Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

As the title says, I'm just trying this out to see if it might work.
I've been wanting to give this a shot, here are a couple of pictures:

I didn't use any fancy tools, just a dremel and a pair of scissors. The carbon fiber washers have been cut into  hexagon shape, very easy to do with scissors.
The washers fit in nice and tight, there is a good chance that these might work.
If they do, I will be trying it on my ss gears, or maybe Black Pearl could get his connection to make us some.
Just playing around with this stuff, enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

hi   sal       very talented, your the best.   not that i would be attempting to try this, i would like if you showed a picture of the cutter you used with your dremel.   thanks    harryk

alantani

i will send you a #6-525 drag washer to look at.  it is very close. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Sal,  I wish you lived next door.  You are a very talented man !!

John

Robert Janssen

Does anyone know the measurements of the 6-525 or similar siblings? Been wondering for a long time.

Diameters inside & out, over ears, ear width... All ways & directions.

Cone

Nice job Sal! I wonder what kind of drag you can get out of it now. I count 7 working  drag surfaces. Max about 35lbs? Bob                           
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

the #6-525 is larger in all respects, but it is still very close. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: harryk3616 on February 23, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
hi   sal       very talented, your the best.   not that i would be attempting to try this, i would like if you showed a picture of the cutter you used with your dremel.   thanks    harryk
Hello harry, here are the bits that I used, they are Titanium Coated solid carbide tip. The bit on the left doesn't have a cutting edge at the base, that allowed me to get really close .

Alan, thanks for the offer, but the 6-525 won't work, it is larger.
The 6-525 is what I used for marking, as you can see here

Robert, the 6-525 is 33.30mm tip to tip on the ears, round part is 28.30. Comparing it to the 6-113H, tip to tip the 113H is 5.30mm smaller, the metal washer is 2mm smaller.

Quote from: Cone on February 24, 2013, 12:18:00 AM
Nice job Sal! I wonder what kind of drag you can get out of it now. I count 7 working  drag surfaces. Max about 35lbs? Bob                           

Thanks Bob and John.
Bob your estimate is just about right, this set up will generate around 30lb of drag.
I'm very excited about this, if the ears on the carbon washers can take that much pressure , I will be doing it to my 6/0 and 9/0.
I don't think we will be needing thinner washers, here I'm using the older thick metal washers and the CF are cut out of a  sheet
of 1 mm in thickness....still got room.
This is neat, I removed one washer and still get the 1+7 stack. Ifthis set up happens to have too much horse power,  one of the CF washers could be replaced with a metal washer.
I'm liking it, the only problem is that it took me 45minutes to do the gear, these are done freehand. Maybe doc could help us out with these :-\. The washers were cut in 5 minutes or so, I could do a much better job if I need to.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, i realize too much drag is a bad thing but you don't have to use it all. It should be a lot smoother though. Good job. I've been wanting to do something similar to my 114h. I just haven't had the nerve to try it on the Penn ss gear in it. >:( Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

paal

That was smart! :)

Whether the 'ears' hold or not would have to be tested I suppose. Tie the line to a car and do some test runs? Please post pictures if you do :)

If they don't hold, I think there will just be a graceful degradation of the drag, as the CF washers start to turn the drag will just return to the original performance. Theoretically, worst case scenario is a 50% reduction of drag if they all go, right?

Paal

Irish Jigger

Very nice work Sal. I'm sure Dawn could provide CF drags that would suit your application. I guess Doc could come up with a nice little milling set up and have a batch of gears ready in no time. ;)
Keep up the good work,there's life in these old reels yet.

Alto Mare

[quote aSal, i reauthor=Cone link=topic=6517.msg55511#msg55511 date=1361676183]
lize too much drag is a bad thing but you don't have to use it all. It should be a lot smoother though. Good job. I've been wanting to do something similar to my 114h. I just haven't had the nerve to try it on the Penn ss gear in it. >:( Bob
[/quote]
Just as a precaution, Bob. If you use the proper line this shouldn't be an issue.
The 4/0 is rated at 16lb, I'm not bringing up a discussion on Baja vs a customized 113H, again ::), I'm using it as an example. The Baja can handle 27lb, and heard of some pushing it to ove 30lb. I've checked  out the Baja, if that reel can handle that much, I don't see any issues with our customized 113H doing the same. The Baja has lots of better features, but some of the guts are beefier on the 113H, to me anyway. Not having a floating spool is also a plus....strength wise.
This needs to be tested, I don't expect any issues but you never know :-\
I believe this is a good start, there are many of these older favorite reels of ours out there, Bob.
I will also be testing this on one of my customized jigmaster, I already did one, but it's not as pretty as the one above, I didn't do any markings, I wasn't concearned about looks, just functionality. I will download a picture and post it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 24, 2013, 11:24:16 AM
Very nice work Sal. I'm sure Dawn could provide CF drags that would suit your application. I guess Doc could come up with a nice little milling set up and have a batch of gears ready in no time. ;)
Thanks Tom.
That would be nice having them involved ;), I know Dawn might do it, she likes me ;D but I'm not so sure about doc :-\

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 24, 2013, 11:42:39 AM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 24, 2013, 11:24:16 AM
Thanks Tom.
That would be nice having them involved ;), but I'm not so sure about doc :-\
You never know Sal,speak nicely to him,he has the know how and the machinery. ;)

Alto Mare

Sorry doc, I just realized you needed more info on the drag.
Here you go:

BTW, did anyone ever experience any issues with the drags with high settings on the Baja?
This one is rediculously thin, only .25mm :-\:

Sal