Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

These drags are new to me. I was reading something interesting about them, this isgood to know.

The Versa-Drag allows anglers to pre-set a targeted drag range by rearranging the keyed metal washers and tabbed friction washers.
they provide a tremendous drag range regardless of  what line-class and drag setting you are fishing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

The versa drags are nice. Myself I would set mine heavy. I don't have to use it all. Thanks Sal for the post. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Sal,
      Wouldn't we always want the heavy drag configuration and just adjust the drag lever/ star?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Hey Dom, yes I would on mine also.
It is a good information though.
The options showing would help balance the reel, in some cases it would save the line or the reel itself.
A good example is in here up above. I was pulling on the 40lb line on a reel that generated over 35lb of drag and the line gave up at around 24lb of pressure, those numbers might change on the water, but I'm sure they would be close.
The other scenario would be that the drags are too strong for your reel. I like that one, I would love to have a fish destroy one of my customized 4/0 ;).
Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I gotcha! I think the line, hook, or something else would give out before the "TANK" ;)

gstours

Hello, I,m a newby to forum stuff, but got hipnotized with the drag washers in the post. and got questions. first why dont the stock penn reels come this way, maybee the newer ones do, but I don,t know? and what kind of drag would you get with the stock penn 5 stack of carbon fibers with the round outside dia.???? and does the stock one spin with a metal disk on each side of it?  seems like its just a sandwich in there adding friction to each side,  and does the eared drag washer add more to the efficiency of each drag plate? kinda seems like it would work better, like most lever drags with multiple plates. example 16II Tiagra is sorta that way.   I would like to hear from people in their ideas.....but makes hot rodding what it is. waiting gst.........

wolvie

I may be missing something, but on the drags epoxied to the metal washers, you no longer get 2 sliding faces on each drag washer which I though was the whole point of making "ears" on them and removing the eared metal washers.  Maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake?

On another note - losing the outer area of the drags with the hex insert seems like it could easily offset what you gain.  Due to increase surface area coupled with increased leverage on the outer edge, if you lose 20% or your radius with a smaller metal drag plate, you have lost about 50% or your drag, by my simple calculations (holding mu and force at 1 for simplicity):

So you got 2 faces, but lost half your surface area with the reduced diameter, so you have no net gain.
There are folks on the board who do these things for a living and have much greater expertise than me, however, who may point out my error(s), but if this is true, the drilling of the main gear to match a baja style washer seems the preferable solution.

basto

I assume the Baja`s gear sleeve and bridge is not a drop in to the 113h????? how much modification would that take?????
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on March 22, 2013, 08:39:15 PM
I assume the Baja`s gear sleeve and bridge is not a drop in to the 113h????? how much modification would that take?????

There are some of us that might say why?
the Baja already comes with all the bells and wistles and I don't believe there is any more room for upgrades.. The max drag on the Baja is at 27lb .
Not getting in a debate here, again ::). The Baja is good for what its designed for and so is the 113h.

It might be hard for some to believe it, but I know that I'm able to get more drags out of my 113H and as you can see here, we're no way done with the upgrades.
I forgot to mention that last week  I did a test on rolling weight. I placed (9)  bricks in a wagon (bricks and wagon = 75lb) and reeled it in with the same reel that I tested above. I kept adding bricks gradually,75lb was the most I could go, to get the wagon to roll to me.
I had the scale on the line and it showed 28lb.
The only issue I had was with the stock handle, not easy to turn it with that much pressure. I'm glad I upgraded all of my reels with a nice ss handle.
I'm sure that some of you have wagons, if you think that this test is easy, give it a shot and report back.
washers and gear did just fine, by the way.
Sal

Dominick

Sal:  I got the wagon out, but I had no bricks.  I asked the wife to sit in the wagon while I tested the drags.  I could not budge her.  My question is should my wife go on a diet or should I tighten the drag?  ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

basto

Just imagine if someone made a star drag reel with an extra drag on the left side of the reel. You would have a reel with the simplicity of a star drag without all the problems of pinion bearing failure that levers have and it would rival the drag output of a twin drag lever reel like Accurate or Jigging Master. The asthetics would be interesting! 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 22, 2013, 10:24:09 PM
Sal:  I got the wagon out, but I had no bricks.  I asked the wife to sit in the wagon while I tested the drags.  I could not budge her.  My question is should my wife go on a diet or should I tighten the drag?  ;) Dominick
If you know what's good for you, keep your mouth shot and tighten the drag ;)  ;D.
by the way, the test is done by just turning the handle, not by lifting and working the rod.

bluefish69

Dominick

Do you have a death wish?  I put my foot in my mouth everyday but you beat me.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Cone

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 22, 2013, 10:24:09 PM
Dominick, It didn't happen without pics. I'm running up the bs flag on this one.  ;) You don't look suicidal.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

wallacewt

pesca
tell her to go on a diet    >:(