Drag Grease on Felt Drag Washers?

Started by milkman, February 28, 2013, 10:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkman

Hi Alan & team,
just a question - does anyone use Drag Grease (ie. Calls, Daiwa 555 etc) on Spinning Reel Felt Washers?  Or is there something else that i should be doing to treat these washers before the go back on the spool instead?  Look forward to hearing back!  thanks MM

franky

Hello milkman,

I'm not sure what kind of felt washers you got.  If its the same white felt washers that I usually pull out from the diawa sealine 50sha reels, I would recommend changing to carbontex drag washers from Smooothdrag.

When I pull out the felt drag washers from the diawa sealines, they appear to have mold on them.  Kind of a blochy dark spotted appearence.  :-\  

Anyway, when I switched them out with carbontex and put cals grease on the carbontex washers, there was a nice increase in drag pressure compared to the white moldy felt washers.

You should call Dawn at Smoothdrag to see if she has a set of carbontex to fit your spinning reel.

Good luck.  ;)

Bryan Young

I have switched all of my drag washers to greased carbon fiber, but if you must, I would use Cal's light to grease those felt washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, felt is just going to stick.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

milkman

Much appreciated guys for the feedback, yeah ok - well I may look at holding off greasing these stock standard White felt washers then....and when I upgrade to Carbontex, looking at giving them a coating then! 
thanks

DanteV

Love it here Alan! Most every question I have has already been asked.. and answered!

alantani

see, dante.  this is what happens when you miss staff meetings!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kmstorm64

And if you can't find one that is exact, get one that is close and take a file to it before you grease, and make it fit (wear a dust mask so as not to breathe in the fibers).
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

nelz

As much as I love carbon fiber drags, I have not needed to change out the felt drag on my Daiwa SOL 3000. It still has plenty of power and remains smooth.

Strewth

Have some new white felt washers for a Stella 4000XG that I need to install. Is Cal's still the grease of choice for these? Tried to find some Cabontex, but had trouble finding the right size (Shimano parts RD9908 x 2 , RD16423 x 1)

El Guapo

if its oiled felt washers use a good oil.. if its greased use a teflon or good quality grease

preferably save up & try get it to someone (reel service guy) who can punch out a carbon sheet exact size of felt drag washers and install the carbon
if not locally available and purchase price too high.