Brass guides for split bamboo boat rods

Started by 58Evinrudebigtwin35, February 09, 2013, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Evinrudebigtwin35

I have been collecting some old split bamboo (usually Montague) boat rods that I would like to restore.  Does anyone out there have some spare guides and old style tip tops they would like to part with.  I have been searching flea markets and antique shops and those things are getting harder to find even on ebay.  Most of the rods I have found are missing most or all of the guides so I would like to be able to complete the three rods I have.  I did one last year and sold it before the finish was dry.  I covered my costs and made someone very happy to have it.

Tony
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

bluefish69

Tony

Are you talking about the Frame of the Guides or the entire Guide. The Guides that I remember from rods of the 30's & 40's had Red Agate Rings that would crack or fall out.

PS: I'm not that old. They were my Dad's.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

58Evinrudebigtwin35

I am refering to the entire guide.  I'd like to find the brass guides with the red agate rings if I can.  Most of the ones I do find are for fly rods.  I have have the heavier split bamboo boat rods.  I have some stainless and chrome plated bronze guides but the brass looks the best. 

Tony

JasonF

I cannot give you an answer to your question, but I would love to see a photo or two of what you got.  Out of the hundreds of rods that I have built exactly one (a 7'9" 5 wt fly rod) was split bamboo.  Ironically the guy I built it for has never fished it.  Stays in his office.   Sacralege I say!  Anyway, I want to also build a SB boat rod for myself and would love inspiration from seeing yours!

bluefish69

I am no way a rod builder but you can try these 2 supply shops

mudhole.com

merricktackle.com     this place if he has what you want will tell you where

to get them because they only sell to comm. accounts
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

day0ne

There are a bunch on ebay right now. Search on "agate guide"
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

58Evinrudebigtwin35

I am watching the ones on ebay now.  There are newer chrome plated agate guides available through tackle mfg's but are really pricey. I'll keep looking at ebay and flea markets.

Thanks for the replies

Tony