cracking thick Belleville

Started by Brian A, April 25, 2013, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

email me with your address and i will send you a couple of bellevilles.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

Try McMaster Carr #9713k428 which is SS belleville spring washer that is the right size for the 500 and 600 series with a 900 lb working load. I don't think you could crack that one with an 8 lb hammer.

I received the heavy SS Bellevilles and noticed a sharp edge on the bottom side so I used 200 and 400 grit Sandpaper to get a smooth edge on the bottom. I installed one in a 540 3.2 and it fit perfect. With the star as tight as I could get it by hand I had to use a heavy glove and wrap the line around my hand to get any line off of the spool and it was smooth but hard to pull. Groupers will suffer now. I will definitely install these on my 631s. At a 900 lb working load rating this washer will not break in a reel.

I sent a few to Alan if someone wants to beg for one or go to Mcmaster and order a dozen.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on April 25, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
email me with your address and i will send you a couple of bellevilles.   ;D

How many more do you have?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

maybe a dozen total.  send me your address again and i will mail some to you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brian A

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 26, 2013, 01:26:37 AM
Try McMaster Carr #9713k428 which is SS belleville spring washer that is the right size for the 500 and 600 series with a 900 lb working load. I don't think you could crack that one with an 8 lb hammer.

Thanks! will do.  i'll have a report in sept after my vacay regarding all of these topics. 

Brian A

Quote from: franky on April 25, 2013, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on April 25, 2013, 05:40:24 PM
I sent Keta the dimensions for the 500 series and waiting to hear back from him if the 113H belleville is the same size as the 500.
The 18-505 would work but it is a smaller OD than the 500.

Right now, I'm looking at all three pieces:
1. Part#3-144 (small newell belleville spring)
2. Part#5-145 (large newell belleville spring)
3. Part#18-970(Penn 113H Tension spring)

The two newell belleville springs both have the same inside diameter approx 7/16".
The penn 113H tension spring has a larger size inside diameter at approx 9/16".

The penn 113H outside diameter is very close to the outside diameter of the small newell belleville spring.

The height of the two newell belleville springs are very similiar.  The height of the Penn 113H is slightly shorter, but very close.

Based on my observation, if you use the penn 113H tension spring in the newell 500 or 600 gearstack, you'll get a lot of side to side movement from the tension spring because of the bigger inside diameter.

If the penn 505 part has the same inside diameter as the jigmaster, then I would use that part instead.  Even if the outside diameter is smaller than the large newell belleville spring, it does not matter because the pressure would still be put onto the center part of the drag washers.  In other words, I have successfully put the small newell belleville spring into the newell 500 drag stack and it worked very well.

Mahalo for the help franky.  did you measurea if you get the same drag with the 505 tension washer? 

Alto Mare

I've seen this on youtube, maybe it's of some interest to you newell guys.

I'm not crazy about the belleville being on top of the carbon fiber, but it's working out or him  :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

Quote from: jaybri on April 26, 2013, 06:28:27 PM

Mahalo for the help franky.  Did you measure if you get the same drag with the 505 tension washer? 
[/quote]

Unfortunately I did not actually measure the drag tension.  I just worked on a 440 yesterday and seen the same set up as the youtube video that Sal posted above.  The drag seemed to have worked very well.

bluefish69

That was My Reel a friend was using for demo. He put the wrong numbers for the drag washers. Should be 6-309 for the drags. He also likes DRY Drag washers.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

I received the heavy SS Bellevilles and noticed a sharp edge on the bottom side so I used 200 and 400 grit Sandpaper to get a smooth edge on the bottom. I installed one in a 540 3.2 and it fit perfect. With the star as tight as I could get it by hand I had to use a heavy glove and wrap the line around my hand to get any line off of the spool and it was smooth but hard to pull. Groupers will suffer now. I will definitely install these on my 631s. At a 900 lb working load rating this washer will not break in a reel.

I sent a few to Alan if someone wants to beg for one or go to Mcmaster and order a dozen.
Read the update above.

Brian A

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 03, 2013, 02:35:10 PM

Read the update above.

Thanks for sharing Newell Nut! 

You guys awesome

Newell Nut

I was just looking a P series schematic with the 4 stack drag. That is a very popular arrangement and when it was made the star pressed against a spacer bushing that had a wide thick bottom on it and no belleville washer was installed.

This causes me to ask those that have been around reel mods longer than I. Was the belleville washer added to the stack later as a safety device to fail before the reel came apart? Just a thought.

If this is the case and someone wanted to max the drag and risk reel destruction then the belleville could be replaced with a thick flat washer under the standard drag spacer bushing. Just thinking.

barkley1956

I'm working on a P235-M with a cracked belleville spring. I have been browsing this thread and need a little help with a replacement since I cannot find a schematic for this model. Any suggestions will be much appreciated! Jim

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

The thin Belleville in your hand is just a spacer between the star and handle and serves no purpose and can be tossed in the trash. All it did was fill a gap. If you back off the star too hard it will crack the little Belleville.
When upgrading drags the way we have been doing with 5 stacks there is no room for that spacer any more anyway.