the SS material. The seller should never use 304 graded SS. It is just too soft SS for fishing reel.