Calcutta 400te Reel wont engage

Started by lazy guy, May 05, 2013, 01:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy guy

I finished upgrading my bearings and changed the drag out to Carbontex. I put the reel back together and everything seemed fine until I put the reel in free spool. Free spool was smooth, but the reel won't engage back into gear when I turn the handle. I had to take it apart and push the clutch bar up to re-engage the reel.  What am I missing?

Propster

Does your thumb bar disengage the free spool properly and reeling the handle forward just won't close it? Could be a couple things. First I would check to make sure the AR ratchet is in right side up so the angled teeth are catching the clutch pawl properly. If its facing the wrong way those teeth are a little more sloped if you will, and won't trip it as we'll. secondly I'd make sure the ratchet is seated properly on the click pin holder so it's at the right height to contact the pawl.

lazy guy

When I put the reel in free spool, everything works u til I try to re-engge the reel. There is a clicking sound as the clutch pawl tries to re-engage, but does not.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lazy guy

Reserved the ar ratchet and everything is working. Thanks for the help.

Dan-J

I decided to tackle my TE 300 this week...  broke it down, replaced bearings and drags with smoothdrag products.  All went well until I turned the handle after engaging the free spool.  After 4 tries to figure out what I did wrong I looked at this site and found this thread ;D
All I had to do was reverse the ratchet gear and I was back in business.  Thanks for the help.

BTW.  This was the most complicated reel that I have ever tackled on my own.  Lots of small parts...I had a bearing retaining clip fly across the room which I did eventually find and that tiny drag clicker knob I found in a small ball of grease in the pan I washed the parts in.

exp2000

Quote from: Dan-J on December 07, 2016, 06:23:58 PM
...I had a bearing retaining clip fly across the room ......

Yep, I am sure that there is a fishing reel poltergeist occupying my house  :o

Maybe I should hire a tackle exorcist  ;D
~

Zimbass

Quote from: exp2000 on December 07, 2016, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: Dan-J on December 07, 2016, 06:23:58 PM
...I had a bearing retaining clip fly across the room ......

Yep, I am sure that there is a fishing reel poltergeist occupying my house  :o

Maybe I should hire a tackle exorcist  ;D
~

:D :D :D :D ;D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

reel man

Both the 300 and 400 TE's were way over engineered reels. 

Lunker Larry

And all those little parts are under tension, waiting to escape.  ;D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

exp2000

Quote from: reel man on December 08, 2016, 06:10:41 AM
Both the 300 and 400 TE's were way over engineered reels.  

What do you think of Daiwa Lunas then?

To me, these reels are things of beauty  :)

I really appreciate such masterpieces of fine engineering.

And I probably don't realize just how lucky I am to regularly work on them.

I guess I am pretty spoiled.
~