My first attempt at cord wrapping a handle

Started by Mandelstam, March 27, 2013, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I decided to try my hands at cord wrapping  a handle. I have some plans for a future custom rod I want to build but couldn't wait so I tried it out on a brand new rod instead. The rod is a Edge Dynamic Powercast 6-8 lbs that I'm going to use for some lighter sea fishing for cod mostly. Feels really nice, light and sensitive. It's going to be paired with a Penn Spinfisher V 3500. Maybe a bit heavy for the rod but I just really wanted to try out that reel.

The cord I used is ordinary paracord in two different colors. A total of four cords is hitched along the handle with a zig-zag ring hitch pattern. At the end of the handle I put a Turk's head over the hitching to protect the ending of the hitch a bit better. The turk's head is made from gutted paracord so it doesn't get so bulky. I've seen many put varnish and epoxy on their wraps but I chose not to do that. I want to be able to remove it later on. And I really don't think that it's necessary. This wrapping isn't going anywhere.

Overall It feels very nice to the touch and to handle. The top pattern is perfect to rest your thumb on. Maybe I should have tied it with gutted paracord, I have to try that next time. And the zig-zag pattern isn't super straight. But this really was just an experiment.

Top view

Bottom view

Turk's head
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

This is very nice. Thanks for sharing. I want to learn cord work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Thank you!

I love the simplicity of ringbolt hitching. It's just a series of half hitches but you can vary it very much and get totally different results. This zig-zag pattern I found in my copy of Ashley's book of knots, but there are many rope works sites on the net that offer a lot of inspiration and many have tutorials as well.

Next thing I will try is to do a braid, either 8 or 12 strand, around the handle like a bullwhip. I've seen many paracord bullwhips on the web recently and I really liked the look. You can make som really interesting patterns and paracord offer some nice color choices as well.

Example of what can be done:

(Source: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68240569/8-foot-black-tan-nylon-bullwhip)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Alto Mare

Very nice, I can't figure out how you guys do that.
Cone made me this nice brass hammer a while back and I was very impressed.

By the way Bob, now you need to make me a custom rod with red,whte and green ;D

Thanks for sharing,  Mandelstam.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

I've always loved working with rope and cord. I practically spent my childhood on my dads sailing boat. I remember one day we had to cross the sound betweeen Denmark and Sweden in full storm because dad was working the next day and we had to get home. I was six years old and scared. My dad gave me a piece of rope and said to me - "Kalle, hold on to this rope! Don't you let it go!" The next five hours I lay down in the cockpit holding on to this little piece of rope my dad gave me. When we finally made port dad had to pry off my fingers from the rope, I couldn't let it go by my self. I guess since then rope has had some form of special meaning to me! :)

Cone

Sal. I thought you would have cut that off the handle. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

hafnor

that is stunning work man! wow! must give one hell of a grip in your hand too!

Bryan Young

I think I need to send the butt porton of my rod to Bob for cordage work. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Mandelstam, I'm sorry I meant to tell you how nice the ringbolt hitching came out. I have done a little cordage work myself. I put some cockscombing on a few items using turks heads on each end that turned out well. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD