impact wrench

Started by triumphrick, February 08, 2013, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I've used them all my life, fantastic when power isn't available. As far as the original question, yes I have seen one that is powered by pushing with hand power. I used it in the Navy, it comes from an excelite kit. It turned very very tiny screws free without buggering them up or breaking the printed circuit boards they were on. I'm not sure the hand could generate enough power to bust a seized side plate screw loose. They are tough on the palms, red welts and sore for days.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

triumphrick

Well, I took many suggestions on here and decided to get into the power age!

I bought a Craftsman Nextec series articulating head, 12V driver....

Along with a fresh set of impact resistant bit assortment.

Quite a few good reviews online about the product.

Ron Jones

Congradulations, you are well armed, especially with those bits. Just remember that this is an impact driver, not a screw gun. You need to put some weight behind it and make sure the bit is seated nice and tight to keep from buggering up the screw heads.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

BTW I have an electric screwdriver (Milwauke) and when I work on a corroded screw I soak it really well with Kroil then I loosen the clutch on the screwdriver.  The slipping clutch sets up a vibration that loosens the corrosion around the screw.  It works most of the time.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

triumphrick

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 12, 2013, 12:50:56 AM
BTW I have an electric screwdriver (Milwauke) and when I work on a corroded screw I soak it really well with Kroil then I loosen the clutch on the screwdriver.  The slipping clutch sets up a vibration that loosens the corrosion around the screw.  It works most of the time.  Dominick

Yep...I have two Ryobi's I use regularly...and they also have a clutch that I set low.....it's just that I feel like I'm beating the heck out of them...so wanted something better...

Also, I have been using Kroil products since I did my first Triumph restoration back in the 70's....great stuff!!

Thanks! Rick

Dominick

I cut my teeth on a TR-6 mechanic wise.  I bought it new in 1969 and had it delivered to me in Holland.  I drove it all over Europe and shipped it back from Naples.  I crossed the border at Monaco and drove the coast highway from La Spezia.  That car handled like a dream on the winding coast highway.  I kept it until 1995 when I finally tired of getting in and out of it.  It was a great car.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Dominick, do you have some Kroil that you could spare.  I have a few reels with screws that are stucker than stuck.  I, infact broke a screw that I now have to drill out.  This is after cleaning and soaking it in a calcium remover solution...to no avail, then snap.  Oh crud, I hate drilling out screws.

If the screws were hardened, then the use of an impact driver will be no question.  But soft SS or brass screws are used as it helps in keeping things buttoned up.  the problem is that it's soft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

At first when I read this thread, my thoughts were....What reel are you working on and hitting with an impact wrench?

My fears are along with Bryan's experiences.  I torqued a couple of screws with a regular screw driver and Bam! I twisted off the entire head of the screw.   :'(

I soak my stubborn screws with WD-40 with the "blue torch" technology...at least that is what the label says and what ever that means.  :-\  Then I'll go at it slowly with steady pressure.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 12, 2013, 09:21:58 PM
Dominick, do you have some Kroil that you could spare.  I have a few reels with screws that are stucker than stuck.  I, infact broke a screw that I now have to drill out.  This is after cleaning and soaking it in a calcium remover solution...to no avail, then snap.  Oh crud, I hate drilling out screws.

If the screws were hardened, then the use of an impact driver will be no question.  But soft SS or brass screws are used as it helps in keeping things buttoned up.  the problem is that it's soft.
Bryan:  I'll look for a bottle to put some in for you and bring it Friday night.  If I can't find a bottle I'll give you my can (of Kroil that is) ;D.   I got mine from Wayne (El Pescadore).  Dominick

triumphrick

Quote from: Pescachaser on February 12, 2013, 09:12:11 PM
I cut my teeth on a TR-6 mechanic wise.  I bought it new in 1969 and had it delivered to me in Holland.  I drove it all over Europe and shipped it back from Naples.  I crossed the border at Monaco and drove the coast highway from La Spezia.  That car handled like a dream on the winding coast highway.  I kept it until 1995 when I finally tired of getting in and out of it.  It was a great car.  Dominick

If you owned a TR6 and kept it that long...you were an elctrical engineer, r equivalent by te time it was sold!!

Lucas electrics...the Prince of darkness....

I have owed most Triumphs made. Mom was a Brit...a war bride; and I cut my automotive teeth driving and working on MGA's in high school!

I gravitated to Triumphs.....bigger motor!! Have owned most models. Currently have a '59 and a '60 TR3A...

Fun cars....with style that very little can compare to today.... :)

triumphrick

Quote from: franky on February 12, 2013, 11:13:29 PM
At first when I read this thread, my thoughts were....What reel are you working on and hitting with an impact wrench?

My fears are along with Bryan's experiences.  I torqued a couple of screws with a regular screw driver and Bam! I twisted off the entire head of the screw.   :'(

I soak my stubborn screws with WD-40 with the "blue torch" technology...at least that is what the label says and what ever that means.  :-\  Then I'll go at it slowly with steady pressure.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

If my parts washer loaded with a mix of diesel and ATF, an ultrasonic cleaner and finally Kroil wont help loosen a screw then my last means of attack are with an impact driver. And some here have mistaken that term for a pneumatic or electric impact wrench.....that is not what I was suggesting.

An impact driver is a type of tool you hit with a hammer...while at the same time it provides a twisting effect...either CCW or CW....it has a variety of hardened screwdriver bits that fit it..

This new battery powered one I have fits the bill...

The reel in question is an Okuma Titus 50. The screw that rounded off was one of the main gear bearing plate screws.

I also had three end plate screws break on this reel. That didn't present a problem, because once it was opened the studs backed off using vice grips...

franky

Oh yes, I've seen those impact tools.  The ones you hit with the hammer and it twist to loosen stubborn screws.  I guess sometimes the steady pressure that I was referring to on the hand tool is not sufficient.  Sometimes it takes that "sudden jolt" kind of action that does the trick; hence impact tools.

I also remember getting lucky when one of the screw heads twisted off and it left a stub that I was able to grab with a vise and continue to remove the broken screw.  Gosh, what a relief...

LTM

Hey guys,

I dont use the mechanical impact tool for fear of mangling the screw. I'll soak the part in whatever solution. After soaking I'll use the "right size bit" from my Chapman bit set and strike with plastic malet a couple of times to attempt to break the siezed bond. Then I'll attermpt to tighten the fastner some before attempting to back the fastner out. Doesnt work all the time but does work quite often.

Leo

triumphrick

UPDATE!!

OK, I just had to update this thread after starting it a few months back...

The tool I eventually found was a Craftsman Nextec series right angle impact driver...

Here is a pic of a Stella back cover...and you can see the reel as well is caked in salt and corrosion.

It is very important to have the exact sized bit....but once loaded into the driver and using lots of downward pressure......that one screw that had been soaking for two days finally gave up the ghost and released....

I also use this for Penn 950 main gears that are screwed into place, as well as other screws where it is difficult to hold a gear, etc and turn a screw at the same time.

I use it judiciously.....it has to be the right circumstance...but with every use I have been amazed at how easy it backs screws out and wont mangle the heads.

Here is a pic of the latest victim as well as the tool...[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

triumphrick