Cheap Chinese braid (Spectra / Dyneema)

Started by Sven Golly, March 26, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven Golly

For those that have been tempted by inexpensive braid from China on eBay you might want to watch this video I made.

Gear by Okuma, Daiwa, Stroker, Shimano and a Chinese knock-off.

seaeagle2

I got some a couple years ago and it had a funny smell to it, like some kind of lubricant, I never could get it to stop smelling I tried soaking it in lemon joy etc.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

saltydog

Well I haven't bought any in a few years but I am still using the same dyneema I bought 3 years ago in 20,50,65,80,and 100 without issues and have not had any breakage issues.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

wallacewt

just the same as japan when they started out.
chinese junk will die a natural death,it just might take 10years

Sven Golly

@Saltydog, where did you get yours? Any particular seller?

40 lb test breaking at 18 - 19 pounds is just flat out bad. My guess is that it would probably break at 15 pounds if the strain was applied for any length of time.
Gear by Okuma, Daiwa, Stroker, Shimano and a Chinese knock-off.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Sven Golly on March 26, 2013, 06:44:33 PM
@Saltydog, where did you get yours? Any particular seller?

40 lb test breaking at 18 - 19 pounds is just flat out bad. My guess is that it would probably break at 15 pounds if the strain was applied for any length of time.

You should have tried out my 40# hollow braid, but it won't be as cheap as that Chinese braid.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5081.0

willybendit

I use chinese braid of 80lbs test and have done for the last 4 years or so bought off the Auction site and ive never had a problem with it and thats dragging up 200lbs plus common skate in 400+ of water

my mate Gary caught the common skate using my rod  and its well over 200lbs

and paying £20 for 1000m  is very good value for money  (  Keenfisher ) on the auction site    Tight lines Alain

jlw1972

I've been using the Dolphin 168 seller/brand for bout 4 years now. It does well and breaks at rated strength.  I never tie knots in though. I always splice my end loop and fish a windon.

I've straightened 12/0 circles with the 80lb.  No complaints from me.

Makule

How does the diameter compare to others or the same of the same test?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

My buddies reeled in this 7' Bull on a 4/0 that had Chinese 80 lb test power pro. I ordered it off ebay. It was 50 bucks for 1500 yards, but it looked just like the real deal. The Power pro stickers looked identical to the ones that sell for a lot more. It didn't say Dyneema or Spectra. It said Power Pro.
Life is Good!

Drisse

I'm gonna buy some multicolour braided line for my next Norway trip. Earlier I have used StrikeWire Extreme 0,36mm/30kg. But I think I will try a 0,32mm this time. The StrikeWire line have been good, but the last trip I lost my faith on it. Maybe it was just an accident, but other people told me it also happened to them. I was just lifting the rod and the line snapped. Brand new line...... Only dropped the lure a couple of times pelagic. The line snapped 5 times for another guy on the fishingcamp. I had new line to spool on, but after the first incident I got mindghosts every time I caught a big fish. Will the line snap.....  ???

Everybody knows that its a jungle with fishinglines. If you search for multicolour braided line you get a bunch of hits. Daiwa, Sufix, PowerPro and StrikeWire. And of course a bunch of china lines. I'm like most of other fishermen. It feels better to fish with "Brands" . But are the china lines so bad ? I've never bought one myself. And I haver never tested any of my brand lines either so they keep the lb/kg:s they promise.

Skatefishing is mentioned in this thread. I've been on skatefishing in Scotland and there was china line on all the reels. We caught fish up to 180lb and its really heavy fishing. I think it was the Spectra Extreme line you can find on Ebay. At first I thougt it was a brand line to that type of fishing and I couldn't tell it was a china line just to feel and look at it.

So now its up to me to se if I dare to buy a china multicolour line ?

jonathan.han

I would look for frays, knot selection, and knot execution before bagging on line. When testing braid, you have to wrap the braid around a dowel a good dozen or more times to get it to break somewhere in between the scale and the pull point. I always tell people about line or knots is that it only need to hold the drag pressure you're running. Most of the braid gets made somewhere and it gets labeled. Where is most of the stuff made?
raw instinct

Mandelstam

Day time shift: Brand line
Night time shift: No Name line

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

jonathan.han

Exactly. Just like Pennzoil 2-stroke marine oil and Walmart Super Tech TC-W3
raw instinct

Drisse

I think it could be like that ? I don't think there are that many factories that make fishinglines. And I hope there isn't a high/low quality button on the machine.