TUTORIAL: 5500 c3

Started by alantani, December 09, 2008, 11:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yeah. i know.  i'm hoping to start up again this year. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 02, 2015, 04:43:40 AM
Alan!! You need to do tutorials like this again!!

Yeah, what have you been doing with your time Alan?  ;)

Noviceman

Actually was looking for a tutuorial for a 6500 c3 2 speed?    Please advise..thanks

handi2

I just finished the 6500c3 2 speed. I'm trying to buy it from the owner to collect. Its in mint condition. If it does become mine I will post the tutorial.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Noviceman

Hey Keith..that would be great...pictures sure make things easier..Let me know if it works out..

Rancanfish

Keith, is yours the burgundy reel?  I have one somewhere in a box.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

Yes it was dark red but the owner wouldn't sell it to me or the smaller one he brought in. They both were in mint condition. The inner sleeve was sticking on both of them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Keith, PM me an offer if you like, for the 6500-2 speed.  Mint with unopened oil/wrench pak, and booklets.  Box has a small bit of wear from being opened and closed to show it off a few times over the years

I just got it out of the cabinet.  Forgot how pretty they are.

Randy
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

BigTerp

Very informative thread!! I'm about to tear into 3 5500 C3's and a 4600 C3. All bought second hand and have been used for freshwater only up to this point. All are very smooth and in good shape. But I'm planning on taking them to the salt later this summer, so I want to do a proper tear down, clean and re-lube so they are protected from the salt. I'll treat these reels as saltwater reels since they will be used for about a week a year in the salt. I know the original post from Alan is a little dated, but based of this thread and his tutorial of the 6500 C3 I think I have a solid plan. Please let me know what you think.

- Complete tear down and clean (simple green, tooth brush, solvent if needed for bearings)
- Blue Yamaha grease for the main gear/cog wheel and lighted coated on internal metal parts and screws/screw holes
- Reel X/Corrosion X for bearings, worm gear/level wind, handle knobs, etc. Do you guys prefer one over the other? Or maybe even a completely different oil all together?
- New carbon washers lightly coated with Cal's
- Once re-assembled, all external parts wiped down lightly with Corrosion X for protection

Swami805

I have 2 older 5500's that I fished hard for a few years. Had to replace a few things now and then. Neither will go back in gear from free spool when I turn the handle. I had them apart,cleaned and lube but something is worn out. Any ideas? Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

BT, the plan sounds solid.

Sheridan, the ratchet gear under the main gear hits a kick lever. Usually the kick lever is bent out. If you bend it back straight up and it should work again.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Thanks Alan, I'll give it a try.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

reel man

Quote from: alantani on June 09, 2018, 01:14:33 AM

Sheridan, the ratchet gear under the main gear hits a kick lever. Usually the kick lever is bent out. If you bend it back straight up and it should work again.
Would like to chime in here. but thought it might be useful, I've exchanged the stock 5500 C3 cage with one from 5600 model that gives the thumbbar instead the dissengagement lever.

I may have missed it, but it's important to press the spool shaft into the plastic retainer in the cup on the right side plate.

BigTerp

Quote from: alantani on June 09, 2018, 01:14:33 AM

Thanks Alan. Appreciate the detailed thread!!

nelz

How does one remove the cog wheel? Is it a fixed attachment?

Also, how is the Axle Clip oriented, does the cone point out or into the reel? (Part number 20090) I can't tell from the photo in this tutorial.