old Newell 4 stack drag

Started by Brian A, May 01, 2013, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian A

Just thought I'd share some pics.  I'll update with measurements when i get my calipers.

Bryan Young

Hi Brian,

You could fit a 5+1 stack in that gear set if you wish.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brian A

oh man, serious?!  gonna have to buy up some 400 series now.  the drag was the reason why i stayed away from the 400 for using 60 to 80lb mono for ulua fishing.  What you think Bryan, this setup would be a 6 drag washer setup with that under gear washer included... how much drag you think it'll put out?  a solid 20 would be enough for me. 

day0ne

The way those washers are laid out in the top picture it's a 1+1 drag stack
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Brian, seriously. 20# is pushing it with that reel though. Maybe 18# max.

You will need to order the penn 500 metal washers (2 sets) and carbontex 0.5 this carbontex washers (cannot remember the number) and it could be done. The last eared washer may need to have the ears bent towards the gear like what Shimano does with a shallow gear
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

this is the way that all gear sleeves should have been made!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

I bought a P 332 last week and it had a 4 stack drag in it. It looked nearly new but I put a #21 in .040 thickness in the bottom and then the normal .030 that Dawn supplies in the stack and all with cals drag grease. I spooled it today at lunch and pulled 30 lb on the scale. Stronger than I thought it would be. I was thinking of just parting it out and selling it until I did the drag test. I was impressed and this reel is going to get a 322Tiburon kit installed next week. ;D

bluefish69

I just did a 220 Blackie with the 4 Stack. I'm afraid to load the drag because of the age of the reel.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

You have a little tank there for sure. I believe every 4 stack drag sytem that I have seen on ebay has gone for at least $90 and more.

bluefish69

Some people just don't know what they have.

Bryan Young

I just did a 220 and a 229 with a 5 + 1 drag stack and the drag is amazing.  I didn't push it beyond 18# because if I'd damaged the gears, i would have to replace it, which I do not have.  Pushing your own reels to those upper limits...well, you know the risks involved, and you will need to live with the consequences.  This is something as a reel tech I cannot do.

I will re-create the stack after I order more washers (both metal and CF) for this configuration.

Newell Nut

I would not fish with one that heavy because I don't use heavy line but it is nice to nice what kind of power they have. The little 229s that I have with Tib frames are amazing little reels with the same guts as a 440. I will always be a Newell Nut and admire the creativity of Carl Newell.

bluefish69

If you can get a washer pressed on the Bridge Sleeve that would help a lot. The main gear has a cut out to fit the drag washer.

Brian A

Quote from: bluefish69 on May 02, 2013, 01:13:24 AM
If you can get a washer pressed on the Bridge Sleeve that would help a lot. The main gear has a cut out to fit the drag washer.

i think it is pressed on as in the pic.

Just wondering guys, how are you guys measuring the drag ?  is the line through a rod that flexes or ?  would like to test the same way to compare. 

Also, for the 5+1, is it 5 #21, 3 keyed 0.9 mm, 2 eared 0.9mm ?  and then for these newell 4 stack orig, just add another #21 for the recess under the main. sound right?

mahalo!

Bryan Young

Brian, that's it, but no certain of the Carbontex because I'm not sure of the sizing.