Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twopatch

SNAPPERHEAD

Sal, nice work! Did Penn make any Phillips head screws replacements for Squidders and Jigmasters too? Also, I bought an old Squidder with an old stainless gear, it looked and felt like a very low quality stainless at best. Did you notice that in the old squidders? That stock stainless you have pictured looks much better. It was a 1980s Squidder 140 with black sideplates.

SNAPPERHEAD

Alto Mare

Hello Snapperhead, as for the Phillips screws, no I don't believe they did. You will be ok with your gear, just brush a light coat of grease all over it.
If you're looking for those screws, try MCMaster-Carr.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Some penn reels did have Philips heads, but I couldn't tell you which ones.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

I have seen them on some Long Beach and Delmar models.

Doug

Hi Sal   Very nice job and nice little reel. I like the surfmasters myself simpler and just as durable as the squidders. I noticed in your pictures you had 2 dog springs ,did you use both or was one a spare just in case? I have a problem with these flat dog springs , I guess my hands are not as steady as they used to be and these little reels have a very small space to play around in.  Doug

Alto Mare

No Doug, just one. Try keeping  the spring straight and bend it as you set it in, this will give it more tension and stay in place for you.
By the way, I do have one of those 100's with the double dogs, it doesn't need it but I just had to. ;)

Snapperhead, I probably didn't get your question.
If you're talking about the inner right side ring on the Jigmaster and Squidder, then no, I have never seen those Philips screws.
If you're talking about plates,then yes, I have seen Philips screws. I believe some of the made in China reels Have them.
Accurate also had Philips head screws for their Accuframes for the larger Senators.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SNAPPERHEAD

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 10, 2013, 08:17:07 PM
No Doug, just one. Try keeping  the spring straight and bend it as you set it in, this will give it more tension and stay in place for you.
By the way, I do have one of those 100's with the double dogs, it doesn't need it but I just had to. ;)

Snapperhead, I probably didn't get your question.
If you're talking about the inner right side ring on the Jigmaster and Squidder, then no, I have never seen those Philips screws.
If you're talking about plates,then yes, I have seen Philips screws. I believe some of the made in China reels Have them.
Accurate also had Philips head screws for their Accuframes for the larger Senators.
Sal

You answered it before. I will look on the website you mentioned. Thank you for the help.

Ben

Doug

Sal Thanks for the response. Just as an aside these reels especially the 100 are great for drifting baits for strippers. I use mine all the time  at night drifting  clams ,worms, sometimes live eels up to the task and alot of fun. I have used it for bluefish ( not a jigging reel too slow) at night dfirting bunker chuncks   again a lot of fun but as you know blue fish can knock the heck out of most tackle. I like a 501 better but if you use the 100 better bring an extra spool full of line you might need it the 100 dosen't hold very much , Would love to see pictures of a doubbled dog 100   Doug

Norcal Pescador

Sal, you never cease to amaze. With all of the neat stuff you did to your 100, I think it might balance out my totally stock one. ;D ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Lee,

How would you rate the 100? I have mine spooled with 20# mono and plan to use it for bottom fishing up to 100 feet. What do you use yours for and what max rated line?

(Your 49L is going out today.)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 11, 2013, 07:11:45 PM
Lee, you're talking too loud ;)

;D

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on April 11, 2013, 06:54:01 PM
Lee,

How would you rate the 100? I have mine spooled with 20# mono and plan to use it for bottom fishing up to 100 feet. What do you use yours for and what max rated line?

I use mine for salmon trolling, makanaw and inshore rockfish.  I have mine filled with Power Pro hollow 40lb and JB hollow 60lb because I have a lot of it but fish it with 30lb topshots.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Great job Sal - I always look forward to your posts.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer