Poor Ugly Stick rebuild

Started by saltydog, May 20, 2013, 12:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Just thought I would help a friend bring his old uglystick back to life.

And after some reworking and TLC on the blank.

Now all I have to do is get some epoxy on it and get it back to fishing.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Very talented Salty, thanks for sharing. Did you also make those wraught iron decorations in the background?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

I like the wrapping but why the S S guides
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

saltydog

Well for one I am a little old school and he wanted them because if they get dropped the insert in the eye doesn't pop out and you have to rework it all over again.Plus I have always used ss guides in all my offshore rods because they are tough,durable and need little care,a rinse and you are on your way.I know the other guides look cool and carry a heaftier price tag but a good slap on the deck or a bounce off a rail and pop there goes the guide unuseable(note pic of insert popped out of guide in pic) and must be replaced plus they work good for braided line.Just my opinion.
MacArthur

saltydog

The only ones on the fence I made was the Texas sign and the cross but that was 20 years ago and pretty much gave up the hobby.
MacArthur

edgarz

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

Dominick

William:  that is very cool.  I wish I could do that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Well Dominick it is not very hard and with a little bookwork you could do it yourself in just a weekend.I built my own rod wrapper when I was 14 and have been doing it ever since.And it won't break the bank, a wrapper can be built for around 20 bucks.
MacArthur

Dominick

I have a busy month coming up including a trip to Cabo.  When I get back I'll look into it.  It will give my wife something else to complain about.   :D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Dominick, it really isn't that hard to do. If my fat fingers can do it yours can. The nice thing is you don't have to do it all at once; just do one phase at a time. But you will have to clean off your work bench.  :o  ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 20, 2013, 09:23:26 PM
But you will have to clean off your work bench.  :o  ;D
Rob
(Aw scatological comment.)   :D  Dominick

Bryan Young

Dominick, I could make it easy for you...I can bring over my rod lathe and you could go at it... and when you perfect it, I need a few acid wrapped rods  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 20, 2013, 09:57:43 PM
Dominick, I could make it easy for you...I can bring over my rod lathe and you could go at it... and when you perfect it, I need a few acid wrapped rods  ;D

Okay.  If you are serious I'll clean the garage near the end of June.  Right now it is a disaster.  There are 2 file cabinets 2 desks and 2 credenzas along with boxes of old files and other stuff.  We emptied out two offices and made one of the rooms back to a bedroom.  I mean I cannot walk in there.  Also no one wants those old fashion desks and credenzas anymore.  They may all end up in the dump.  Dominick