Are faster Squidder gears possible?

Started by Joel.B, April 06, 2013, 04:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Quote from: noyb72 on February 07, 2014, 11:28:47 PM
To be honest the speed would be secondary to strength for me. I really don't want a brass gear in any fishing reel. I understand that they are fine for the original design but I don't fish anything the way it was originally designed.

The great thing about this main gear is it is used in so many Penn reels. Just like Black Pearls 6/0 & 9/0 main this gear could be matched to just a few pinions and cover dozens of reels. If it was Hex you could even build it to put enough drag into the large Long Beaches and black Senators.

Ron
A long beach 66 would be a pretty tough reel with a little upgrade

Marcq

I'm still hoping for higher gears for the Squidder, they would sell like hot cakes  8)

Marc..

mikeg24thst

I'm in for 3 sets come on machinist and inventors I know there are quite a few here

garking84

I sure would love to have ss gears in my squidder

Rancanfish

I'm in for three sets of stronger gears, faster is a bonus.

I'm amending my post,  In for two. (Realized I sold my third 146).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

fIsHsTiiCkS

franky

I was just going to ask...Is there a Stainless High Speed set for the squidder?  I know of someone who would be interested in a set.

Black Pearl

Quote from: franky on October 31, 2014, 07:12:21 PM
I was just going to ask...Is there a Stainless High Speed set for the squidder?  I know of someone who would be interested in a set.

I don't have any idea yet because this project has not been starting in R&D department yet. It might be sometime next year.

MarkT

If you want higher speed Squidders just get a Newell. The Newell 220/229/235 are equivalent to the Squidder 146/145/140 with 5:1 gears and Jigmaster drags.  Replacement gear for the Squidders would have weaker gears due to the distance between the main and pinion remaining the same. To get faster gears you'd have smaller/weaker teeth on the gears which may be why they aren't available.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: MarkT on November 12, 2014, 04:14:59 AM
If you want higher speed Squidders just get a Newell. The Newell 220/229/235 are equivalent to the Squidder 146/145/140 with 5:1 gears and Jigmaster drags.  Replacement gear for the Squidders would have weaker gears due to the distance between the main and pinion remaining the same. To get faster gears you'd have smaller/weaker teeth on the gears which may be why they aren't available.

Well saying if you want more get another reel is always been an option but it's not want got us reels like the tank. Wanting gears for these reels Is for the guys that just love their reel and want to upgrade and push for more. Mine would be the Penn 1/0 for example. As for weaker not so due to the much higher quality material the gears would be made of the gears would be stronger actually. I think a 4:1 or 4.5:1 would be perfect for this set.

MarkT

Sure, a 'tank' with paper thin armor is a good idea. How much would new gears cost? How much could you get for your reel? What would it cost for a faster reel of the same capacity? It ain't rocket science. Of course, reels are like tinker toys, the parts can be swapped out/upgraded incrementally. How much sentimentality is associated with your reel? That can override the economics and engineering.

BTW, a 'tank' with paper thin armor was the M-18 Hellcat... As they say, firepower, speed, armor, pick any 2... they passed on armor and it worked out pretty well! However, a Squidder with faster gears would still have dime sized drags so all you'll have is the speed, no armor or firepower! I think they called those jeeps rather than tanks, still, it is a possibility.

My YTS will be maxed out once the stainless twin dog bridge for the 113h is available. It already has stainless 4:1 gears, gear stud and yoke, Tib topless frame and spool, upgraded bearings, drags and handle.  For what I have invested I could buy a new 113HN which would be better but I'll still have the ultimate YTS... I win!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: MarkT on November 12, 2014, 06:08:08 AM
Sure, a 'tank' with paper thin armor is a good idea. How much would new gears cost? How much could you get for your reel? What would it cost for a faster reel of the same capacity? It ain't rocket science. Of course, reels are like tinker toys, the parts can be swapped out/upgraded incrementally. How much sentimentality is associated with your reel? That can override the economics and engineering.

BTW, a 'tank' with paper thin armor was the M-18 Hellcat... As they say, firepower, speed, armor, pick any 2... they passed on armor and it worked out pretty well! However, a Squidder with faster gears would still have dime sized drags so all you'll have is the speed, no armor or firepower! I think they called those jeeps rather than tanks, still, it is a possibility.

My YTS will be maxed out once the stainless twin dog bridge for the 113h is available. It already has stainless 4:1 gears, gear stud and yoke, Tib topless frame and spool, upgraded bearings, drags and handle.  For what I have invested I could buy a new 113HN which would be better but I'll still have the ultimate YTS... I win!

I like how you made a case against it then for it. The gears are solid upgrade and will give more power and speed to those reels. For what the squidder is used for and how it is fished the gear set will only improve and more importantly bring confidence while fishing. Also, Bryans drag upgrades help this reel bench out at 15lbs of drag. Which at present is to much for the current gears set to handle.

As I said a different reel is always out there but the satisfaction of upgrading a reel then catching a solid beast on it brings a certain satisfaction (at least for me) that really makes it all worth it. As you must know with your YTS.

Really what this debate is just a difference of opinion.  But I respect and understand where you are coming from.

MarkT

Yep, sometimes you just gotta what you gotta do. Just throw practicality out the window and do it. Trouble is, a Squidder is such a weak platform to build on. If it's fine as is but you just want more speed then it might be doable. A tank it will never be. If that's what you want just get a ProGear 255/251 and call it good. Of course even with one of those you can go with some stainless inerds, Bryan's drags, better bearings, etc. It never ends. I'm looking to do that to my PG 545 as well as my YTS. My 255 never goes out on date night anymore, it just sits in the reel bag in the closet. I have too much stuff... It's called being a tackle 'ho.

Marcq

Quote from: MarkT on November 12, 2014, 04:14:59 AM
If you want higher speed Squidders just get a Newell. The Newell 220/229/235 are equivalent to the Squidder 146/145/140 with 5:1 gears and Jigmaster drags.  Replacement gear for the Squidders would have weaker gears due to the distance between the main and pinion remaining the same. To get faster gears you'd have smaller/weaker teeth on the gears which may be why they aren't available.

That's because we want a higher gear Squidder, if we wanted a hight speed Newell, we would ask for it ;)

I don't understand why some are concerned, it's seems obvious that we are doing it for the love of Penn reels, the  fun of the possibilities of making updates to old technology, making it better . My first decent reel was a Penn 940, bought in 1982 , I still have it and still fish it, looks new because I took care of it, I'm like this with all the stuff that surrounds me, wish I had a 1957 Chev to restore :(

I like my Squidder , the only thing missing is SS higher gears

Marc..

garking84

I agree with marcq,,   I too love my squidder and I would like it even more if it had ss gears and ss dog. jeep, tank, weak, small.call it what you want to call it,  I believe if alan made these available he would have no problem selling them.  We should have a vote just to see how many members would be interested in ss gears.