Cheap Chinese braid (Spectra / Dyneema)

Started by Sven Golly, March 26, 2013, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm not trying to rock the boat here, but to the best of my knowledge, Just about all fishing line is made overseas. Braid and Mono. I researched this over and over. Sure, it might say made in the US, but dig deeper and it usually comes from Korea or China.
My favorite mono is Exsum. It is made in Korea. I will never buy a Kia or a Hyundai, but my choices are limited here.
I will always Drive a Chevy, but they don't make Monofilament. ::)
Life is Good!

ijlal

Quote from: trond_solem on February 05, 2015, 12:38:19 PM
I promised some photos of the spools.
Here you are.

I can publish the link to the seller if I am allowed to do so.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I thought I might add my update on this.

I bought this very same line direct from the Chinese seller - 80#, 8-strand. It looked good and I started using it. I have not had any break offs in the two years of so I have been using it but never had a billfish on it so cannot justify the success so far. The issue is it is not breaking at below 35# so I have taken it off my 30s. I also ordered a 1000m spool last year from the same supplier in blue color. This one has seen an 88# sailfish landed and an estimated 200# marlin on for 15 minutes and has stood its furious leaps without any topshot except the mono leader. The newer line is also in a much better shape physically. I am using it for now but taking no chances in future. I am ordering Sufix 832 for all my 30s, 600 yds each and top shot them with 50# mono
I live 'fishing'!

Jim Fujitani

I know this thread is almost 4 years old, and information regarding this braided line was posted on-line elsewhere.  The lines are labeled Spectra or Dyneema, but it isn't the actual material, it is counterfeit. 

The original poster showed a video of Power Pro 40# spectra.  At that time, there was a lot of counterfeit Power Pro distributed and sold on-line, and by small tackle shops.  Power Pro was/is a common target because of name recognition.  It was not actual Power Pro.  The first packages were such badly produced reproductions that coloring and letters/numbers on packages and SKUs  did not even line up.  The counterfeiters improved packaging over time.  The line inside may not have even been spectra.  One test is to put a flame to the end of the line.  The counterfeit "spectra" line easily burns with a flame, on its own (catches "fire") after the flame is removed.  True spectra melts and smolders once the flame is removed.

FatTuna

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the cheap Chinese braids.

I started fishing with store bought brands. The first I tried was PowerPro which I had mixed feeling about at first. Decent price but it's a little stiff. It's a good line for bottom fishing or jigging. I stopping using it for a while but now I've moved back to it. After Powerpro, I then switched over to Fireline which proved to be incredibly strong but much thicker in diameter. It's not good for casting distance but has great abrasion resistance. Fused line in general is very wiry and thicker. The Sufix Fuse is a very similar line. I then tried using PowerPro Super Slick which was an unbelievable line for casting. Really thin, limp, and soft. Downside is that it has the least amount of abrasion resistance of any line I've tried. Not good for fishing around structure. Great for open beaches or casting over open water. A friend of mine fishes all Jerry Brown hollow on his boat. It's the best line that I've used. It's limp and soft. It retains it's color well. Could really be used for anything but I think it's best purpose is as backing due to the fact that it's hollow. I just picked up a large spool of 80lb Saltiga boat braid. Going to be testing that out soon.

Last year I  got a holiday discount price on a big spool of KastKing metered braid and figured I would give it a shot on my bait rods. After using all of these other lines, I was not impressed. It was extremely thick and the color faded after one use. The price made it really attractive but the 50lb I bought looks like it's 80lb or 100lb Powerpro.

We spend all this money on our nice gear, I say, why cheap out on the line? Especially if you are going to be doing some casting.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

spc7669

I use JB hollow as much as possible.

I used Power Pro for a long time, but stopped over the last couple years. The quality has gone away. I bought a spool of 50 you could break with your hands.

I buy from Keta. You won't deal with a better guy.

ijlal

Yes, I'll be buying some JB from Keta soon.

I began using superlines about 10 years ago. The first lines I bought were Fireline Original 20#, and Power Pro and Tuf-Line XP 40#. The Power Pro began to 'decay' sort of and I discarded it years ago when I began losing fish and jigs on it. I still use the fireline and tuf-line with confidence for bottom fishing and trolling - Great lines! I have had 80# Power Pro Depth Hunter that came with my Penn Squall 30LD for 3 years, and I like it, but am not going back to the original Power Pro.
I live 'fishing'!

philaroman

still have some old, original PP in the no-frills packaging (plain, light chart. cardboard boxes; small spools; "moss" more gray than green) & I'm rather fond of it, despite poor color retention -- nice, tight braiding; lasts forever!!!

then, the packaging started getting progressively  bigger, brighter & shinier, while the braiding got loose; coating got heavy/messy (albeit, better color); braid would get "hairy" & weaken much quicker & I lost interest

oc1

I screwed up and left two rigs sitting out in the sun for two weeks during a long period of windy weather.  One had 20# moss green PP and the other had 20# fluorescent green JB.  After two weeks of neglect the JB was weakened where the line was strung through the guides and the top layer of line on the reel.  I could break it without cutting my hands.  It was probably from sun exposure.  The PP did not seem to be affected and even the 20# fluorocarbon leaders seemed OK.  That's when I made sailcloth sleeves to keep the rods/reels in.  I liked the bright color of the JB because you can see it late in the day although it also left a fluorescent green residue on the levelwind guide.  The eight strand JB felt a little limper but slicker than the six strand PP.  I would have stuck with the JB except for the sunlight thing.  It is possible that PP was not affected only because of the darker moss green pigments and more UV resistance.  I'm using some bright yellow PP now and hope it holds up.
-steve

ijlal

Quote from: oc1 on February 24, 2017, 09:03:08 AM
I screwed up and left two rigs sitting out in the sun for two weeks during a long period of windy weather.  One had 20# moss green PP and the other had 20# fluorescent green JB.  After two weeks of neglect the JB was weakened where the line was strung through the guides and the top layer of line on the reel.  I could break it without cutting my hands.  It was probably from sun exposure.  The PP did not seem to be affected and even the 20# fluorocarbon leaders seemed OK.  That's when I made sailcloth sleeves to keep the rods/reels in.  I liked the bright color of the JB because you can see it late in the day although it also left a fluorescent green residue on the levelwind guide.  The eight strand JB felt a little limper but slicker than the six strand PP.  I would have stuck with the JB except for the sunlight thing.  It is possible that PP was not affected only because of the darker moss green pigments and more UV resistance.  I'm using some bright yellow PP now and hope it holds up.
-steve

20# JB solid is 3-strand only... Their 50# is 4-strand, 65# is 6-strand and 80 up is 8-strand. Not sure if you had solid or hollow core on your reel
I live 'fishing'!

Normslanding

I have been using PE/Spactra in 8 weave, and hollow for so long that my supplier and I have become friends. I have a trip to the far east coming up and we will have dinner with him.
As for product I've found that it's a little larger that some. The hollow is very easy to splice, and make wind-on's with. The stuff is great bang for the buck.