Penn date codes on plates?

Started by JoseCuervo, August 25, 2018, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

Hi Guys-

I mentioned this in my introductory post and wanted to get some more feedback;

I was tinkering with a Jigmaster and noticed the tail plate had a date code on it. Have you ever seen this before? I have not seen this anywhere on the net in any pictures or even mentioned, I am hoping someone can post at least one other example.

SH thought they may have started this in the 70's, and another gent mentioned China as I got this reel in a blister pack from Walmart. The front of the plate shows Made in the USA so I don't know when or why this started and if it continues to this day.

Thanks-

Rob

basto

There is one of those marks on a side plate in Alan`s Jigmaster tutorial. I think it might be on the inside of the head plate.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

broadway

Yep, that's a date code.  They put them on for a period of time (not sure about exact years they did it) and I would say your reel is from July of '97.
Sure wish they did this from day one as it would've made collecting these relics a lot easier. but I'm sure it wasn't cost effective or even a thought for that matter.
Have fun tinkering,
Dom

Gfish

Wow. A 20yr. old reel ina blister pack from Wallmart. Some new-old stock. Good find!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Not likely the date code has to do with when the reel was built. The dated plate could have sat in the factory for several years before it was used on a reel.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JoseCuervo

I had to seriously edit this post. Last night didn't happen they way I recalled this morning. Too many beers.. The price I posted for the JM got me thinking that wasn't much of a deal..

Quote from: Gfish on August 28, 2018, 03:35:08 PM
Wow. A 20yr. old reel ina blister pack from Wallmart. Some new-old stock. Good find!

I should have noted I didn't just recently buy it. Last night I found the receipt inside the user manual. It is dated 2002.

I was mistaken on the blister pack, this one was boxed but the reel had been mounted on a pole for years so I didn't realize I still had the original packaging, it was in a tub I keep reels and boxes in. The blister pack / clam shell package was for a 155 Beachmaster I bought at the same time, I have the hang tag for that one. Both are on the same receipt.

There were three prices noted for the JM, originally it was $76.99, marked down to $50, and the receipt indicates I paid $40 for it.
The 155 was $36.99.

Rob

Here is the receipt and pic....  :-\

The Jigmaster was in the clam shell package, but not purchased with this receipt. It probably was Walmart though, I've never seen Penns in anything other than boxes anywhere else.

The $76.96 original price, then to $50, and then to $40 was a Senator.  ::)  8)

The $36.99 was a Beachmaster, at least I got that right. I have two modern ones in boxes, I probably got the second one when I got the JM clam shell.

Sorry for the gaff post.  :-[