PR Bobbin tool - are there alternatives, or should I buy the $60 version?

Started by Jon_Kol, May 12, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

One of my favorite knots to use when connecting braid and mono, is the FG-knot. I've always tied it by hand since I first saw the tutorial video on Youtube, but I'm a bit fascinated with the people using a bobbin for this knot, as well as the PR knot versions - which I also very much like the look of.

The questions is, are there alternatives to the $60 PR Bobbin tool which is sold for instance on eBay and if so, are the alternative versions just as good?

I've never tried such a tool, but I must admit that I do like knots that look tight and are reliable.

Anyone with an input on what to buy, if I'm to get me such a tool? Thanks!

-Jon-

locknut

Gidday I use the Jigging Master version. It is fierce expensive but has the advantage of being able to adjust the amount of pressure on the line while in use rather than wrapping the line around one of the arms. And hey I love using well built things. Still working up to Ferrari 458 though. If its a budget thing go for what you can justify spending they all do work.

Keta

It looks like a small Norwegian net needle will do the job at a much lower cost.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

milkman

Yeah, if you don't want to spend the big bucks on a Jigging Master, Shout, Nature Boys, Swedish ti-tech one...etc etc - just go for the stock standard "cricket pitch roller"/cotton bobbin style one (like the one that the previous poster put together himself). 
You can pick up a professionally made one like this pretty cheaply ($20 or so), and they do exactly the same job as the expensive ones.  You adjust the tension by the number of wraps of braid around the leg of the device (I do 6x).  Works well..

Ron Jones

I guess I have to try this knot. I never thought of using fly tieing equipment to attach mono to braid.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

tpilk

It's a great knot and so far I've never had a slip or a failure. Can't say that about the Sato/hollow-core connection.

I began with my old fly tying bobbins then switched to a bobbin designed for PR Knots after watching a guy use one. I figured for all the money I throw into this sport/hobby/obsession, what's another $50 or so. The truth is it's a pleasure to use. The tensioning is great, as is the additional weigh. Spins much tighter wraps than my fly tying bobbin.

If you're pinching pennies, it's certainly not a requirement. But then again, we don't "need" a lot of the gear we buy right? I've questioned the need of a number of purchases I've made (including the recent Sato kit and a bunch of hollow-core)...the bobbin was a great addition. It's funny because I have often and always condemned the use of "gadgets," particulalry for knot tying. Mostly because when you need to tie, Murphy's Law says it won't be available or too dark to use it or whatever. In the case of the PR bobbin, I stand corrected. It's a good tool and a great knot.

Any chance you can try one out to get a feel for the difference?   

Rothmar2

Here's an alternative, make your own....

All stainless steel, and has a CF drag. Not 100% finished, but usable as it is. Will eventually get rid of the Nylock for a knurled tension adjuster. Just haven't quite got around to it. It's been one of those things I've been doing in between Jigmaster stuff. As it is reasonably weighty, the wraps are always super tight, and don't have dramas with slippage. Been well worth the effort. Sorry for digging up an old thread.

Tiddlerbasher

Hi - made a similar 'bobbin' out of brass and aluminium. CF washer - 2 bellevilles and an adjusting knob.
But not as elegant (or engineered as well) like yours - lovely engineering :)

All I have to do is find it ;D

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

boon

The fly-tying style ones don't get the wraps anywhere near as tight as the heavier, tensionable ones specifically for the task.

I quite like these ones:
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/jig-star-standard-pr-bobbin

The price is in NZD, works out to about $35USD which is not bad at all for a bespoke accessory.

All things considered though, I can tie an FG that breaks close to 100%, and I can tie it in a small boat at sea... not something I would love to try with the PR.