Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

forget the rod holder, I really like the floatation tubes/devices on the rods, what did you used?

I see a money saver on them, I was about to lost my trini16 few years ago when I have the rod on my hands and leave it for 3 seconds to take something on the boat, fish took the lure and took my rod for a dive, well almost did it, my at friend at the end of the panga was fast enough to take the rod when it was on it way to the deep sea.

The Baja Guy

gstours

Sorry ,  Harry I couldnt view any pictures from this post,   says no 3rd party hosting.   Hope your doing well up there!! ???

spize909

Quote from: spize909 on August 18, 2013, 09:18:49 PM
Well, this is what we ended up with. I got my old 1/2 drill out and clamped her onto a piece of 3/4x3/4 with a big u-bolt. I scored the case a little and put some JB type stuff on it to just feel a little more secore about it sliding out.
I did a couple reels, it worked well but started melting the plastic on the 1/4 lb spool. I fixed that with some different washers.

and the other motor clamps in the bench vise to still strip line.

Couple more.......

I kind of like the little stripper attachment more than the winder. It would work in a cordless too.
Stuff is still all working as designed........hard to get enough tension to do braid though. I can't put a hand on the spool, control the drill and put the line on straight all at the same time.

harryk3616

looking good,  nice work your very innovative makes reel working a pleasure.   harryk

Gobi King

I am in the process of building my line winder, could you guys please help me with sourcing the components please:

1. Spool Holder with drag - Beez Kneez ($150), I have this and works very well, I have tried it at 5#s of drag only.
2. Motor with speed control - Enduro sewing machine motor with speed control ($110), I am impressed with the features and power, I plan to use a 5:1 pull to drive the reel winding arm. The motor will be set to run at 500 rpm and the arm will be at 100 rpm

3. Reel bracket - I called/emailed Pro Power Winder (one that Alan uses), for the quote on the just the Reel Bracket, it has been over 2 weeks, and I did not get a response yet. Who makes a reel bracket that I can use?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi - I think you need to revisite the motor option. A sewing machine motor ain't gunner hunt - been there tried it, the t shirt don't fit ;)
Have a look at this link for ideas:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.msg110815#msg110815
There are many ideas on this site :)

oc1

Every time I go to make something like that my son tells me it would be simpler and cheaper to use a servo motor with a programmable controller.  If I ever figure out what he's talking about I'll let you know.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

;D ;D ;D

Servo motors are cool and can be very powerful but it's overkill and expensive. 24v or 36v e-bike motors are all you need - the power supply and control electronics are cheap.
I used tooth belt drives to lower the speed/increase the torque.

foakes

It sounds like you are set on building your own line winder from assorted components, Gobi — and I applaud that approach.

However, in this case, I wonder if you would not be ahead by buying a good used line-winder metering machine — starting from that point — and modifying it to suit your needs?

I have (3) winders I bought used, and (1) purchased new from my line supplier.

I was able to get a Trilene by Tri-Winder used HDII which will handle up to large Senators, Internationals, Shimanos, Okuma, etc. — used for $150, a few years ago.  It is pretty simple to modify to give the line-load numbers you will be looking for.

These already have the proper motors, controls, pulleys, line adjusters, reel mounts, etc.

You will likely spend $300 to $400 just in components that may or may not work satisfactorily when your project is completed.

There is much satisfaction in doing what you are doing — learning — and fun.  

But sometimes, even though you could build a car from scraps and pieces — it is better to just drive one.

If you search around, you can find used line metering loaders for bargain prices — might take a couple of weeks — but just the right one will come along.

Just my thoughts..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Chris
What is the watt rating on the 36v motor you have, I ask cuz I want to figure out how much is needed to make this work.

The sewing machine motor I was looking at is 3/4 hp,

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Consew-Energy-Industrial-Machine/dp/B06Y18VSR7

This is a brushless servo motor with electronic speed control.

Fred,
Yes Sir, I am not for reinventing the wheel. I have been trying to buy a used winder for years now, the local Ace hardware closed down their fishing dept, and I was in line to buy the winder but the owner kept it for himself. Then the gander mountain went out of business and I miss the winder by a few days.

Buying an item like this without trying it unseen makes me nervous, the new ones well outside my $$$ reach, hence I caved and bought the beez azz spool bracket  ;D
My rational was to get the best of breed parts and assemble a winder.

Nice collection of winders!

I have been spooling them by hand using the beez azzz but controlling the line lay and winding by hand using my kite rod was awkward to say the least.

At the minimum, I need a sturdy reel bracket to hold the reel and mount on a piece of plywood and wind with one hand and control the line lay with the other. This could be an interim solution till I find a HD used winder.

Used:
There is a Triangle Sports Super II Triwinder on ebay right now, about $600 with shipping, will this be powerful enough to load up those Mak 80w with 130# jb  for some cow blue gills in MI  ;D

Steve, I had to watch a whole bunch of youtube videos to get up to speed on the latest and greated off the shelf solutions for servo motors with speed control  :D

Any ideas where I can source a sturdy reel bracket, something like the pro power winder cam bracket

Fichigan

alantani

as is, this unit will not work.  here's mine.  it's an older version.  the clamp for the reel works best.  the version that you are looking at has a reel seat that is too light.  also, the motor is too small on yours.  it is literally the size of a soda can.  jim nomura changed out the motor for me.  he can likely still do this.  contact him at jnomura@pacbell.net

so for this winder, you will need to change out the brake material to greased carbon fiber, you will need to switch out the motor to a larger one third horse power size, and you will need to pray that the bracket for the reel holds up.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi - the motor you indicated is (IMHO) way too fast and too powerful. Bear in mind you will need to reduce the final drive speed to something sensible (4500rpm ain't a sensible speed 3/4 HP too much no need) - I opted for 3 revs per second at the reel (180 rpm). The motor I used was a 250 or 300 watt 36v (I can't remember which) - rated at approx. 2500rpm. Cost £21 from UK ebay. The spindle size on these motors is typically 8mm (I also used 8mm shafts in the rest of the drive train. To get the speed I wanted required approx. 12 to 14:1 reduction. I achieved this with a double tooth belt and pulleys arrangement. Ratios approx 3.666:1 - IIRC 12 tooth motor pulley and 44 tooth intermediate drive pulley followed by a similar 12/44 arrangemet for the final drive. Pulley and tooth belt specs were PB TYPE XL 037 1/5in pitch these are more than strong enough. All in cost, I think, was way under £100. The winder is still going strong :)

Gobi King

Alan,
Thanks, I emailed Jim for details on the motor. The reel bracket seems to be weak link in most of the them, I watched the "Team Hard Life" winding line on a 130 and it was wobbling all over.

The beesknees line spool holder has carbon fiber drag material I believe, though I am not sure if they greased with CALs. I bought it as the design seems pretty solid.

Chris,

That is what I thought too, but check out this video pls:

I used to a bit of sewing and looks this is motor can be lowered to 500 rpm, with a 5:1 pully, 100 rpm will be possible,

300 watts is bit less than 1/2 hp,  wow, that is a lot of power out of a bike motor that runs on LI batts.

As Fred pointed out, it will simpler to pick up one of those used ones.

I think I will get a adhoc reel bracket going to pin the reel down so I can start spooling up the smaller reels by hand.

Fichigan

Glos

Quote from: Dominick on July 22, 2013, 03:23:10 AM
There is no end to the talent on this site.  Thanks for showing us.  Dominick

True. I regularly get stuck reading threads..
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Htuong95

My spool winder made from an old projector stand.