Sabre Stroker or Uglystik Tiger Lite???

Started by WCFLA, March 01, 2013, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCFLA

Hello Everyone,

I have a question to ask. I have the opportunity to buy a Sabre Stroker from a gentleman nearby. Should I spend my money on the Sabre, or buy something similar like an Uglystik Tiger Lite? Both rods seem to be in the same class (at least to a noob like me). The Sabre's info reads "Sabre (California) Stroker CA6570C 5 1/2 ft" and is in what looks like great shape. Any experts out there? I mean, what would any of you suggest? I like the idea of having a nice, almost vintage rod, but I hate to think that it is a total waste of cash. Thank you all for your time.

Regards,
WCFLA

conchydong

If you are referring to an early model (pre-Penn) of the Sabre Stroker made by California Tackle, by all means get that one. They were made by Leon Todd before he founded Calstar. Even the later models made by Penn were decent. The Ugly sticks are great rods for the money but are still Chinese made....They can easily be replaced and do not have any real value.

day0ne

I second the Sabre. They are still in  demand on the West Coast.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

WCFLA

Thanks Team,

I really appreciate the sound info and support. I am confident in deciding to buy the Sabre. I will post photos of it as soon as I can.

Regards,
WCFLA

WCFLA

Team,

I bought the Sabre and it is even nicer than I originally thought! I don't think that it was ever used. I will post photos of it soon. It is in my truck right now.

Regards,
WCFLA

WCFLA

Team,

Here are some (Crappy) photos of the Sabre that I bought.

Regards,
Dan

Here it is next to some Penn Power Sticks and an Uglystik, respectively.

Here it is next to some trolling plugs. You can (somewhat) see my kayak in the background

conchydong

Nice rod. You should be able to tug on some good size fish with that.

WCFLA

Conchydong,

Brother, I want to land some lunkers and Run that Dog! with this rod. I will try to post some action photos soon when I take some leave and go to Florida. Do you think A Daiwa Sealine 50H will be a good reel for the rod? I am about to buy one from a guy here in NC.

Regards,
WCFLA

conchydong

I think the sweet spot on that rod is 40-50 lb test and the Daiwa 50H might be a little light for that. I admit that I haven't personally fished that reel so others may chime in with more knowledge on it's capabilities.  A beefed up Senator 4/0, 6/0, or a Baja Special might work out better IMO. If you want to go lever drag, there are a lot of other options depending on cost and brands.

SoCalAngler

I don't think that is a Sabre made by Leon Todd as is does not look like the others I have seen that are. The Sabre's he made say "California Tackle" on their lable. Here is a picture of the one I own that was made by California Tackle Co.

The manufacture name California Tackle Co. can just be made out (more to the bottom of the rod) right below Custom Made.

I have not fished ,felt or even seen the rod you have so no other insight. I hope it works well for you and you catch many fish with it.

Edit: By the way the rod in the pic is rated 20-50 but it is more of a 15-20 lb test rod. Yours looks more beefy than mine.

WCFLA

SoCalAngler,

That is one nice Setup that you posted there. The top photo that I posted shows a crusty tag that I believe spells "Calstar". I do not know much about Sabres, Calstars, Penn Sabres, or whatever other combination they came in. What I would like to do is track down the lineage of this rod and maybe find an expert who can further break it down as to what's what. I think it would be cool if other forum members posted pics/info of their "Sabre Rods" so that it can clear things up. Thank you.

Regards,
WCFLA

conchydong

Maybe Steve Carson, the Penn representative, will chime in. He is a walking history book on fishing tackle, especially the California stuff. Even if your rod was made by Penn it's still a good USA product.

SoCalAngler

WCFLA,

Here is a little info about California Tackle, Sabre and Calstar. It's dated as it says Calstar needs a website but they have had one for many years now.

http://www.onorods.com/calhist.htm

WCFLA

Team,

Not sure if this helps narrow things down.

Regards,
WCFLA

doradoben

The Sabre rod in your photos is the real deal. It's newer than So Cal Angler's Sabre. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for 40 lb test & might try 50 lb on it, depending on what I thought when I put a load on it. Congrats, you bought a nice old rod...