A Penn Albacore Special.

Started by Irish Jigger, February 14, 2013, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Jigger

I picked up a rough and very loose Silver Beach 99 and decided it was time I had an Albacore Special.
I had a Jigmaster 500 RH Side Plate assembly with dual alternating dogs and a Penn 24-56 power handle so all I needed was a solid frame and that would be it.

Decided to stiffen the frame using two "Solid" Bars in place of the original Posts.
Deep drilled and tapped  the (5-40UNC) crew holes to suit the shorter bars.
Cut the bars to length and made up four crescent shaped attachment plates from 2mm s/steel to locate the original Post holes in the frame.

Showing attachment plates  secured in place prior to fitting RH Ring.

Assembled reel showing location of "Solid" Bars  and the attachment plates which are the same thickness as the Stand.

Now to find some Irish Albacore. ;D ;D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

Innovative thinking getting those bars to work and great workmanship.Thanks for sharing Irish.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

Impressive work Tom, you must have some nice tools.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Tom, I must say, I am very impressed every time you post something.  Very innovative and creative.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.  photo of the month!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

The modification looks factory-made. I am impressed with the attention to details.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Irish Jigger

Thank's guys for your kind comments. The beauty about these Penn's is that you can change gear ratios width's etc and still have a great reel with original spares easily sourced.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on February 15, 2013, 04:15:33 PM
better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.  photo of the month!

Love that Chinese Proverb.
Thank's Alan, I am very honoured.