Newell 332 locks up under load

Started by fishman1, March 19, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishman1

Greetings all, I was given as a gift a brand new Newell 332. On my first outing for Salmon last year out of Monterey it Jammed up on me on a Whopper, I sent it back to the factory at Valley Mfg, where they repaired it in 3 months. My brother and i went out this December down to baja and i hooked up with a nice Yellow Tail nothing real big but certainly a fighter; and the reel locked up on me again,// I Know that this is not common with Newells because my brother has 4 of them and they all work fine for him. I believe mine was just defective out of the box.
My question is where can i send this reel to be repaired ? Valley Mfg told me yesterday that they are currently our of Business and are no longer doing repairs. I am not sure what the problem is but it seems the spool gets cock-eyed under a load and jams as i try to reel in. Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Fishman1

Bryan Young

First of all, I would change the drag washers.  Many of them do not have carbon fiber drags.  You want greased carbon fiber drags.

Second, do you know if your frame is aluminum or graphite?  If graphite, what line test are you fishing with and what is your drag setting?  You may be torquing the reel out of alignment and those graphite frames do flex a little under unballanced load (such as line is closest to the frame when it locks up).

I would have to take a look at it to be sure though.

If no body local can assist you, you can send it in to Alan and one of our guys can take a look at it, replace the drags,...

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bryan it sounds like you have an interesting project coming. I call them fun because they make you think outside the box.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

These projects are fun esp. since we are getting a line winder set up to 1) test the drags and 2) spool on new line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I have converted all of my 332s to tiburon frames with boca bearings and carbontex and have no issues. I have one new P332 in the closet and it will probably sit there for my grandson one day.

I have not experienced any kind of a binding issue and maybe because of the tiburon frames but I never had a problem before the upgrades either.

I have all the parts to rebuild one for you and the labor is free. PM me if interested.

fishman1

Thank you Bryan , I Will box up and send in to Alan Tani for repair ! I hope he can fix the problem!