penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurningHeart

Quote from: darcypa on September 12, 2011, 05:18:30 PM

Where do I get the HT-100 Kit and I really like the Handle that is shown in this tutorial - When can I get that as well.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-309SP.aspx

Handles from Alan himself.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Wharfcreek

This was an EXCELLENT tutorial!!   I only wish I'd taken the time to find it yesterday instead of spending about 3 hours to figure it all out myself.   In particular, the part about installing the dog and spring and the rotating of the back plate in order to keep things in place!!   But, I did finally figure that one out too....got my reel back in good working order, and it's spooled up and ready to go on my next trip out.   One thing I also figured out that may be of help to some in the future is that the installation of the line guide shaft can be facilitated by installing the cover first WITHOUT the shaft in place, tightening down the reel completely, then removing the pivots on both sides.   In so doing, the shaft can them be pushed through on the non-drive side, then simply placed into proper position on the drive side....being careful to assure that the flats match up for proper drive rotation.   Then, just install the pivots and you're done!!   Saves time over the rubber-band method.....if you're so incline.   One thing for sure......I'm buying a few of Alan's Handles!!   My reel has a bent handle shaft....and those handles look to be the PERFECT solution!!    Many thanks from a newbie on the site!!    Kindly, Wharfcreek (WC).

Irish Jigger

Agree with you on the final assembly sequence. Keep the handle side plate screws  loose enough to fit the cover and then tighten the side plate screws. Remove the knurled screw and spring from the handle side ONLY and fit the line guide assembly. The rest is straightforward.

Alan J

Two questions about the 209:
1. Are stainless steel geer sleeves available for the left handed reels? and
2. Will the 209 hold enough lead core to troll in 50 ft of water?

Thanks

Alan J

alantani

alan, things are crazy right now.  send me a pm after the new year and i will look for them.  i'm pretty sure i'm out.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fishingfiend

Alan,

First, GREAT detailed step-by-step content. Perfect reading/project for when it's cold and the fishing is poor.

Some of your comments are HILARIOUS. The bits about the dishwasher and the value of the reel. I could buy new reels for what I am spending to rebuild 3 209s but what would I do with my spare time?

Question: The Penn 209 schematics appear to show the tension spring (#8) between the sleeve (#9) and the star drag (#10), so it will be on the "outside" the reel. However, you indicate that the tension spring should be between the sleeve and the drag washer set so it will "inside" the reel. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

akfish

The tension spring should be right on top of the drag stack inside the reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

There could also be one more under the star, right above the spacer. It helps increase the drag gradually, If you have the room.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yup, where ever you can find room.  it just has to provide a little tension when the star is backed off.  under pressure, it's totally flattened and the "springiness" is really not an issue.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tomolalla

How about my 109's.  Can I follow this tutorial to break them down too?  They look pretty similar except for the direct drag feature on the 109's.

coastalobsession

Yes. They are similar. Should not have a problem.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Jimmer

2. Will the 209 hold enough lead core to troll in 50 ft of water?
Alan j - What weight lead core? 17, 27 and 45 all sink at the same rate, just have different dia. nylon braid sheath for strength. I get 50' at 2.0 mph troll with a full 100yd core dragging a spoon, 45 with a flasher/fly and 55 with a j plug. a penn 330 works for 27 lb with some power pro backer, rated by penn at 350yd 25lb, the 209 i think is rated for350yd 20lb, might work with 17lb lead. 180' of 45lb braid copper would put you at 50' might be a better option. the copper line is fairly soft and will work with level winds and doesn't need a roller rod like stainless. I would recommend the new nickel plated copper,it's more easy to use.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alan J

I was thinking of using 17 or 18 lb lead core. Most people I know, including myself, fish stainless steel wire. I have been reading about and talking to some who are getting good result with leadcore. I thought I would give it a try. I don't know anything about fishing braid copper. I'm fishing in saltwater.

cajun

Hi Alan, I hope that I doing this correctly; I love your site, very detailed and informative; I recently "inherited" an older Penn Peer 209 and your tutorial was very helpful in taking it apart.
Questions: It seems that the main gear is made of plastic material, and if this is correct, can it be replaced with a brass gear???
I fish on the Texas coastal bays - red fish, specks, flounders - and was wondering what fishing this reel would be good for and what type of rod it should be mounted on????
I'm not familiar with this reel and any help would be appreciated. Don't want to get rid of it because I've become a reel-aholic.
Thanks for any help

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: cajun on February 16, 2012, 03:28:02 AM
Questions: It seems that the main gear is made of plastic material, and if this is correct, can it be replaced with a brass gear???
....... Don't want to get rid of it because I've become a reel-aholic............
Thanks for any help

As far as being a reel-aholic, you're in good company here. ;D

The main gear (#5) is on the handle side, on the gear sleeve (#98), is part of the bridge assembly. Are you sure it's plastic? It should be bronze. It's shown here on the schematic, not to be confused with #45 or #64 which are the drive gears for the levelwind.
Rob
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/209m.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD