new handle grips for 2013

Started by alantani, May 23, 2013, 04:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigfla

I have these on my Shimano 30 II's. It has been terrible weather here so I haven't had a chance to use them real world but they are damn nice and feel great.

Jason Groombridge

G'day Alan,

Like the look of the new grips, will probably be up for some soon. Does this mean though that you no longer do the spinning reel grip with the smaller OD shaft?

Just a point that you may consider with your grips in the future, don't know if it has been mentioned here or not before. I had trouble gripping the shaft without marking it in order to tighten the grip onto the reel. Any chance the new version could have some small flats machined on the shaft so a small spanner could be used to stop it rotating while trying to tighten? I know this would add to the cost but I reckon would be worthwhile.

Cheers

Jason

Norcal Pescador

I use an allen wrench at each end to tighten the grip on the handle arm. ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jason Groombridge on June 12, 2013, 12:44:03 PM
Like the look of the new grips, will probably be up for some soon. Does this mean though that you no longer do the spinning reel grip with the smaller OD shaft?

Spinner grips are still available, but we currently have limited quantities.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sigfla

Was able to use them yesterday. These handles are fantastic on my TLD's. Highly recommend them. We caught Blackfin and Mahi on them and they worked great. Very comfortable.

Jason Groombridge

Thanks Rob and Bryan,

Feel a bit stupid now, I should have thought about putting an allen key in each end of the grip to tighten it.

Cheers

Jason

Alto Mare

Guys did you ever think the 6/0 grip would look this tiny? ;D

Nice craftsmanship Alan, thank you!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 15, 2013, 01:10:37 PM
Guys did you ever think the 6/0 grip would look this tiny? ;D

Nice craftsmanship Alan, thank you!

Sal

It does look tiny. Until you realize that the reel is big enough to have a chair of its own. :) 
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

broschro

Bobsled 55

Quote from: sigfla on June 07, 2013, 01:35:51 AM
I have these on my Shimano 30 II's. It has been terrible weather here so I haven't had a chance to use them real world but they are damn nice and feel great.

What size did you install?  Any pictures?

Alan, I'm still interested in picking up a handle for my Shimano TLD 30 II plus those other parts we spoke of.  Really busy at work so give me a few days and I'll contact you again.

Thanks!!

Robert

MFB

My Daiwa 900H with new handle & carbontex drag washers fitted.
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

floating doc

Quote from: MFB on October 06, 2013, 08:42:43 AM
My Daiwa 900H with new handle & carbontex drag washers fitted.

Welcome aboard!  I also have a 900H with the Alan Tani CF drag. My handle arrived this week. Nice to see how it's going to look; I like it.
Central Florida

virpacalis

I'd like to put your 5-0 handle grips on my old star drag Torque 300 as well as my Penn 12VSX and 16VSX. Would I be able to install these with an allen wrench? If not, what tools would I need?

Thank you for your help,
JD

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

you just need standard size allen wrenchres and you'll be fine...i have the 2nd gen and love them...

virpacalis

Excellent. I'll send in an order for 3 of these. Any specific recommendations for, say, Loctite?