REEL FACTS

Started by Norcal Pescador, May 24, 2013, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I had my senior moment today.....picked up an old 112H with post frames and torpedo handles yesterday, too late to do anything with it, so I day dreamed while at work today....got home grabbed a beer and turned on the tv while I tore it down...was pleasantly surprised to find carbon fiber drags already in it but they were dry and all the old grease was dry and hardened...so another beer and some scrubbing, new grease and time to put it back together...ohh and another beer....got the drag stack together, greased the screw holes and generally greased everything....watching tv and another beer....not in a big hurry to get it done, because this is supposed  to be fun.

Anyway all back together and the eccentric doesnt wok...wont move.....ok...tear it down....check the eccentric to make sure it moves correctly...back together...still doesnt work ......another tear down ad reassemble...still nada....ok check the tutorial on the rebuild....got everything ready to go back together....damn...still nada.

Long story short....had the bridge screws reversed and the yoke was hanging up on the threads....ohhh and another beer...think it's bed time for Bonzo.... ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

swill88

Quote from: TARFU on May 09, 2015, 06:20:58 AM
Long story short....had the bridge screws reversed and the yoke was hanging up on the threads....ohhh and another beer...think it's bed time for Bonzo.... ;D

That happens to me too... except with vodka not beer...

steelhead_killer

A dab of grease on the retainer clips prevents them from flying into space when you remove them!
><)))">

Lalo13

Quote from: steelhead_killer on November 15, 2015, 04:18:27 PM
A dab of grease on the retainer clips prevents them from flying into space when you remove them!
GEEEENIIIIOOOOUUUSSS !!!! In my best Pavaroti voice ...

Makule

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 16, 2013, 07:55:07 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on July 15, 2013, 05:11:54 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on July 15, 2013, 03:07:09 AM

The gear ratio between 2 gears is determined by their respective diameters, and since the teeth have to be identical for the gears to mesh, their diameter is a function of the number of teeth. That's why you can just divide the number of teeth to get the ratio.

I hear this from time to time on this sight and it just doesn't make sense. If I have 10 teeth on 1 5 inch gear and 5 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear I have a 2:1 ratio, end of story. Admittedly the teeth would be HUGE to make that work but you get my drift.

If I have 10 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear and 5 teeth on one 1 inch gear the ratio is, you guessed it, 2:1! Although from a design standpoint gear size for a given ratio is needed for proper function, diameter has no impact on ratio.

Ron

Diameter does not have a direct effect on final gear ratio. It is the circumferences of each gear that is affected by diameter than changes gear ratio. But, you can't increase since most reels can't take a larger diameter gear. Increasing the diameter of a gear while maintaining the same pinion gear will give a higher gear ration. Decreasing dia. while keeping pinon size the same will decrease gear ratio.

For the gears to mesh correctly, the cut of each tooth is like thread pitch on a bolt, hole, or nut and they must be the same or they cannot mesh with one another. Therefore, the spacing between each tooth, just like thread pitch will be the same. In threads, you have "threads per inch". You count the threads since that is in reference to the length as if you were measuring in millimeters or inches. So, in a 1/4-20 bolt, we have 20 threads per inch. It's the same concept but the thread lays on the circumference of the gears. COUNT THE TEETH! It's a sure fire method; it's never wrong. NEVER (unless you use the wrong pinion gear-then it's FUBARed)

This is correct.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Glos

Quote from: Makule on December 03, 2013, 02:32:22 AMWhile it is true that the man operating the machine has a lot to do with the results, it's equally true that machines (including reels) have an optimum operating range.  Using a 6/0 to catch river trout is somewhat unreasonable, as is using a bait casting reel to catch a 1000 pound marlin.

On another note, a guy I know is a retired auto mechanic.  He enjoys repairing stuff, including non-automotive.  I've advised him a few times, that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean it should be.  For example, his impact gun stopped working and he opted to buy the repair parts rather than just toss it in the trash (he has many impact guns, including better ones).  After the cost of the part and shipping, he spent more than if he had just bought another gun (same brand same model).  To make matter worse, it still didn't work because something else was wrong.  He then decided to toss the gun.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If cost is not an issue, then buy the appropriate item for the job, get regular maintenance, and buy the best available to begin with.
That is how I "repair" my cheap Chinese head lamp.
Payed for the lamp 2 € and than replace the LED diodes within with separately bough expensive CREE diode, 5 W, 6 €.
Plus replaced battery casing with new one, for better contact, that costs 2 €.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Shellbelly

Repair vs Replace?

Some like to tinker and some don't.  It's all about the value of your time.  When the value of your time is no longer measured in dollars, but instead in enjoyment or even necessity, the things you do are usually more rewarding.  I believe this is a constant.

:fish

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Fishead

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 10, 2013, 09:16:41 PM
Quote from: nelz on July 10, 2013, 08:38:56 PMDon't repair under the influence. The reel you kill could be your own. Don't drink and screw drive!

That their is funny, I don't care who you are.
Ron

Not only funny but true!!
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!