Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

My pics

Alto Mare

Today I decided to mag this nice little reel, I didn't want to mess with metal plates and magnets, so I decided to give this a try:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/302-525MAG.aspx
If you wanted to try it as well, you will need to grind the back flat

rough up the spot to be epoxied in, mix some 5 minute epoxy and set it in place.

rough up the spot to be epoxied in, mix some 5 minute epoxy and set it in place.
The opposite side of the clicker seems to be the perfect spot

I checked the spool and everything else and all is working nicely.
Any questions...just ask!

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Great work, Sal!

That is a very capable reel now -- both in strength, and free spool performance.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.

Tom McKinney, I just noticed your pics, very nice job. Thanks for sharing

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Nice job as always Sal! I never noticed the mag kit on MysticParts before. Thanks,   Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

Looks great, Sal.
What was the impact on casting distance.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I don't know yet Ron, all I can tell you is that I love these reels with magnets. I was never able to cast conventional reels, now I can't put them down, The 970 casts like a dream.
I also have a few 980 and 990.
These should also do great, I gave it a shot in back of my house and I can tell they're going to do just fine.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 18, 2014, 10:07:59 PM
Cracker Job Sal! ;D
Times 2.  It looks like Daron and I speak New Zealand.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Alto Mare

John, I believe its a 24-66, I also like the 24-155. I was buying lots of 24-56, they looked great, but to me they didn't feel right while fishing. I'm slowly getting rid of them, I think I have a couple left.
These counterbalanced are great to use, I requested some from Adam, those are a little larger than the 24-155, but still about 3/8" smaller than the 24-66.
I actually received some today from him ;D.
Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

Three se7ens

thanks to you lot Im now wanting an ice blue tiburon frame...

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 13, 2015, 02:54:40 AM
thanks to you lot Im now wanting an ice blue tiburon frame...

Would a nice used Ice Blue Accurate frame with a Newell 100 spool for $95 plus $6 for shipping by Priority Mail work for you?