Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Nice!

Have you considered having someone produce a small run of these and offering them up for sale?  I think there is definately a market for spooling machines that don't require tapping into one's home equity line of credit.

Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely job :) How difficult was the anodising? I keep meaning to try it as I have a lot of aluminium projects.

When I built my line winder I used a variable speed 36v dc e-bike motor. To up the torque and lower the revs (180rpm final) i used small timing pulleys - Can wind with 20lb of drag if necessary. In practice 8-10lb of drag is all you will need for braid. To get the drag I used a lever drag principal - very consistant. The level wind was a re-cycled sic rod tip - keeps the hand away from the moving bits ;)

swill88

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 29, 2015, 08:35:09 PM
Nice!

Have you considered having someone produce a small run of these and offering them up for sale?  I think there is definately a market for spooling machines that don't require tapping into one's home equity line of credit.

Just a thought.

a really good thought!

feeder

Quote from: swill88 on June 30, 2015, 10:29:36 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 29, 2015, 08:35:09 PM
Nice!

Just a thought.

a really good thought!

Thanks guys. Actually it's not too hard to create and there are some already on the market similar to this already. The main thing is the drill holder and the spooler. The spooler can be bought for a little over a $130 and the rest can be made if you have some basic tools and keep an eye out for aluminum scrap sales. Trust me, if I can make this anyone can.

feeder

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 30, 2015, 10:10:28 AM
Lovely job :) How difficult was the anodising? I keep meaning to try it as I have a lot of aluminium projects.

When I built my line winder I used a variable speed 36v dc e-bike motor. To up the torque and lower the revs (180rpm final) i used small timing pulleys - Can wind with 20lb of drag if necessary. In practice 8-10lb of drag is all you will need for braid. To get the drag I used a lever drag principal - very consistant. The level wind was a re-cycled sic rod tip - keeps the hand away from the moving bits ;)

That is slick. I'm curious about the lever drag mechanism. Do you have anymore pics with how it's setup? I'll be honest, I'm looking to see if I can steal it and  recreate it for fun :D

The anodizing was easier than I thought. Cleanliness on your part is a huge factor and taking the time to figure the surface area really helps takes the guesswork out. I wrote a little guide about it a little while back in case anyone wanted to see how I went about it. It's probably got some gaps but gives an idea of the general process for home use. Part 1 deals with supplies and general setup. Part 2 has the formulas and a link to a calculator you can use to get the time and amperage you need to run the parts for.

Part 1 http://shinyinsanity.com/aluminum-anodizing-part-1/

Part 2 http://shinyinsanity.com/aluminum-anodizing-part-2/

jonnou

That is a great machine Feeder!! Just thinking things like this would make great Kitsets Using a combination of manufactured and available parts. Lots of people have some but not all of the skills to produce a beast like that . Well done and I love the anodising Great Job!
Best Jon

Tiddlerbasher

feeder

Quote from: jonnou on July 01, 2015, 05:34:17 AM
That is a great machine Feeder!! Just thinking things like this would make great Kitsets Using a combination of manufactured and available parts. Lots of people have some but not all of the skills to produce a beast like that . Well done and I love the anodising Great Job!
Best Jon

Thank a lot Jon. I appreciate it.  The most tedious part was all the drilling without a drill press. It just takes some time and patience but I believe a lot of people could do this.

feeder

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 01, 2015, 09:10:55 AM
Feeder - You can find a description here on the 2nd page :)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.0

Thanks. That is very creative and well designed.

Dirtydeeds

Wow impressive talent and work. After looking around on this site a bit, I decided to make my own IAR bearing remover/installer tool with the end of rv propane tank connector, took big plastic hand nut off and removed hose and thought this will work it was strait shaft with mushroom head on it with barbed end to go in hose. Will use drill press as lathe to cut it and use drill press for arbor press to remove bearings. Used file for cutting tooth and it worked really well I might add. Took about 1/2 hour to make it.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Sweet - good idea.
Do you get enough grunt, from a drill press, to shift an Ambassador AR bearing?
I found I needed an arbor press (with an appropriately sized socket).

Dirtydeeds

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 16, 2015, 03:40:00 PM
Sweet - good idea.
Do you get enough grunt, from a drill press, to shift an Ambassador AR bearing?
I found I needed an arbor press (with an appropriately sized socket).

[Tiddler yes there was enough to punch it out no problem but I was shocked at how much force it took to push a tiny bearing out like that. I did use a 9/16 socket on the out side it sat on the second ring nice and tight.]

Tiddlerbasher

Yep them suckers can be reel tight  :D

Dirtydeeds

Heres my homemade red neck rod holder for the pontoon boat it holds 8 rods in a circle pattern its ugly but it works and in the middle I keep my telescopic aluminum pole with hook slid down the center post from the top. I also have a shreks head off a shrek doll to cover the center post when pole hook not in center. Grandkids love the shrek head ahaha.