Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

That's a black beauty.   I've been into Squidders but haven't tried a Surfmaster yet.  Do you use it in the surf?  Delrin eccentric lever, interesting.   Been thinking about some use for 3D printing reel parts...

Jenx

Quote from: Decker on May 18, 2017, 09:08:00 PM
That's a black beauty.   I've been into Squidders but haven't tried a Surfmaster yet.  Do you use it in the surf?  Delrin eccentric lever, interesting.   Been thinking about some use for 3D printing reel parts...

Thanks. I don't surf fish, or at least I haven't tried yet. I plan on using it for kayaking. I haven't tried a squidder yet, but I hear so much good things about its casting abilities that I might look into getting a 146 as another project down the road. But for now I want to start on a 501 to pair with my 100.

fishhawk

Hey Decker, you'll like the surfmaster 100 swell!  To me they respond to magging better. I use mine in the surf specifically.Won't out cast my squidders but come close! I have 1 surfmaster that I can nearly spool it with 3oz. n 10' rod. But that's w/ 30 lb test so not sure of yardage.
Mark

mhc

Nice work Jenx, that's turned out well with all the bits and pieces available from this 'village'.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

Here's a couple of 100s I've put together, one with a Newell Al spool, graphite stand and spacer bars and the other with Black Pearl spacer bars and a Penn spool and stand.

Both are double dogged, the reel with the Penn spool has one piece post/dogs left over from a squidder build;

And the reel with the Newell spool has 'normal' dogs on a post;

Mike

mo65

Cool reels Mike! The Surfy 100 is such a nice, light little reel. And fishhawk is right...they do respond well to magging.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

kmstorm64

Quote from: mhc on June 11, 2017, 06:57:14 AM
Here's a couple of 100s I've put together, one with a Newell Al spool, graphite stand and spacer bars and the other with Black Pearl spacer bars and a Penn spool and stand.

Both are double dogged, the reel with the Penn spool has one piece post/dogs left over from a squidder build;

And the reel with the Newell spool has 'normal' dogs on a post;

Where did you get the double dog set up?

Mike
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

mo65

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 18, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Where did you get the double dog set up?

I'm pretty sure he made those bridges kmstorm...but a double-dogged #3-200 bridge would be a hot commodity. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Mo is correct kmstorm, I put the dogs on both the bridges - the one piece dog/post one is from the squidder thread you've seen and the more conventional dogs on fixed posts bridge has peened posts with custom dogs.

Mike

kmstorm64

Quote from: Jenx on May 04, 2017, 04:20:11 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this seems like the best place to ask questions about a Surfmaster.

About 5+ years ago I came across an old Surfmaster 100L, covered in green corrosion, and just in an overall sad state. I had never before taken a reel apart, so I did some web searching, which inevitable brought me to these forums, and eventually I was able to restore this great little reel and give her a second chance. I've only used her once, on a 1/2 day trip, as my other newer and "fancier" reels have taken center stage, but lately I have been considering taking the jump into kayak fishing, and this little reel seems like it would be the perfect fit for that.

With that said, I'm looking to upgrade my 100 and I'm wondering if there is anyone still making upgrades for these? I would definitely like to purchase a SS gear sleeve, and possibly other upgrades depending on what, if anything, is available.

I'm pretty sure the surfmasters have the same drag as the squidders (#6-60), and I found this info posted on here: "squidder 140L - 3 stack of #6-60 drags, working drag range to 8#'s, max drag range 12#'s, damage to the brass gear sleeve at 8#'s."

So if 8#'s is where the stock sleeve starts to get damaged, what is the threshold for a SS sleeve?

Cheers!

The 100 is one of my favorite kayaking reels, that and the Shimano TR-100. Both are light and get the job done for everything from Rock fish & Salmon out here.   I had one of the members here a few years ago powder coat all the metal parts to Purple for my GF. She likes the reel, just doesn't get out enough to take advantage of it.  I have Newell bars and seat on mine, bought them when you still could find them.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!