cracking thick Belleville

Started by Brian A, April 25, 2013, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

If we are indeed talking about the same outside Belleville, I can send you one if want it. I have bunch of them in my workbench.
PM me if you want one.

barkley1956

Thank you guys! Newell Nut I will get back to you on your offer, THANKS!

barkley1956

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 10, 2014, 11:24:35 PM
The thin Belleville in your hand is just a spacer between the star and handle and serves no purpose and can be tossed in the trash. All it did was fill a gap. If you back off the star too hard it will crack the little Belleville.
When upgrading drags the way we have been doing with 5 stacks there is no room for that spacer any more anyway.

The washer I posted is not the one you mentioned. It goes on top of the drag stack.

Tunacious

If that's a thin belville on top of your stack, it shouldn't go there....it will crack every time. ;D As has been stated before, they were made to go between the handle and star, though they'll crack there also. I, too, no longer use them. Newell made a thick belville which is suppose to go on top of the stack. I don't recall having issues with them cracking. I did replace them years ago, however, with the aforementioned mentioned Penn belville. I get a tad more drag using the Penn belville.

On my original P's, I believe I have either of two configurations, though I'd have to check to be sure:

1) The standard ss drag spacer goes on top of the Penn belville (used to be the thick Newell belville)
2) the large ss drag spacer (looks like a top hat) goes on top of the last keyed ss washer.

Now, whenever I purchase Bryan's new 5+1 drag system, I'll have to experiment to see what works best. :D

Newell Nut

Barkley

Tunacious is absolutely correct. The washers in the last picture are all that you should have and someone put that thin one on the inside by mistake.

If you do not have enough drag and find the star is touching he side plate then add another 3-18 washer between the star and the drag spacer bushing. KETA (Lee Putman) has those.

Earlier you said you could not find part numbers. Click on the Newell Tutorial Tab, then third item down is the schematics that you need for part numbers and where they go.
If you have more trouble sound off. We can get you fixed eventually.

SNAPS

Hello Guys re 220-5 fixing for a friend

lemme get this straight you totally do away with the p/n 3-142 belleville spring washer because hey crack I agree.

My problem the p/n 3-12 drag spacer sits too low and the star drag ( when fully tightened) hits and binds against the housing IE side plate. Seems thats  partly due to the p/n 3-18 drag lockwasher that sits between the star drag and 3-12 drag spacer is crumbled and fell apart and gone.

In summary I can do away with the 3-142 but I still need the 3-18 drag lockwasher, what is the penn p/n ??

Also need the FL-662 which is a 6-40x5/8 stls stl fillister head screw locally n/a only place i found was mil spec at mcmaster carr pack of 25 for $13 any body got a source ?

thanks all for your help.

Newell Nut

The drag spacer is recessed too much due to the need of new drags probably. I have the 3-18s that KETA fabricated for me and are SS. McMaster is a good source for the fillister head screw and the cheapest source as well. You may find some used ones on ebay but may cost more than a box 25 new ones.

The 3-142 only takes up space and no value.

PM me if you want a 3-18.

bluefish69

Don't forget the Penn 18-505 Beveled Washer for the top of the Drag Stack

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SNAPS

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 03, 2014, 11:51:03 PM
The drag spacer is recessed too much due to the need of new drags probably. I have the 3-18s that KETA fabricated for me and are SS. McMaster is a good source for the fillister head screw and the cheapest source as well. You may find some used ones on ebay but may cost more than a box 25 new ones.

The 3-142 only takes up space and no value.

PM me if you want a 3-18.

I sent you a pm thank you very much I owe you one, saves me a headache.

This is a friends reel and another friend had installed a tiburon frame for him but DID NOT GREASE THE SCREW HOLES OR MATING SURFACES ONE SCREW HEAD JUST WENT POP ! WAS I PISSED, luckily there was enuff of the broken screw to work with, and the screw hole went thru the entire width of the frame, so,  by dumping the frame in hot water and then constantly spraying it with PB blaster and slowly working it out.
The 6-40x5/8" fillister head stainless steel screws- I was wrong mcmaster carr only carries them up to 3/8" long hence too short  that is a very odd size normal size is 6-32 i scoured the internet therefore i am going to have to buy a complete set from that guy on Ebay.

Getting ready to order a set of carbontex drags yea they do look a little crappy.

SNAPS

Quote from: bluefish69 on July 04, 2014, 03:16:24 AM

Mike

Mike thanks for your reply I want to be sure we are talking the same part, please advise what is the newell p/n ?

I need the newell p/n 3-18 ( fell out in pieces) newell nut is kind enough to send me, which sits between the star and the drag spacer newell
p/n  3-12.

Newell Nut

The 18-505 can be bought from Scott's at MysticParts.com. It is a very good replacement for the factory newell Belleville that sits right on top of the drag stag. If the original is good then don't worry about it. This is just a very good option and will fit any Newell.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

bluefish69

Quote from: SNAPS on July 04, 2014, 07:09:02 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on July 04, 2014, 03:16:24 AM

Mike

Mike thanks for your reply I want to be sure we are talking the same part, please advise what is the newell p/n ?

The Penn 18-505 is the replacement for the Newell Part #3-144

I need the newell p/n 3-18 ( fell out in pieces) newell nut is kind enough to send me, which sits between the star and the drag spacer newell
p/n  3-12.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.