Cheap Chinese braid (Spectra / Dyneema)

Started by Sven Golly, March 26, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Guys,
I already have my preferences for mono (or copolymer) and fluorocarbon - Tried and tested over time. Although I will be sending some samples to Paulus ( link: http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm ) for testing. When it comes to braid I use Paulus's results as a guide to narrow down my search. Some are more comfortable to handle - some are smooth - some are like frayed rope (Chinese 80lb fake PowerPro for example) unfortunately many I can't find, or afford :(, in the UK. I am currently using Berkley Fireline Tracer - smooth and reasonably thin -knots very well (I usually use a double Palomar or no-knot knot). If jigging or lure fishing (in the UK's murky waters) I use a short hollow Kevlar topshot spliced to a ring/swivel, then tied to the lure/jig (tied to a hook assist style). Since using Kevlar hook linksI have stopped using wire completely. It is seriously tough! My hookup and landing rate on English pike has nearly doubled. I think this is down to the Kevlar and circle hooks (I don't use trebles any more for bait fishing). I just wish there was a transparent option.

Do check Paulus's website it might just be an eye opener. He uses purpose designed industrial test equipment. If you prefer to skip the techy stuff and go to the results charts - there are a few surprises there!

Mandelstam

Quote from: Drisse on September 09, 2013, 07:37:01 AM
I think it could be like that ? I don't think there are that many factories that make fishinglines. And I hope there isn't a high/low quality button on the machine.

I guess there could still be cases of bad line. A 100 mile spool could be rejected in a routine quality check for a Brand and still be sold as a copy or a No Name brand instead of being thrown away. Just me speculating here...

And you still have the mislabeling issues. Stated strength and diameter is not always (is it ever?) correct. But you have that problem with Brands as well.. It doesn't mean the line is bad just that it's heavier (most cases) than what it said on the spool.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bunnlevel Sharker

Power pro has a lot of low quality from my experience. For small stuff it's fine, with big fish, where's the suffix and JB?
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I am starting to get away from Braid all together. Its strength and reel capacity are good to have, but fishing from shore, it gets cut too easily.
Life is Good!

saltydog

Well I have seen a lot of issues with the way some people use braid especially in the land based crowd. Trying to use to long a drops, not checking there knots properly and a lot of abrasion issues to deal with structure, here in Texas we still have tons of debris from past hurricanes off of the beaches. And with the tackle I repair a lot of people who still refuse to clean there reels and line properly. As I have said in the past It is not the braid most of the time, you still get bad batches of spectra and jerry brown, but I am more economically minded. Now if you have the money go ahead and buy the super expensive but for those on a budget the off brands can still give you the ability to improve you spool capacity and not break your wallet, another analogy is if the line to fill your reel cost as much or more than your reel you spent too much. As in all things personal preferance is what it comes down to in the end, there are guys who can only afford a $100 reel and those who don't have a budget.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

day0ne

Actually this sounds like the original PowerPro. It had a reputation for unexplained breaks. It seems to be better since shimano bought it
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

CapeFish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 09, 2013, 04:17:21 PM
I am starting to get away from Braid all together. Its strength and reel capacity are good to have, but fishing from shore, it gets cut too easily.

I agree, use the braid as backing and fish a 200m mono topshot + leader, the braid lasts a long time as backing and it is usually the topshot that takes the abuse. What makes this setup great is that you get good line capacity out of your reel and you just replace the topshot every time it gets damaged, much more economical than having to fill an entire reel

pcde123

i have 1000 yards of 80lb chinese braid on my senator 6/0, the diameter is similar, and i have caught sharks on them without a problem, ive had times where hooks straightened out on me

broschro

Bunnlevel Sharker

I use 300lb braid toppers on my big reels for pier pylons, where I fish there's no sandbars really, but I still would run a float off the beach
Grayson Lanier

FishnNauru

I've been using Chinese 80lb braid and had no issues.
I bought the multicolour 10m of each colour on ebay and love it so you know how far back the lures are from the boat. Even my 7 yr old can count 3 or 4 colours :)
I wish I'd have gone hollow to add top shots easier than knots, but I may go hollow next time.
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

bueller

Older thread I know, and my first post. I picked up some of the Spectra Extreme in 50# and 80# and the tests I did were alarming. I will never use it. I used equal lengths, about 20 inches, of the spectra and 30lb Berkley big game mono. I rigged it up with weight, swivel, mono, swivel, spectra in that order. Lifting the weight, both the 50# and 80# broke before the 30# mono and not at the knot. It was a clean break every time. I tried this about five times with each of the spectras and the mono never failed. The amount of weight was 40 pounds. The last test was just the 30# mono, and it lifted the weight off the ground.

I won't be using this cheap Chinese crap.

FishnNauru

FYI my cheap Chinese 80lb braid now breaks about 20-30lb...
So better to put the money into quality line in my opinion.
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Alto Mare

I only use mono here in the NE, but lately was tempted by the braid made in China and was going to give it a shot :-\
Thanks for the information.
Some members have been using it and like it, I wonder if they changed their mind by now.
If I remember correctly, one of the members was Broschro ( Jamie), I know he really gave it a workout, maybe he'll chime in.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I have been using Braid for a few years now. It is more sensitive, you feel all bites. This will drive you crazy in the beginning. You can use 1 size sinker or Buck tail smaller then needed. I fish Party Boats & I like PP Yellow because passengers can see it. I also like a 4-6' top shot of Mono. If I'm going Offshore 200'-400' I use 25' top shot. Albright Knot or Alberto Knot for the splice [I don't Tuna Fish]. I think you will like it with practice.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.