New narrow 112H

Started by BMITCH, March 26, 2013, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

What amazes me is... I found this site about two years ago and we had some mods. Now in the past six months it's been non-stop upgrades . ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Alan, I earlier said I was in for a set. I'd rather have the set with the six ears.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Black Pearl on April 02, 2013, 06:28:05 PM

...I can make 50 gear sets (main and pinion) for JigMaster 500/112H per Sal's requested. These 50 sets will have 6 ears as shown in the picture. I might have to get in touch with Dawn (Smooth Drag) on making those CF drag washers available.

Now, i don't want to curb anyone's enthusiasm, but you might want to be careful with that. The fact is, that this is Penn's patented intellectual property. You might want to see how they feel about it first, before you go into production and start making business of it.

slgriffiths

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 03, 2013, 04:39:02 AM
Quote from: Black Pearl on April 02, 2013, 06:28:05 PM

...I can make 50 gear sets (main and pinion) for JigMaster 500/112H per Sal's requested. These 50 sets will have 6 ears as shown in the picture. I might have to get in touch with Dawn (Smooth Drag) on making those CF drag washers available.

Now, i don't want to curb anyone's enthusiasm, but you might want to be careful with that. The fact is, that this is Penn's patented intellectual property. You might want to see how they feel about it first, before you go into production and start making business of it.

Which bit are you referring to?  The ears?  The fact there are six ears?  That other reels have the same thing?
I think I understand where you might be coming from, Doc, but from where I sit, the whole aftermarket thing has done Penn so much good in terms of their reputation and popularity that I can't see how they would really gripe.  After all, almost all of the reels affected by this are actually discontinued by them.
If we are getting picky, and Penn is indeed worried about this kind of thing, then with frame dimensions, frame screw hole numbers, Newell/Accurate gear sets, I guess Accurate, Tiburon, JVariance and Newell need to be worried.
But from what we haven't seen, I don't think this is a problem.
Steve Carson pops up on this web site occasionally - I don't know this gentleman, but would love to hear his take on aftermarket "improvements" that have been a constant part of Penns evolution from quite a while back, and he's commented on things such as Sal's Tank - quite complimentarily, despite the commercial sale of SS dogs, gear sleeves etc.  
While you have a point, and I could certainly be wrong, I think that in context Penn is quite unlikely to be worried about a few aftermarket "improved" gear sets for (mostly) discontinued reels - even if their intellectual property rights are undisputed.  After all, they more than anyone else are interested in looking after their loyal following.
Plenty of time to change our approach if Penn indicates they'd like us to, I think. 
Anybody here would certainly listen if we were spoken to.  We're their biggest fans, after all.

Simon.

slgriffiths

But the bit that really miffs me is that I really really want one of these 112H narrow frames in black...  All my other (12) Special Senators have black frames.  I (stamps foot) don't want to change!!!!

Simon

Robert Janssen

Simon, Penn holds a patent on exactly that: A main gear with six semicircular lobes for the purpose of improved drag. It has nothing to do with Accurate or Newell or frames or other reels which don't have this, or any other zillion aftermarket products.

And yes, as you say, Penn may be absolutely delighted at the idea. I'm sure they'd be happy to hear about it. They might be so delighted they order a thousand sets themselves.

But my point is, that it is in fact their IP. And before one "borrows" someone elses IP, it is always nice to ask first. ESPECIALLY if you intend to make money on it.

Not only in terms of convoluted legal jive, but also just because it happens to be a proper, gentlemanly thing to do.

If someone asks nicely to borrow my car, they're a nice car fan. If they don't ask and do it anyway, they're a car thief.  It is a fine line, that's all.

Steve Carsons is a really nice guy. I met him a few years ago. Very, very knowlegeable. I look forward to seeing him again someday.
As it happens, this bit about the IP isn't really his area; it belongs with some of the others at Pure Fishing. But no doubt at all Steve would enjoy the idea.

Doug

This just a wild idea why not put the regular grooves in the gear as well . looks like there is room one gear for eigther drag system Doug

Alto Mare

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 03, 2013, 12:13:55 PM

Simon, Penn holds a patent on exactly that: A main gear with six semicircular lobes for the purpose of improved drag.

I'm going to have to do some math and have seven ears instead of six, that would make us different ;D
You know, we're using different material, our gears are not magnetic as Penn gears. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Penns gears are also a different size than the 112h and I know the BS gears won't work with the 113H. I am certain that Alan isn't stepping on any toes.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

We can infringe on a patent if we aren't selling the parts and size does not matter with pattent infringement.   We should ask Penn for permission to use their pattent for non profit uses.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

hello out there! ive been watching other people than myself post their crazy ideas, I am interested in hex gear sets for the 112H, as it makes a usuable reel out of it if you can get more than 6-10lbs of drag, ive thought about penn49 drag washers and trim to hex or ? the 49ers are larger dia and a stock item,also who sells sst. gearsleeves for the 113h and how much?

Black Pearl

The Doc and Lee are right. I am working on something that will not infringe PENN patent with 6 semicircle ears.

Does anyone have the PENN's patent number?

Black Pearl

Quote from: gstours on April 03, 2013, 07:58:32 PM
hello out there! ive been watching other people than myself post their crazy ideas, I am interested in hex gear sets for the 112H, as it makes a usuable reel out of it if you can get more than 6-10lbs of drag, ive thought about penn49 drag washers and trim to hex or ? the 49ers are larger dia and a stock item,also who sells sst. gearsleeves for the 113h and how much?

You can check with Alan T. or Keta.

slgriffiths

Quote from: Robert Janssen on April 03, 2013, 12:13:55 PM
But my point is, that it is in fact their IP. And before one "borrows" someone elses IP, it is always nice to ask first. ESPECIALLY if you intend to make money on it.

As you originally said, Doc.
I retract my previous opinion.
I was wrong.
Simon.