Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Mike, you'll get it.  Meanwhile, here's a pic of my 150's, ready for fishing.  Thanks to Randy Pauly.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MikeS51

I showed that SOB whose boss  ;D

Rancanfish

That deserves an 'Atta boy' !!

That had to be satisfying, eh?

MikeS51

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 06, 2016, 10:12:36 PM
That deserves an 'Atta boy' !!

That had to be satisfying, eh?

Feel like a million bucks right now. It's the small things in life...

Hoochrip

Mike looked like a real nail biter!!! LOL. We'll fish soon!!!

Rancanfish

Just wanted to point out I contacted FISHGRAIN that I got the NOS side plate from,  and he's sending me another.

Some EBayer's are real pro's and FISHGRAIN is a prime example. 

So my second 150 is going to be 100%  150!  Yay.

Alto Mare

Randy, those red Tibs look great!
Over three years ago I had issues with Tiburon, one was exactly what you and Mike have mentioned.
Another issue was with the screw hole not lining up and the third issue was with the anodizing not taking by their recessed name on the frame.
They told me it was wax buildup from cleaning the frames prior to anodizing.

I also told them if they didn't go back to the old design on the rod clamp, I wasn't going to purchase anymore.
Looks like they corrected all of the above, but not the last request :(.

You've mentioned Fishgrain, Jay is a professional salesman, great person to deal with.
I'm surprised he still had some of those, I thought I cleaned him out :-\  ;D

Mike, I'm glad you got that screw out, the slots on those are ridiculously shallow, I don't believe the proper screwdriver would help when they're stuck.
Try these for replacement:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91771A124
They stick out a little, but I have no clearance issues. If you do, just rub the head on a piece of sandpaper, it doesn't take much.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MikeS51

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 07, 2016, 11:35:11 AM
Randy, those red Tibs look great!
Over three years ago I had issues with Tiburon, one was exactly what you and Mike have mentioned.
Another issue was with the screw hole not lining up and the third issue was with the anodizing not taking by their recessed name on the frame.
They told me it was wax buildup from cleaning the frames prior to anodizing.

I also told them if they didn't go back to the old design on the rod clamp, I wasn't going to purchase anymore.
Looks like they corrected all of the above, but not the last request :(.

You've mentioned Fishgrain, Jay is a professional salesman, great person to deal with.
I'm surprised he still had some of those, I thought I cleaned him out :-\  ;D

Mike, I'm glad you got that screw out, the slots on those are ridiculously shallow, I don't believe the proper screwdriver would help when they're stuck.
Try these for replacement:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91771A124
They stick out a little, but I have no clearance issues. If you do, just rub the head on a piece of sandpaper, it doesn't take much.

Sal

Thanks for the link Sal!

Funny you mention the tib frame issue with the screw hole not lining up. I had to run and couldn't play with it more but it appears that the take apart screw can't be screwed all the way in. I'll try messing around with it more when I'm home later.

MikeS51

I just ordered a hundred pack of the screws Sal suggested. I'll never use even half of them so I'm happy to share with anyone who needs a set once I get them.

Alto Mare

Quote from: MikeS51 on May 07, 2016, 12:01:15 PM
I just ordered a hundred pack of the screws Sal suggested. I'll never use even half of them so I'm happy to share with anyone who needs a set once I get them.
Mike, I forgot to mention that I use the 1/4" for reels with no Tib. Try changing your order to these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91771A126
Send them a line, they're pretty good about it.

Just in case its too late , I'll buy them from you.
It is a good idea to have both though.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MikeS51

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 07, 2016, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: MikeS51 on May 07, 2016, 12:01:15 PM
Mike, I forgot to mention that I use the 1/4" for reels with no Tib. Try changing your order to these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91771A126
Send them a line, they're pretty good about it.

Just in case its too late , I'll buy them from you.
It is a good idea to have both though.
Sal

Thanks for the correction. Can't hurt to have both!

I think I need to go to church after what I was saying to myself while getting those garbage screws out  :D

Alto Mare

Mike, if they're too many, I will purchase 50 of the 1/4 and 50 of the 3/8 from you, I will even pick up the shipping ;D
Penn tolerance changed a little along the way, having 80+ years old reels, it's understandable.
Just in case yours are giving you a hard time use one of these, or an old bridge to hold the screws for sanding:

Just now I removed 1mm and took about 10 seconds.

Keep an eye out at garage sales or craigslist for one of these:

It has been doing wonders for me, parts don't heat up as fast. I believe this one has a 12:1 ratio
You would use the same process if the screws need to be shortened if used on a stock stand.

As mentioned above, I didn't have to do any sanding on those screws for my reels.

If you had to, a simple file will do the same, just a little extra work.

Sal

Keta

Good idea Sal.  I have some scrap handle arms that would work well for a holder.  Rather than getting pennies for scrap I will give them to anyone that wants them for the shipping cost.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

You're a good man Lee, but everyone already knows it ;D.
I just checked eBay, there is loads of hand crank bench grinder, I didn't realize so many were available.
I really recommend those, will help with many tasks, even shortening dogs. mine has a sharpening stone.
Using a handle arm will take the guess work out of shortening the set screws on the arm, most ss are too long.
The threads will also clean itself as you unscrew it.

Sal

Keta

Mine is a expensive belt grinder but I put lots of hours on it.

Keyed washer reforming tool,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain