Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumphrick

Great pictures of some fine looking tools and improvisations....

Why the compass, Harry?

harryk3616

hi triumphrick       i use the compass when i'm installing the sideplate, especially if the chrome ring is loose, it keeps everything lined up and when i'm installing the plate, i stick the point of the compass into the hole of one of the cross bars ,then  slide the plate into position ,alinging the shaft of the spool with the bearing hole, then i have my green screw driver, screw holder all set up with a screw stuck in it, i  install the screw loosley then install the rest of the screws.

publius

That double funnel line stripper is great.

harryk3616

hi pubulis          did you make a funnel line stripper?   the wooden spool holder also works great if you have the reel apart and you want to strip the line off the spool, less wear and tear on the reel bearings and innards.

redsetta

Great post Harry - nice to be able to put a face to the name ;) ;D
Thanks for sharing your innovations.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

harryk3616

hi   justin          how have you been?  hope all is well with you and your family,  my son was home and he helped post the pictures of my shop and innovations, being handicapped i have to overcome many obstacles, and hopefully my innovations will help others.  thanks for responding, my best to you.   harryk

redsetta

All good here Harry, thanks.
There's a bit of a storm over NZ today, which makes for perfect reel-fixing weather, but I'm just getting over a broken shoulder so am only partially able at present ;)
Should be good as gold in another couple of weeks.
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Harry,
     Do you make wooden puppets with long noses, too? Very impressive!
I like the lag bolts in the planos... to assist in getting them off the shelf without a hassle.
I feel like I just read the tips and tricks section of "saltwater sportsman" magazine.
I like that you ain't lettin' nuttin' stop ya... create to suit your needs ;)
Thanks
Dom

El Pescador

Harry,

LOVE the Double Funnel Line Stripper!  and this idea would have saved me $12.95 for a Father's Day Gift from my sons!

http://www.getlineoff.com/fishing-line-winder.htm                  My sons purchased this product for me for Father's Day, and now I see the charge on my Credit Card!!!!

What other nifty tool products do you use in your work area???

Inquiring minds want to know!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

harryk3616

good morning   el pescador     i have a couple of other special tools i have made. when my son comes home again i'll have him put them on line again.  i purchased fine wire wheels on ebay for my dremel, on slow speed it is fantastic for removing green corrosion on the brass ecentric parts as well as minor junk on the chrome parts without no harmful marks on the chrome, it  polishes the chrome. i'm working on a screen basket to put real greasey yucky parts in that i can spin in my wd40 solution with my drill to clean the parts and not get my fingers and work area real dirty, that will begin monday when i go to the dollar store. some times you get a reel that is filled with dirty thick grease.  i use a small meat baster like a hypodermic needle, with a large opening of the needle naturally, filled with grease to lube tight areas ,plus i like to put a dab of grease inside the hole of the escentric spring . i have a couple of things in the works, i'll post them when i'm done,  take care, thanks,  harryk

BMITCH

Harry, all great ideas. Thanks again for sharing. For really small parts I use a tea infuser. It's a small basket fine meshed item.

I drop it in my ultrasonic cleaner(search eBay) and don't worry about the small parts. Hope that helps.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

hi   bob     amazing, thats exactly what i'm looking for, i use a strainer with the parts in it and wash with an acid brush, i was going to try and rig two together to make exactly what you have shown, fantastic, i'll go to the store monday weather permitting with my scooter and buy one, thanks for the picture and the come back, my best  to you, harryk

Joel.B

Harry- please be sure to ALWAYS wear eye protection when using the wire wheels on dremels - they throw those wires off like darts and they can/will go deep into your eye.  I've pulled them from my face, arms, chest......

I have amazing eyesight- I can spot a bait-boil from miles away- I value my eyes so I wear eye protection whenever using any power tool

Harry, you should grab one of those cheap ultrasonic tanks from Ebay or harbor freight.  Mine is fancy "GUNSMITH" model with Lyman label on it- but almost sure the cheaper jobbers are same maker.     They work great at quickly removing green corrosion, grease, crud, rust.....

I use water with white vinegar for corroded reel parts

harryk3616

hi    joel         thanks for responding,  yes you are 100% right, i do wear glasses ,but not protective ones, a couple of times later in the night, i have pulled wire strands from my hand or fingers, they embed them selves nicely, yes the eyes are most important.   i just looked on ebay for the tea infusers, i do think i'll look into the ultra sonic cleaners, thanks again, harryk

harryk3616

hi   joel      i just saw a ultra sonic cleaner on line at harbor freight, a one pint capacity, is that large enough or should i go bigger?