Penn Torque 25N: Service Tutorial and First Look.

Started by johndtuttle, February 21, 2013, 04:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirrorlure7m

What is everyone opinion on the anti reverse system this reel uses ? I was looking into purchasing this reel for live bait for snook fishing near structure and locking down the drag using 100 pound braid.  Do you guys feel the anti reverse system is strong enough not to slip ?

johndtuttle

Quote from: mirrorlure7m on January 07, 2016, 01:55:43 AM
What is everyone opinion on the anti reverse system this reel uses ? I was looking into purchasing this reel for live bait for snook fishing near structure and locking down the drag using 100 pound braid.  Do you guys feel the anti reverse system is strong enough not to slip ?

The anti-reverse on the reel is very strong but all of them can be finicky if they haven't been serviced or used in a long time. When dirt builds up, grease gets old and sticky or corrosion is present on the studs they can fail. The good thing is with 2 dogs you usually have one working and the other slipping when it gets this way to give you a heads up that it is time to service the reel.

To improve the reliability you could easily mod them with some spring wire custom bent, but then you would have to listen to them click. Some love the sound, others love silence.  ;)

sundaytrucka

I agree with John, this reel is completely capable for the task you have up for it.

The overall design will always engage, given up-keep is performed, and will not slip once engaged on the AR ratchet, and the use of dual dogs equal ls out the strain put on the shafts and frame when the AR engages.

The pawl design in question is limited by the function of the metal tabs to grab onto the AR ratchet once there is reverse movement, but overall very reliable, sound design, especially with dual dogs.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

mirrorlure7m

Has anyone tested the drag on this reel ? I would love to know the true max drag number. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: mirrorlure7m on January 07, 2016, 12:53:31 PM
Has anyone tested the drag on this reel ? I would love to know the true max drag number. 

I gave up ever caring what a "max drag" number is because almost no one has a use for it or knows what it means. Particularly when it is used as marketing hype with no connection to reality.

The most useful number for an offshore reel is what is the max smooth drag number (ie what is the number a running fish can pull without damaging the reel or breaking the line). This is very hard to test and you need just the right fish and circumstances. The angler has to have a large measure of skill too and be ready for it.

The number for a reel being fished next to structure might be the "lock down drag" number...which for this reel will pull the rod right out of your hands and donate it to the ship wreck if a big fish hits.

Then there is the "at what drag setting does the handle bind" number...that is addressed in the main post.

I have posted before on this at length. There is no free lunch. Look at the reel as one of the best 22oz 2-speed fishing reels, better than most. It is not as capable as a 34oz fishing reel (Penn 12VSX). But because it is lighter framed it is more fun to use for most things, casts better and is more comfortable at the rail. It will land anything you have business hooking with it. Some fish you have no business using this reel.  ;)

I hope this helps  :D I am not trying to be harsh, just encourage you to not dwell on superficial information/hype. Focus on getting on the water and finding out how to use scale verified drag numbers (most are surprised at how much pressure modest drags settings really produce when it is felt at the end of a rod). This is a fabulous tool to have in your quiver. It can handle anything most of us can or want to handle.

mirrorlure7m

Craigen

I bought a used TRQ 25.  It looks like new but I feel a hard shift into freespool like it's snagging on something before going to freespool.  I know to cock the spool back before going into freespool because of the live spindle feature.  My new TRQ 30 goes in and out of gear smoothly.  My question is, if the previous owner forced the reel into freespool without cocking the spool do I need to replace the jack and/or eccentric in order to get a smoother shifting reel because these parts have been damaged?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Craigen on April 18, 2016, 06:34:01 AM
I bought a used TRQ 25.  It looks like new but I feel a hard shift into freespool like it's snagging on something before going to freespool.  I know to cock the spool back before going into freespool because of the live spindle feature.  My new TRQ 30 goes in and out of gear smoothly.  My question is, if the previous owner forced the reel into freespool without cocking the spool do I need to replace the jack and/or eccentric in order to get a smoother shifting reel because these parts have been damaged?

Thanks for the PM on BD. I'll answer here so that others may benefit...

I have heard of others bending parts in the Fathom when "forcing" the reel into or out of gear when the spool is under load as well as a small redesign of the early Fathom Eccentric Plate to make it slide a little easier...

Which if any of these are in play it is impossible to say without inspecting the reel.

It should be butter smooth going into or out of gear like you likely experience with your other reel. I would take up the issue with the seller first (if you can) then I would get the reel to Penn who will likely replace any needed parts under warranty if the reel is in "as new" condition.

I simply would hate for you to be frustrated trouble shooting this if it is some subtle issue.

best

Craigen

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.  There are some reel gurus here in San Diego but maybe it's best to send it to Penn for a proper diagnosis and parts if needed.  Do you think Penn will service the reel under warranty even though I bought it second hand?  Cheers...

johndtuttle

Quote from: Craigen on April 18, 2016, 05:40:22 PM
Thanks for steering me in the right direction.  There are some reel gurus here in San Diego but maybe it's best to send it to Penn for a proper diagnosis and parts if needed.  Do you think Penn will service the reel under warranty even though I bought it second hand?  Cheers...

Hard to say and I don't want to speak for them....but they tend to really stand behind the Torques and not really questions such things...if any defect is present. That said I would expect any repairs to be very modest.

best

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 07, 2016, 05:49:10 PM
Quote from: mirrorlure7m on January 07, 2016, 12:53:31 PM

I gave up ever caring what a "max drag" number is because almost no one has a use for it or knows what it means. Particularly when it is used as marketing hype with no connection to reality.

I would jump outta the boat holding my rod if always use the MAX drag that many current reels advertise.

few weeks ago when I was on the water, a big fat sea lion took my fish and started running like mad train, I tightened the drag wanted to broke the line or tear the mouth of the fish and get my trolling lure back as happened on previous times, well this time the lure was really attached to the fish, the lines was 80# and the sea lion was angry, I tighten up the drag on my Baja Special and almost lost the rod and reel from my hands, I needed the help from one of my friends to hold the rod while fighting the sea lion from my fish, but no avail on tearing the head off the fish from mouth of the sea lion.. I ended up untightening the drag a bit, let the dog take my line and fish, chew the fish in pieces by itself and later with a strong pull get my lure back.

we have many strong reels nowadays but I pretty sure Im would never be able to crank the handle on those max drag settings.

its good to have all the reels with greased carbontex drags, they're smooth and strong.
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Narrow.

They also make a "25" that is wider and not as tall. They both hold the same.

Mulloway

Looking at my trq30......looks to me like it has a painted black aluminium reel foot. Strange. Every other reel I have (about 20 conventionals, most major makes) right down to my abu 1500c have chromed brass/stainless reel feet. If it is indeed aluminium, I think penn have taken the weight shedding a bit too far....
Anybody know for sure?

bigreddog

Reviving a very old thread about one of my all-time favorite reels.  I own several of them.

Does anyone know if there are thinner drag washers available (smoothdrag does not carry them).  Any other ideas how to get a few more pounds of drag out of them?

To answer an old question above with the 4.8:1 gears installed in the TRQ25/30 size I get 20# of max drag or just a bit more, straight off of the reel. 

Thanks!