Question about Penn 24-56 handles

Started by SoCalPaddle, March 21, 2013, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalPaddle

Hi All,

I recently bought one of these handles online and when it showed up I was a little surprised that where I thought an oiler would be on the plastic handle was instead just a small press fit metal insert with a hole in the middle.  There is no spring loaded ball to cover the hole like on a typical oiler.  The seller assures me this is how the new handles are made.

So my question is whether this is correct or not?  If it is correct, do you guys just pack the hole with grease to keep out water and keep the handle lubed?  How tight should the metal insert be?  On the handle I just received, if I turn the handle over and tap it against my finger the metal insert will come right out.  Seems to me like it should be a tighter fit in there.

Lastly, did older 24-56 handles have an oiler on the handle like the standard handles all seemed to have had?

Thanks for the help!

Brian

alantani

i get the same thing.  that's the way they are made now.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Yup,same here,far better I think, no dissimilar metals to corrode and lock up. Oil and plug the hole with grease,works ok for me.
The metal insert should be a good press fit and not easily knocked out. Clean and apply Loctite/Superglue to retain.
I think the originals had the ball and spring. Just checked my three 24-56 handles  and they all have the plain insert fitted.
Another example of Penn's "Value Engineering" eg the 40-60 LS Bearing and other parts no longer have a lubricating port.

mike1010

Another question.  I just got a 24-56 from Scott's, and it is as described here.  Additionally, there is what I consider to be lots of play along the axis of the "spindle" (probably the wrong term).  IOW, the knob moves toward and away from the arm by a surprising amount, enough to be annoying.  Any thoughts on curing the issue?  Thanks.

Mike

Irish Jigger

I just put a digital caliper  gauge across a new one.
Total end float/play 0.25mm (10 thou.)

foakes

Might consider upgrading to a better handle from Alan T, or someone else on the Board.

Too bad & disappointing...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Alan's handles are the bomb! Everyone that touches them, or should I say, anybody I can talk into reeling my line in from 300 yards! ;D
Says "Wow, This handle is Nice!" ;)

Life is Good!

mike1010

I don't have an instrument to accurately measure the end play in the handle, but it exceeds one mm and may be closer to two.  I went the Scott's route on the handle because I already had an order for them, and this handle has been well recommended by board members.  Let's see what Scott's says.  Thanks for the quick feedback.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on October 17, 2014, 08:47:14 PMAny thoughts on curing the issue?  Thanks.

Is the play in the direction of the arrow?

If I understand the problem correctly there is something wrong with the hole in the handle arm, there should be no play.  I have 15 or 20 handle arms in my scrap tub ($$) that have a few thousands of an inch play and I feel are unacceptable.  I personally like a snug fit and have the ones for my personal reels cut undersize so I can hand fit them with a file, but they can be hard to take off at times.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

doradoben

Mike, are you saying that the grip has excessive slop or is the mounting hole too loose where it bolts on to the reel??

mike1010

Sorry to have been unclear.  The knob rotates on a "spindle" that is attached to the arm.  The problem was that the knob moved excessively (1+ mm) along the spindle, meaning nearer and farther to the arm.  It was enough to be noisy and annoying.

Not wanting to get involved in returns and exchanges, I hacked my way around the problem.  There's a sleeve around the spindle, attached to the knob, with a gap between the other end of the sleeve and the arm.  I'm not sure the sleeve is intended to confine the lateral movement of the knob, but the gap matches the movement, so I inserted a shim between the end of the sleeve and the arm.  The "shim" is a piece of 20 lb. mono wrapped around the spindle in the gap, and tied with a surgeon's knot.  It eliminates the problem, lets the knob rotate freely enough, is invisible to the naked eye, and shows no sign of wanting to escape.  If it does let go, I've got plenty of 20 lb. mono until I think of a better solution.  Hey, I said it was a hack.

Mike

foakes

Hi Mike --

That is a clever fix.

Wonder how the right size SS "C" clip would work?

In my book, a loose or sloppy handle knob is unacceptable under any circumstances -- whether the reel is 50 years old -- or especially a brand new handle.  Just gives me a feeling that the reel is not right -- and I lose the feeling of knowing my drive train is working as it should.

If you are ok with the fix -- great!

If you want to upgrade to one of Alan's handle grips -- you won't be sorry -- ever.

If you want a good 24-56 as stock -- let me know and I will send one out -- no charge.  Have different color knobs for you to choose from.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Hi, Fred.  The SS circlip is a really good idea.   I will try to scrounge one up.  Thanks also for the generous offer of another handle, but there's really no need.

Mike

mike1010

Quote from: foakes on October 18, 2014, 08:36:17 PM
If you want a good 24-56 as stock -- let me know and I will send one out -- no charge.  Have different color knobs for you to choose from

Fred, do you have a 24-56 with a red knob you would be willing to part with?  PM me, please.  Thanks.

--Mike