12/0 reel seat

Started by Redfish King, February 12, 2013, 01:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

My buddy just got a 12/0 penn and it does not fit his pole the reel seat is too small.When rod building or simply shopping for rods that will fit really large reels what is the term used for the larger size reel seats?Is it international size or series?

UKChris

I don't think there is a special term used but it comes down to either asking or trying out the reel seat with the reel. Some brands like Aftco do special W models where the hoods have wider slots to accomodate the bigger reel foot on large reels like 12/0 or 80W and larger. Bit of trial and error I'm afraid, especially if there is no name or number of the reel seat.

lawaia

By no stretch of the mind am I any kind of expert, but there seems to be some rhyme or reason to seat sizes if you're talking big game rods/aluminum butts.  Check out the seats at this link.  But really your buddy might've been better off to make sure (by measuring) that his rod's seat was large enough before buying the reel, because unless it's a custom-built rod, no one seems to specify the seat or butt size once the rod is built.

My own experience is that if you intend to use a big game reel like a 12/0 and you have a matching big game rod with a metal seat, then you generally do not have a problem mounting said reel on said rod.  It's (again just in my experience) the graphite reel seats that generally are too small to accommodate a big reel.  About 4" clearance is required for a 12/0, 14/0, 130 reel foot.

For example, my 35-year old 50 lb. class Harnell rods with metal seats will easily mount a 12/0 reel or a 130 class reel for that matter.  My 50-130 lb rated Penn tuna stick has a metal seat that is too short to easily mount a 130 class reel but it will do so if I remove the butt from the rod to allow backing off the lock nuts.  (Note also the "W" denoting wider reel clamps.)  A 50-130 lb UglyStick with a graphite seat has the same length as the Penn metal seat but the butt is not removable so it will not mount a big 14/0 or 130 class reel.  The diameter of the reel seat also matters when mounting a big reel.  See the difference between the UglyStick (bottom), the Tuna Stick (center) and a custom 130 class rod made from a 130 blank and using matching AFTCO 130 class components (top)?

Note that the 4½ inch seat clearance of the top rod easily mounts 130 class reels.

The 3 inch seat clearance on the middle and bottom rods is too little, but the metal butt can be removed to gain sufficient clearance, however the seat diameter is too small so must be built up to snugly mount a big reel.

Get an 80 or 130 lb rated big game rod with a metal seat and you should have no problem mounting the 12/0.

Handcrafters

Try Batson Enterprises in Washington, they have all of the machined reel seat and list all of the measurements.  Great reel seats from fly to off shore humongus sizes...Lynn

Shark Hunter

I ran into this problem on the 14 and 16/0's. You can bend the seat to fit the rod. Just make sure your rod has a metal seat and not plastic. I use 130 lb class or higher rods on the 12/0's and up. If you are serious into fishing like me. I would go custom.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Yes, going custom is a wise decision, I would not bend the reel foot to fit the rod, though. If you have to do that then the rods seat is too small or the rod is unfit to go on that reel. A 12/0 Is a pretty capable reel, put it on a large and powerful rod.

Shark Hunter

A 28 mm aluminum reel seat will fit 14 and 16/0's. Any smaller and you have to do some modifying to the clamp. The rod pictured above with the 16/0 has an Alps 28 mm seat.
Life is Good!