Carbontex Thrust Washers

Started by Newell Nut, April 19, 2013, 11:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Several times in the Penn section I have read the recommendations for a thicker thrust washer under the gear. That got me to thinking about the same thing with a Newell.

The carbontex thrust washer that is in my sets of washers is .004 thinner than the Newell plastic thrust washer so I contacted Dawn and purchased the #21 carbontex washer that is .040" thick which is .010" thicker than the one that comes in the set. The OD is a little larger so when it arrived yesterday I put one on a Newell 338 to see if the OD was a problem. It does not interfere with the dog spring at all but it does overlap on top of the dog which I believe to be a good thing to keep the dog from moving up and off the gear from grease build up. Some people overgrease. Would you believe that?

Since it looked good I put everything back together and with only one 3-318 washer by the star it cranked down hard and tight without the star bumping the side plate.
Today I will test the drag pull on a scale as well as lift a heavy dumbbell with it to see how it reacts.

Newell Nut

I just completed the scale test and the drag slipped at 26 lb. Pretty good for an old 338-5 Newell with new Carbontex smooth drags with Cal's drag grease.

Next test with a heavy rod was to lift a 20 lb dumbbell. With the drag at the same setting I was able to lift the dumbbell. I loossened the star a little and then made some fast lifts and I got SMOOTH Drag as Dawn advertises.

So far the new #21 in .040 thickness is a winner for the thrust washer replacement.

BMITCH

What was the drag maxed out at befor the switch of the cf under the gear? I did this to all my Newell's but never really maxed them out. Always frightened to push tthem that hard. Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

I replace some old factory drags as part of a servicing so I don't know the before strength but it was rough. The drag rating through the 400 series was 25 lb. I have tested brand new 533s with factory drags that would not pass 17 lb so I am very impressed with what I currently have. The 500 series rating was 35. I tested a 533 last week that pulled 30 on a scale with carbontex and cals drag grease with Dawns standard set and easily lifted the 20 lb dumbbell.

To be honest I was a little concerned lifting the 20 lb dumbbell with this 338 because this reel has the old graphite base before the SS insert mod in later versions. I did put the rod clamp in place. After the test I taped the line on the spool and gave it a spin in freespool and it was really fast so I did not torque anything in this heavy test.

This reel is ready for serious snapper catching.

bluefish69

I've been using HT-100's  size 6-113 over a year with no problems. I never fish tight drags. I adjust as a fish pulls, lost too many good size fish with tight drag.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Fishing at max is a bad idea of course. The purpose of a drag is not get the line broke, however I was trying to achieve the listed ratings from Newell and I have found that. This quietens the doubters when it comes to carbontex and Cal's drag grease. Grease and brakes don't sound like a good idea but it works.

It still amazes me that the little 220 has a 25 lb drag system identical to the 400 series. The rest of the real may fly apart but the gears and drags are very robust for a tiny reel. Add a Tiburon frame and you have a little tank.

BMITCH

I upgraded a c-220-5 with the Tib. Frame and was fortunate to find on eBay a alum. Spool. The only down fall of this reel is that the handle side cover has the bearing inside and not with a SS bearing cup. Just think if there was to be an insert or gear that would allow an oct. or hex. Washer or insert to be used. That would increase drag theoretically by about 10#. I think that reel would explode if you put it under that stress or you may just come up with fish lips cause you ripped them right off. Does the penn jigmaster gears fit in these reels?
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

the Penn 505/506 main gear set will fit, but not sure about the pinion though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I don't see a need to change the 220 gear set since it is already heat treated SS and the drags can go to 25 lb.

I don't like those black caps that Newell designed on the right side plate bearings either. If that breaks what do you replace it with other than epoxy.The later S series reels went back to SS cups. The P series has the SS cups and some Gs also I believe and some original no letter reels. When I go ebay shopping I look for the SS cups on both sides. This allows the bearing to be changed without disassembling the reel.