old Newell 4 stack drag

Started by Brian A, May 01, 2013, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Alan has mentioned a heavier CF washer for Penns many times under the gear so I decided to find one for my Newells. The #21 in .040 thickness is something that I just recently tried and it makes a difference under the gear in the standard set.
I test my reel drag on a rod with a straight pull against the scale. Using a heavier rod I then tie my line to a 20 lb dumbbell and lift it with no slipping of the drag. The first reel that I tried the new washer on was a 338 successfully and it really surprised me on this new 4 stack drag design with the pressed on washer and recess in the grear like you have pictured.
The number 21 washer comes in .030 and .040 so you have to specify the .040 thickness.

bluefish69

For the 4 stack I just use 6-309 HT-100's

If i'm going 3+1  then it's 3 - 6-309's & 1 - 6-113 HT-100 under between the Bridge Sleeve & the Main Gear.

Some reels have more room on top of the stack - try a 18-505 Bevelle Washer on top
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Brian A

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 02, 2013, 09:32:18 AM
Alan has mentioned a heavier CF washer for Penns many times under the gear so I decided to find one for my Newells. The #21 in .040 thickness is something that I just recently tried and it makes a difference under the gear in the standard set.
I test my reel drag on a rod with a straight pull against the scale. Using a heavier rod I then tie my line to a 20 lb dumbbell and lift it with no slipping of the drag. The first reel that I tried the new washer on was a 338 successfully and it really surprised me on this new 4 stack drag design with the pressed on washer and recess in the grear like you have pictured.
The number 21 washer comes in .030 and .040 so you have to specify the .040 thickness.

So the #21 comes in 0.040, 0.030, and 0.020? 

Das cool, get options, just gotta double check da math.

Also, all of my 4 stack drags don't have Belleville washers... is that right? If so, das cool. Like Bryan Young been saying, no need, i guess.

Thanks for all your Newell infos gang.

Newell Nut

The #21 comes in .030 and .040. I bought the .040s for my test and they work great on everything so far under the gear.
I have a P447 4 stack that I just cleaned up. I put the #21 under the gear, 3 6-309 HTs in the gear. On this one there was still some play between the stack and the big drag spacer. I thought about just putting another CF on top but could not do that because it hit the side plate. Trimmed the OD to slightly larger than the bottom of the drag spacer and it fit perfect in the recess in the side plate and the drag feels really smooth and strong.

I will load it up with some cheap old line and do a scale test just to see what it has for max drag.

Newell Nut

I got 17 on the scale and decided to remove the CF washer that I put between the stack and the drag spacer. Reassembled and pulled 25 lb on the scale.
I was going to try the 18-505 belleville but the assembly became too tall to fit in the side plate.

25 is plenty of drag for a 447 anyway. This P447 is nearly new condition and all threads and screws are lubed. I replaced all of the fillister head screws that hold the inner rings to the bars and base and lubed. If anyone is interested PM me and I can some pics for you.