Are AKIOS , OMOTO, TF GEAR FORCE 8 . . . SAME REELS, DIFFERENT BADGES ???

Started by ez2cdave, August 11, 2016, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Yes, but... so?
Omoto makes a lot of reels for different brands, and quite likely Akios. I met the owner of Omoto many years ago; he is a very energetically enterprising guy.

The fact that several reels are available with different names and different prices is, well, odd, but not at all unusual. I'm sure it is quite the same as with automobiles, whiskey, shampoo, bicycles or whatever all else. It depends more on the brand and retailer than anything else.

I'm sure you know and understand all this already. Sorry for the anticlimax. But, what... it is what it is.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 11, 2016, 09:31:11 PM

Yes, but... so?

I already knew that AKIOS reels are made by OMOTO . . . However, I didn't know they were just "Sticker Queens" !

The "SO" is that, if they are the SAME reels, then People are getting RIPPED OFF paying $$$ for an "AKIOS", when the SAME reels can be bought for a FRACTION of the inflated AKIOS price.

Robert Janssen

Hmm, yeah, but I don't know if they are the same same. There might be differences in features or materials among brands and models, if they are made to order. Idunno. Dilligent research is your way to go, I guess.
Or better yet, just ask Omoto. They oughta know.

Incidentally, idunno about being "ripped off" when buying another brand. You pay for the brand a lot too. The same can be said for any number of items or consumer goods, as suggested above.

newport

I own an akios 656ctm. I have considered at one point in buying the less expensive omoto branded version, but remember that the gear ratios was faster on the omotos, which I didn't care for. I think another slight difference has also to do with the fact that both the sideplates and body of the akios are made of solid brass, while the omotos are not.

newport

I own a omoto wavecaster, which is pretty much a rebranded jungle series. It works great w/ quality components. However, can't say for their other models, but the chrome starts to peel off the frame like paper after a short while of use. That's really my only complaint.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 12, 2016, 12:50:43 AM
Hmm, yeah, but I don't know if they are the same same. There might be differences in features or materials among brands and models, if they are made to order. Idunno. Dilligent research is your way to go, I guess.
Or better yet, just ask Omoto. They oughta know.

I just sent an E-Mail to Omoto . . . Hopefully, there isn't too much of a "language barrier" !

TEXT :

Omoto makes the AKIOS 757 CTM, OMOTO CHIEF 7000 CTM, and the TF GEAR FORCE 8 75 CTM.

These reels appear to be identical, except for colors and different handles.

Are these reels identical internally and built to the same specifications and quality level ?

Thank You !

END TEXT :

Now, we wait and see what, if anything, is disclosed by Omoto.

Tight Lines !

Fish-aholic

Quote from: newport on August 12, 2016, 01:13:54 AM
I own a omoto wavecaster, which is pretty much a rebranded jungle series. It works great w/ quality components. However, can't say for their other models, but the chrome starts to peel off the frame like paper after a short while of use. That's really my only complaint.

The same issue keeps cropping up with the Akios 757 ctm reels.

I bought this one 2nd hand a couple of years ago and it already had the chrome plating flaking away in numerous areas. I shot a short video to highlight all its blemishes and its functionality so it could be placed into an advert...

I've seen plenty of Abu's in the 7000 size with decades of abuse and I've yet to see any chroming flaking away to that extent. :-\

ez2cdave

Quote from: newport on August 12, 2016, 01:09:08 AM
I own an akios 656ctm. I have considered at one point in buying the less expensive omoto branded version, but remember that the gear ratios was faster on the omotos, which I didn't care for. I think another slight difference has also to do with the fact that both the sideplates and body of the akios are made of solid brass, while the omotos are not.

I did a little research . . . The Gear Ratio is identical, but the sideplates are Brass, rather than Aluminum, as you posted.

ez2cdave

Take a good close look . . .

Tiddlerbasher

I've had one of these for a couple of years: An Akios Shuttle 555CM

Nice little casting reel - machined alloy solid frame - brilliant little caster - more than happy with it :)

ez2cdave

UPDATE :

Omoto has not yet responded to my E-Mail . . .

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

UPDATE :

This is the 1st response from Omoto . . . I supplied them the info they asked for and re-asked them the same questions, as before . . . Now, we wait, again !

QUOTE:

Hi David,

Kindly let me have your background, are you a wholesaler or individual person interested in OMOTO reel ? And where's your country.

Vincent

Thanks and best regards,

Omoto Fishing Tackle Co., Ltd.
No.260 Zhen Fu Road, Taiping Dist., Taichung City 41156, Taiwan
Tel: 886-4-2395-3515
Fax: 886-4-2395-6068
Web site:http://www.omoto.com.tw

END QUOTE:

Tight Lines !

Rancanfish

Vincent,  riiiight.

That's like the guys at the 7-11 by my house.  Asked one guy his name, he says "Mike".  I laughed and introduced myself as Abdul.  They have been calling me Abdul for over a year now and greet me with "Abdul! Salaam alaikum".  Pretty funny actually.

Anyway, at least they answered you.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 17, 2016, 01:02:46 AMAnyway, at least they answered you.

I'd call that more of a "reply", as they have "answered" nothing, yet . . .

To me, it sounded more like a "who are you and why do you want to know" message, but it will be interesting to see if they are forthcoming about the details about their reels.

Tight Lines !